Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Firebird Elite

Larry W

I really love the look of this 'bird. No one near me has one in stock so that I can try it.

Does anyone know about the neck carve on this 'bird? I also have a 2016 Firebird T. I am wondering if the neck carve is the same or something different. Gibson's descriptions are not much to go on.

Body_angle.jpg

Gibson describes it as a slim taper. They use that description for all the Firebirds on their website (2015-2018). My guess is there probably isn't much if any difference from the one you have. I have a 15' Firebird and with the exception of the slightly wider neck it feels similar to other birds' I've played. Looks like the real differences between the Elite and a T model from years past is the finish, the gold hardware, and the torrified granadillo fretboard. Very sexy guitar though. If they come down in price at the end of the year I might have a go at one myself. Altough I'm still holding out hope that the Flying V in natural is a 2019 model option like the one that was leaked a few weeks ago. That's what my money is currently earmarked for.

I seriously considered buying this Guitar or the 2018 'BLACK BIRD' Model to pretty much complete my li'l collection of GIBSON Guitar's....but the MINI-Humbucker's killed that idea ! I have a 'Firebird' MINI-Hummer in a NIGHTHAWK and its just not, not...... FAT enough.....too bad, as this is one Beauty of an Axe, the 2018 FIREBIRD GIBSON calls the 'BLACKBIRD' is even COOLER looking, but those MINI's........

Well.......

There are some bad rattles......B string 7th Fret, A string 9th fret, E string 5, 6, and 7th frets. And it seems like everyday there is another rattling fret. This guitar is Plek'd. What is going on. Dealer thinks it is movement in the wood. The build date is 5-23-18. I am in Georgia. So it is pretty much the same climate as Nashville.

I have a RMA and an exchange in the works.

Are you sure the rattle you're hearing isn't coming from vibrating tuners?

Well, actually, I have not checked them. Can they rattle? The ones on my 2016 Firebird T have always felt very solid.

This one is on the way back to Sweetwater and a replacement on the way to me.

So, what rattles on the Steinberger tuner?

• 2 weeks later...

ok some positive feed back...bought the 2018 gibson firebird elite..the guitar is elite can't find a issue anywhere,,plays and sounds great neck is totally different than my 2016 firebird t.......the build is great compered to the 2016..my only wish is that they would shield these guitars..other than that best new gibson i bought in a long time..the fret work is spot on..loaded some photos hope they show up...if your thinking about a new firebird this is it..top notch...thanks gibson...

Archived