Gibson Brands Forums

Hi Newbie here needing help

Hi and thank you for allowing me to joining the forum. My son has just started his own repair business building a workshop attached to our house. In between repairs we buy and sell to help make ends meet. So cutting to the short, we bought a guitar that had been heavily abused with someone expressing their anger with an electronic sander (I assume). The photo's cant detail how much of the surface has been remove, including the top of the headstock, neck and headstock veneer. The body has also been attacked but only in paint removal. The routing has been chiselled and reshaped into ...no shape so not sure what they were hoping to instal.

Ok would love to know if this actually genuine. So far I feel the truss cover looks genuine,along with the truss rod nut. There is the remains of a book shape on the headstock but not much and the neck I believe is mahoghany, so that leaves me leaning to the possibility it maybe genuine. I have absolutely no knowledge of bolt on Gibson Les Paul's and didn't know such a thing existed as a young player living in the UK. Hope the photo's help

post-92835-020545900 1528630601_thumb.jpg

post-92835-040549500 1528632704_thumb.jpg

post-92835-061845200 1528632725_thumb.jpg

post-92835-009719700 1528632743_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is VERY weird......blink.gif......

There has been some strange work carried out on that thing (No Sh!t, Sherlock!). There doesn't seem to be any doubt that the neck is a genuine Gibson item - the peghead has the correct 'wings' - but the sides appear to have been worked on to make the head narrower. There are also plugs filling-in 'alternative' tuning-peg holes. Possibly the narrower head made the original tuner placement impractical / impossible and the ones in use now are of a later date?

I don't think it's an Invader as that guitar (AFAIK - but I'm not an expert on these instruments) had no peghead inlay and the toggle-switch was in a different place. The body was also dressed-away at the bass-side lower bout. My first thought is that whilst the neck is a genuine Gibson neck (and the "closed 'b' and 'o' style narrows down the date a bit) the body might be from a Les Paul style copy. One thing which nags at me is that I have never seen a bolt-on Gibson neck with that particular inlay. As bolt-on neck Gibson guitars are at the lower end of the price scale they don't tend to have much money lavished on unimportant fripperies such as MOP peg-head inlays. Very Odd Indeed.

Pictures of the butt of the neck would be welcome as would high-quality pictures of the whole of the peghead (front and back) and what original areas remain of - and in - the pickup and wiring cavities.

It's certainly an interesting project to have!

Pip.

Archived