Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Vintage 2016 vs 2018

Bronzestar

I don't believe there is (perhaps apart from some minor burst-nuances).

2016* was the year Bozeman introduced the torrefied top plus so called plek-treatment and I guess the Bird stayed there.

I would write Gibson customer-service to be certain or else just go for the 16 quick.

Have fun and tell us how things unfolded.

*a few came out in 15.

I’m curious about this as well. Is the 2018 model finish new? They tout the 2018 as “Finished with Gibson's new Thin Finish plus a hand rubbed VOS process.” The 2016 only states VOS finish.

Good question,

Next one is, on serious dealer websites I saw that the 18 model has the custom shop logo on the headstock. The 16 not. Why that?

Good question,

Next one is, on serious dealer websites I saw that the 18 model has the custom shop logo on the headstock. The 16 not. Why that?

Be thankful it doesn't have the custom shop sticker. Lots of folks here don't care for the additional sticker on the back of the neck, but really doesn't matter. What matters are the specs of the guitar.

Be thankful it doesn't have the custom shop sticker. Lots of folks here don't care for the additional sticker on the back of the neck, but really doesn't matter. What matters are the specs of the guitar.

Glad to hear that Nick. Thx

So we go back to the original question. Anyone if there are differences between the models or will they sound „more or less“ the same?

Are you buying sight-unseen/sound-unheard? Acoustic guitars vary from one to another just as much as, and maybe even more than, from year to year. Personally, I'd rather have the older one, irregardless of price difference, especially if it is a new old stock ('been sitting in the back room) model.

I really don't think there is any difference between the two, but if there is, it will be very, very minor at most. If serious about this model, go for the 2016. There is just no way the 2018 can be worth 1800 Euros more. That is just insane!!! It might very well be the marginally better guitar, but so might the 2016. Either way, both will be great guitars with their own individuality.

Just my personal opinion...

Lars

I still have my 2016, so obviously not one of those forum members who let theirs go. The ‘toasted’ top gives it greater note clarity than any standard Hummingbird I have played - which is, for some, a plus, for others a minus depending on strumming/ picking preferences.

Regardless of these new-fangled vintage aging processes it still sounds like new (ish) guitar, albeit a very good one. The velvety part is usually a factor of aging, assuming the guitar was a good’un to begin with - and this most certainly is a good guitar.

The same people making the same guitar with the same materials. Two years apart. Don't over-think this. If you like the H'Bird. If you liked (loved) the 2018) you'll love the 2016. Just remember, it breaks in over a 2-3 year period anyway!

If you blink.... you lose!

The same people making the same guitar with the same materials. Two years apart. Don't over-think this. If you like the H'Bird. If you liked (loved) the 2018) you'll love the 2016. Just remember, it breaks in over a 2-3 year period anyway!

If you blink.... you lose!

Like 40 years says: this one is a no-brainer. In the US, you could take that 1800 euro difference (about $2000 US) and buy another nice Gibson.

Probably the first thing you want to do when you get it (after playing a bit) is change the strings, if it has been hanging on the wall for some time. Strings make more difference in nominally-identical guitars than anything else. Unless you have favorite strings, be prepared to experiment for a while.

From my perspective, you can't go wrong with DR Sunbeams on a Gibson mahogany flat top. Warm but articulate, and reasonably long-lasting. Slightly lower tension because of the round core.

2 members of this forum owned the 2016 release, but both members let the guitars go...maybe they will check in. I thought both guitars sounded great.

Best wishes on your decision.

I tend to remember 4 - plus Old Neil.

Here's a video from once enthusiastic, now vanished member Jesse D.

2016 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N04_PPOcuU8

Wonder if he still has the Bird.

Thx folks for all the nice answers,

just ordered the 2016 Modell NEW for 3400 Dollar instead the 2018 Modell for 5300 dollar.

It will arrive on Saturday.

Will inform you all :-)

Thanks!!

Great choice. I think the $1900 saving is going to massively outweigh any variations between the two. Both have fantastic specs and are going to be great instruments which will give a lifetime of pleasure.

I had a similar choice in 2016 when I bought my SJ200, the 2016 models came with the Baggs Anthwm pickup and the 2015s came with the Fishman Aura Ellipse, but otherwise were pretty much identical, except my 2015 cost me £2400 as opposed to the 2016 costing £3799.

The main reason for this killer deal was that the dealer had five identical SJ200s in stock (two 2015s, three 2016s) due to the batty distribution policy that Gibson have/had, and as a big ticket instrument he knew he could well have some of them sitting around for another couple of years, especially given the price hikes Gibson had recently imposed.

I’d always go for the NOS deal, after all in the blink of an eye it’ll be five/ten/fifty years old anyway.

BronzeStar - Congrats! Even if they sounded slightly 'different' - it would be cork-sniffingly subjective to say one was 'better'.

And, as Jinder stated - it''ll be old soon. It seems like only a few months ago I got my J45Ck brand new. I'm still in the 'honeymoon' period' and it's 5 years old !

BronzeStar - Congrats! Even if they sounded slightly 'different' - it would be cork-sniffingly subjective to say one was 'better'.

And, as Jinder stated - it''ll be old soon. It seems like only a few months ago I got my J45Ck brand new. I'm still in the 'honeymoon' period' and it's 5 years old !

Thx for that Friends,

i thought a second about grabbing my 2016 when i got it, drive to the shop with the 2018, and compare them. Worst thing would be, i like the 2018 more than my 2016. But i dont wanna send the 16 back and pay 1800 on top for the 18.

Think this is going to far :-) Laugh.............................

Thx for that Friends,

i thought a second about grabbing my 2016 when i got it, drive to the shop with the 2018, and compare them. Worst thing would be, i like the 2018 more than my 2016. But i dont wanna send the 16 back and pay 1800 on top for the 18.

Think this is going to far :-) Laugh.............................

Are you sure - could be quite a mission. And maybe - if the 18 flies above the 16 - a deal could be made.

In both cases it would give perspective and reassure you the right Bird is in your hands. An invaluable feeling when it comes to high-end guitars, trust me. .

Unless he's listing it at Gibson's suggested retail price, getting a shop to come down 1/3rd off his price is definitely "a mission'. First you'd have to get the shop to put on the same new strings you put on you 2016 and hope they're both humidified at the same level. Then, if you feel his guitar is better, you'd have to convince him to lower his price 33% to match the price on an "inferior" guitar you got off the internet. That would wipe out his profit and cause him to lose money on the sale. If he IS listing at the "MSRP" you might get him to come down. I'd guess 10%.

Archived