Gibson Brands Forums

Pimp my Melody Maker!

newfiesig

Hey guys, just landed a good deal on a 2011 Melody Maker. As luck should have it, the previous owner dropped in a 57 Classic +, the exact pup I wanted.

My intent was to mine the guitar for the pup, toss the original pup back in and sell. Problem is (if you can call it that) I plugged it into my JVM and love it.

So now I'm keeping it and need your help. The body has a few nicks, nothing that can't be sanded out. I'm looking at repainting the full thing.

Here are my questions, but any extra advice is also greatly appreciated:

-what colour do you recommend? I'm currently thinking silverburst.

-what type of paint/clear coat (if any) would you use?

-how would you go about replacing the Gibson silkscreen?

-what parts would you replace, and with what (tuners, bridge, pickguard, nut, etc.)?

-would you reroute the jack? If so, how?

Once I get started I'll post progress pics for more input :)

Thanks!

The best advice I think is don't. Its not regular paint, Gibson' s use Nitrocellulose lacquer. Its very toxic and you will need a spray booth and a respirator. Normal enamel spray paints will not harden enough for good finish. You might try repairing scratches by matching the finish with automotive touch up paint.

Also, it would be a mistake to sand off the logo.

It looks pretty cool in the photo..But if you are dead set on tricking it out, you might want to find an airbrush artist.

The best advice I think is don't. Its not regular paint, Gibson' s use Nitrocellulose lacquer. Its very toxic and you will need a spray booth and a respirator. Normal enamel spray paints will not harden enough for good finish. You might try repairing scratches by matching the finish with automotive touch up paint.

Also, it would be a mistake to sand off the logo.

It looks pretty cool in the photo..But if you are dead set on tricking it out, you might want to find an airbrush artist.

I'm not dead set on tricking it out as of yet... May still pull the 57 Classic + out and put back the stock pickup. Either sell (after cleanup, restring, etc.) or keep as a travel guitar.

I would LEAVE IT ALONE, and JUST PLAY IT ! It looks playable enough (and kinda COOL loking as it is)......... and you might just ruin it. U sau you 'Fell in love with it..', as it is now yes? How would you feel if you ruined it?

Just play it till the frets are so dented they need changing. THEN, replace the Frets, repeat.......

I would LEAVE IT ALONE, and JUST PLAY IT ! It looks playable enough (and kinda COOL loking as it is)......... and you might just ruin it. U sau you 'Fell in love with it..', as it is now yes? How would you feel if you ruined it?

Just play it till the frets are so dented they need changing. THEN, replace the Frets, repeat.......

amen.jpg

My friend, I shall take your advice (and the advice of the others here) and leave it be. Cheers!

My friend, I shall take your advice (and the advice of the others here) and leave it be. Cheers!

Nice one ! You know, it looks like a COOL li'l AXE, perfect road or practice AXE......perfect for when your figuring out new songs or just practicing or giggin at a 'DEW DROP INN' type Hole-in-the-wall, where you might not want to bring #1, eh? So you bring the good ol' trusty Melody Maker, it is a GIBSON....... and when your done practicing or ur giggin' in a COOL enough place, BREAK -OUT # 1 or #2...... and LET HER RIP !!!

I had an 2016 'SG' Special Faded I just sold, it's a li'l nicer than the MM you have here. I needed the CA$H for an ES-335 Trad. or I would have kept it ! So now, in the near future, I have to get another one like this so as to do what I just mentioned.

Also, it is only obvious what POS the lower end GIBSON USA Model's are when you play them UN-PLUGGED, they don't resonate and sound just terrible due to the wood grades used. BUT PLUGGED IN, they sound ALMOST as good as the STANDARD's....and for $500 +/- you almost can't go wrong.

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!

Nice one ! You know, it looks like a COOL li'l AXE, perfect road or practice AXE......perfect for when your figuring out new songs or just practicing or giggin at a 'DEW DROP INN' type Hole-in-the-wall, where you might not want to bring #1, eh? So you bring the good ol' trusty Melody Maker, it is a GIBSON....... and when your done practicing or ur giggin' in a COOL enough place, BREAK -OUT # 1 or #2...... and LET HER RIP !!!

I had an 2016 'SG' Special Faded I just sold, it's a li'l nicer than the MM you have here. I needed the CA$H for an ES-335 Trad. or I would have kept it ! So now, in the near future, I have to get another one like this so as to do what I just mentioned.

Also, it is only obvious what POS the lower end GIBSON USA Model's are when you play them UN-PLUGGED, they don't resonate and sound just terrible due to the wood grades used. BUT PLUGGED IN, they sound ALMOST as good as the STANDARD's....and for $500 +/- you almost can't go wrong.

KEEP ROCKIN' !!!

I've got her all cleaned up and put in a HSC. Keeping all stock (besides the PUP that was upgraded when I got it). I got to say, sounds great with the 57 Classic through the hot-rodded JCM 800 channel on my JVM, like a much more formidable guitar.

Archived