Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom 1977

JVC

Everything looks correct for the period although whether all the fittings are those originally installed by the factory is impossible to discern from pictures.

My main doubts would centre on the relative lack of tarnishing to the gold hardware for a 41 year old guitar but if it was well cared-for it could be all-original.

I wasn't 100% sure about the black mirror knobs but I've just checked with a source-book and, yes, those are correct for 1977.

Pip.

jaysus that is in what appears to be incredible condition.

I would have the same question pip does. The lack of tarnish, if all original, is remarkable.

What's the fret wear look like? may have been a case queen...

Is this one of the 'Pancake' or should I say 'Multi-piece' Body Models? They were disconitnued right about the time this Model was produced and could be a way to identify it. A simple phone-call to GIBSON would be a good idea too, I've done this on occassion and they're pretty helpful with ID'ing Axe's. The Serial #'s went to the YDDDYRRR in 1977, so it should have the # 7 in the 1st and 5th position of an 8 digit serilal #, and from the picture it looks like there are 7's in the correct positions, check. The HEADSTOCK also has a binding which is correct, check and double-cut Diamond logo, check ! A good point is made about 'ORIGINAL' parts still being on the Guitar being kinda almost impossible to tell.

My NON-Professional opinion, it is a 1977 GIBSON 'Les Paul' CUSTOM, in good shape too, ROCKIN' .

...Is this one of the 'Pancake' or should I say 'Multi-piece' Body Models? They were disconitnued right about the time this Model was produced...

Curious...

According to Tony Bacon in his "The Les Paul Guitar Book" the 'cross-banding' (Pancake) method was abandoned in circa '73. He is quite clearly in error as Pancake bodies were still being made until (as you say) '77. Just goes to show one should never believe everything one reads even in highly-regarded source-books!

BTW; I forgot to mention the other day that the guitar in the OP has (Dunlop?) straplocks fitted...if that matters at all.

Pip.

Curious...

According to Tony Bacon in his "The Les Paul Guitar Book" the 'cross-banding' (Pancake) method was abandoned in circa '73. He is quite clearly in error as Pancake bodies were still being made until (as you say) '77. Just goes to show one should never believe everything one reads even in highly-regarded source-books!

BTW; I forgot to mention the other day that the guitar in the OP has (Dunlop?) straplocks fitted...if that matters at all.

Pip.

Who knows??? I would rather go to GIBSON with questions about original equipment/Historical facts about specific Guitars and things llike that than books by 'EXPERT''s, but I have yet to see a comprehensive 'BLUE 'BOOK' by GIBSON. Have they published one ? if so... I'd like to see it.

Archived