Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Father's Day / Birthday

drathbun

Father's Day came early for me yesterday. My son arrived with a brand-new Taylor GS Mini-e Walnut! At my birthday in April, he said something was "on its way". And since I'm out of town next week for Father's Day he brought over a box marked "Taylor". I was floored! Such an amazing gift and what a surprise!

Even if you are a Gibson fan, you have to admire these little guitars. They are so much fun to play and they are so transportable! They are 23.5" scale and come strung with medium strings. If you don't know these guitars, they are an absolute brainstorm from Taylor. Solid sitka spruce tops (some are koa or mahogany) with laminated walnut (mahogany, koa) back and sides. This is no back bracing as the laminate is pressed into an arched, parabolic bowl curve which projects like a cannon!

It comes with an ES-B pickup/preamp combo that includes a digital tuner. The pickup/tuner are powered by two 3v lithium cell (CR2032) battery. It also comes with the Taylor "hard bag" - a gig bag that uses rigid foam to make it sturdy. Very portable and wonderful little guitar.

alRYQQf.jpg?1

7aIU2k8.jpg?1

SBnZoZX.jpg?1

G3a3HOr.jpg?1

The anomaly of the GS Mini is something that found me in one of the best possible ways- at a guitar workshop (good luck with these workshops if you are averse to music theory). . . the room was filled with high end guitars- nice Martins, Collingses, etc. The one guitar that caught my ear with it's distinct voice was one I couldn't see among the players. It wasn't prejudged by the logo on it's headstock. At the break, I got to talking with it's owner, who said he got one for his son, liked it so much, he picked himself up one as well. The 23.5 scale will have you surprising yourself with the reaches you can pull off. Cool arched back and scale length gives some projection, at a cost that doesn't take itself too seriously. Well made gigbag case with shoulder strap(s) for hands free toting too.

Good son, you have there. Happy father's day to you, and to all of the fathers who encouraged (or tolerated) their kids who had interest in doing music.

The anomaly of the GS Mini is something that found me in one of the best possible ways- at a guitar workshop (good luck with these workshops if you are averse to music theory). . . the room was filled with high end guitars- nice Martins, Collingses, etc. The one guitar that caught my ear with it's distinct voice was one I couldn't see among the players. It wasn't prejudged by the logo on it's headstock. At the break, I got to talking with it's owner, who said he got one for his son, liked it so much, he picked himself up one as well. The 23.5 scale will have you surprising yourself with the reaches you can pull off. Cool arched back and scale length gives some projection, at a cost that doesn't take itself too seriously. Well made gigbag case with shoulder strap(s) for hands free toting too.

Good son, you have there. Happy father's day to you, and to all of the fathers who encouraged (or tolerated) their kids who had interest in doing music.

Thanks, 62burst!

I got him a guitar a couple years ago. An Epiphone ej160e John Lennon...

xg3hgFw.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived