Gibson Brands Forums

What to look for

I'm going to look at a 2002 Black Beauty tomorrow. If there is a status less than novice - that's me. I'm currently learning on Yousician, about 5 weeks in. I'm playing a Peavey Raptor at the moment, so I'm expecting quite a bit of difference - in weight, feel and sound.Is there a checklist for how to determine if it's OK or not? I've already gotten the S/N and verified it with Gibson, so that's good.I'll attach the pix I have.

post-92933-071985700 1528828005_thumb.jpg

post-92933-025391100 1528828020_thumb.jpg

Here's some stuff to look for:

1. Play every note on the fretboard with and without the amp. . Listen for buzzing. You don't want any.

2. Check to make sure connections are good and when connecting instrument cable. Bring your own reliable cable.

3 check toggle switch. Make sure all pickups are working properly.

4 Do the tuners look and seem to operate solidly?

5 find out about previous owners. How many. What modifications have been made to it over the years.

Those are just some of the ones you want to make sure to do.

There are more...

Here's some stuff to look for:

1. Play every note on the fretboard with and without the amp. . Listen for buzzing. You don't want any.

2. Check to make sure connections are good and when connecting instrument cable. Bring your own reliable cable.

3 check toggle switch. Make sure all pickups are working properly.

4 Do the tuners look and seem to operate solidly?

5 find out about previous owners. How many. What modifications have been made to it over the years.

Those are just some of the ones you want to make sure to do.

There are more...

Thanks for the help. I'm all ears if you wanna list more!!

Are there commonly known issues with this year/make/model?

Thanks for the help. I'm all ears if you wanna list more!!

Are there commonly known issues with this year/make/model?

Have you gotten range of prices this model is selling for, currently? A good failsafe (or at least as much of a failsafe you can get in this crazy world) is can you sell it if it turns out not to be the right guitar for you. If the seller is confident and honest, he/she should not mind you having it given a good once over by a luthier. Depending on the cost of the guitar, is it worth a few bucks to be certain there are no hidden issues. If you are new to this whole world of guitars, as I am, you would be well served to have a pro set-up anyway. I have been sucked into an emotional purchase on more than one occasion. Don't be afraid to walk away if something does not feel right. I wish you the best and please post an update so we know how the story goes.

Craig

Have you gotten range of prices this model is selling for, currently? A good failsafe (or at least as much of a failsafe you can get in this crazy world) is can you sell it if it turns out not to be the right guitar for you. If the seller is confident and honest, he/she should not mind you having it given a good once over by a luthier. Depending on the cost of the guitar, is it worth a few bucks to be certain there are no hidden issues. If you are new to this whole world of guitars, as I am, you would be well served to have a pro set-up anyway. I have been sucked into an emotional purchase on more than one occasion. Don't be afraid to walk away if something does not feel right. I wish you the best and please post an update so we know how the story goes.

Craig

He was asking $600, and I told him I'd do $550 max (after starting at $375). I looked at the guitar blue book, but couldn't find the exact model. $475 was mint on an Epi Custom Pro (I think). I'm OK w the price as long as its in good shape.

Thanks for the idea about getting it checked out. I've got a local shop I like and will take it to them.

He was asking $600, and I told him I'd do $550 max (after starting at $375). I looked at the guitar blue book, but couldn't find the exact model. $475 was mint on an Epi Custom Pro (I think). I'm OK w the price as long as its in good shape.

Reverbs suggested price is from $420 to $580 without a hard case.

Check or have someone check the truss rod.

Hold down the first fret and the 15th (right?). Check the gap at the 7th fret. Turn the truss rod a quarter-turn, and make sure the gap either gets smaller (if you turn it to the right looking down the neck) or larger (if you turn it to the right). If so, great. Adjust to taste.

Never force the truss rod.

I don't wanna add to the mystification of the truss rod, but it might be a good idea to have someone who's done it before check it and gauge the amount the neck moves.

Good luck, and welcome to this forum!

So I made the purchase. Attached a couple of photos.

Seemed good to me. Going to my local music shop on Saturday to change the strings, have it set up, etc.

Thanks for all of the comments.

A real beauty in black...

Archived