Gibson Brands Forums

New Song: Gibson acoustics in a pop mix

Old Neil

The recent AJ thread piqued my interest as I have just recorded my first proper track with it and my J-45. An original composition and arrangement. Just a love song for my sweetheart finished in time for an anniversary. (phew!)

Although the AJ and J-45 play together out front in the intro, they spend most of their time as the comp underlay to some minimalist electric guitar and electric bass. Live drumming and percussion round it out with some mixed in keyboard brass and string lines - which I sang in and had a friend later record the melody on a keyboard. Some lovely female vocals (obviously not me :-) ) under the later chorus and breadown sections give it some loving, pop sweetness.

The process was fun from laying down the rythm guitar on the J-45, to apeggiating the same chords on the AJ. The (male) vocals and backing vocals, like the guitars, are all done in single takes through a few song cycles and comped. Not a lot of editing needed either as I wanted to keep a looser, human feel.

Some have commented that they hear a mandolin in the mix. Nope, just the arpeggiating AJ EQ'd a tad to cut through a pop/rock mix. Thought that might be instructive to some of you who record with your Gibsons.

Anyway, here is the compressed Soundcloud version under my usual non de plume of 'RayDeeyay'. Questions, thoughts and feedback all welcome. :-)

https://soundcloud.c...n-love-with-you

That was very well done.

I agree - there are some useful high-mid and high-end tones with these Gibson's. I thought you put these to very good use throughout. Everything seemed well arranged and sonically designed. Never too much of anything. Maybe a couple things to push up here and there, but I have a habit to overdo such things. eg - maybe comp in and lift the those wonderful low-string riffs(?) in a few spots. Only in doing so, I would have done way too much and put the bright, happy sunshine emitting song at risk of being a bad-boy Country number. So yes, I admire what you've done. [thumbup]

That was very well done.

I agree - there are some useful high-mid and high-end tones with these Gibson's. I thought you put these to very good use throughout. Everything seemed well arranged and sonically designed. Never too much of anything. Maybe a couple things to push up here and there, but I have a habit to overdo such things. eg - maybe comp in and lift the those wonderful low-string riffs(?) in a few spots. Only in doing so, I would have done way too much and put the bright, happy sunshine emitting song at risk of being a bad-boy Country number. So yes, I admire what you've done. [thumbup]

Your observations made me smile PB as I am naturally more in your school of thought. Un EQ’d, the AJ in particular has a growly, rich, deep majesty that I would have preferred be left untouched, particularly in the exposed sections but there are swings and roundabouts to every choice and time and budget tend to force decisions be made sooner rather than later.

If it were a more ‘Vox and guitar unplugged ‘ piece I certainly would be following your sonic sensibilities. :-)

Thanks guys. Learning to place acoustics in a busy-ish mix is something I am still experimenting with.

It's not easy. The Gibsons are proving themselves to be very useful tracking guitars in my short time knowing them. I'm already gassing my next edition 3 years from now. :lol:

Archived