Gibson Brands Forums

Easy to go video / audio

uncle fester

Hi folks - with fathers day around the corner, i'm looking to drop hints. Do people have experience / recommendations with audio video set ups that are real easy to use and produce a decent sound.

I.e. is it best to plug a decent mic into my iphone and record from there. Does garage band do import video as well, or is it only audio? I currently use a presonus, which is great for audio, but that's a whole computer set up, and doing a mobile set up fro a video is not super easy. Really appreciate any input.

Rgds - billroy

I bought an iPad mini a few years ago because the only videos I had were crappy computer cam videos with bad audio and worse video. With Garageband you can get pretty clean multi-tracks pretty quickly with little experience and knowledge. And Apple video/cameras are as good or better than anybody.

My Soundcloud channel

has a few old Tascam DP-01FX recordings (3), but the Tascam obsoleted itself and my new desktop won't recognize it. And it was a super pain in the arse to use, you had to keep the directions handy it was NOT user friendly. I think it was 40 gig. Sounded good but was a lot of work to use it. So all of the rest of my Soundcloud stuff was done with the iPad mini.

I bought the Apogee mic because Sal had one and had great tone on his videos and it's a great $ 100.00 investment. On my last youTube video I didn't bring it and wished I had, but we were just goofing around in the woods.

I have to say the iPad mini is pretty perfect for what I wanted it to do, small, easy to figure out, 128 gig, backed up to iCloud, I have a little stand for it and Apple stuff just works without hiccups.

I bought my daughter a new iPad Pro 10.5 with 256 gig (high school graduation gift) to start college with and she was composing stuff on Garageband in a few minutes with ZERO instructions from the old man.

I see a day when I won't even need a computer, everything can be done with an iPad.

Best of luck, my friend.

In my opinion it doesnt get easier than an iPad or iPhone, and an Apogee MiC. You can use garageband to multitrack without video to make sound files. Or you can simply use the camera/video in concert with the external MiC.

I go one step further... if I am multitracking, I record the first track using the video camera, bring that into garageband, and then add a harmony or second guitar etc....

I have to say the iPad mini is pretty perfect for what I wanted it to do, small, easy to figure out, 128 gig, backed up to iCloud, I have a little stand for it and Apple stuff just works without hiccups.

I have been thinking about getting an iPad Mini 4 (128gb with cellular), although I want to use it for other things. Problem is, Apple has not updated the Mini since 2015 and most people expect it to be completely discontinued soon with no new Mini's. There are still many happy users, but the Mini 4 is just starting to look old and neglected. The full size 2018 iPad only costs $30 more so I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger on a Mini. Hard to understand why Apple has not at least lowered the price on the Mini. Unless there's a compelling reason why you need the smaller size, the regular iPad is a much better deal - the processor is 2 generations newer and it also supports the Apple Pencil. That's a lot more bang for 30 bucks. :)

If you decide to get a Mini 4, the Apple refurbs are the best deal (they have have new batteries, new shells and the same 1 year warranty as new). https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Yep, another Apogee MiC 96k purchase, influenced by Sal, here as well. I also purchased the 3m Lightning cable from their website, which allows the cable to be out of the way, wrapped around the boom for the mic.

One thing I had to get used to- if you play back on the iPhone set to speakerphone, you may lose the green ready light indicator on the mic… Just toggle back n’ forth from speaker on your phone &/or replug in the cable until you get the green light.

Refurb’ed mics w/ warranty also offered on the Apogee website.

Sal- you’re bringing video into GarageBand?

Thank you all. I've got an iPhone, so it seems like the Apogee mic is the way to go (thinking I'll go with the lightning cable). This should give me the good enough base recording, then use something else to tweak it as needed. Will check out garage band, but with it being the iPhone, it's pretty small - so may need to do it on my PC. Will see.

Not sure if Buc is around, but I believe he uses a different mic. I searched threads, but could not find it (i'm limited in my capabilities at times). It had 2 mics and looked to plug right into the phone. I don't like the 'plug right into the phone, would want a cable attachment) - but the videos Buc has put together always sound good. The apogee seems like it would do everything needed and get's the accolades to back it up, but was wondering if anyone else had personal experience / opinions?

Rgds again - billroy

PS: I hope the mic will make me sound like this: Wandering (by murph) (Murph - hope you don't mind me posting, really dug the song... and how do you get 'Murph' from Ben D?)

Thank you all. I've got an iPhone, so it seems like the Apogee mic is the way to go (thinking I'll go with the lightning cable). This should give me the good enough base recording, then use something else to tweak it as needed. Will check out garage band, but with it being the iPhone, it's pretty small - so may need to do it on my PC. Will see.

Not sure if Buc is around, but I believe he uses a different mic. I searched threads, but could not find it (i'm limited in my capabilities at times). It had 2 mics and looked to plug right into the phone. I don't like the 'plug right into the phone, would want a cable attachment) - but the videos Buc has put together always sound good. The apogee seems like it would do everything needed and get's the accolades to back it up, but was wondering if anyone else had personal experience / opinions?

Rgds again - billroy

PS: I hope the mic will make me sound like this: Wandering (by murph) (Murph - hope you don't mind me posting, really dug the song... and how do you get 'Murph' from Ben D?)

Murph is an amazing artist!!

and how do you get 'Murph' from Ben D?)

Murph is from MURPHY SLAW which is an original song from the 1998 DOUBLE AUGHT cd (which is available on iTunes and Google play [smile] )

Murphy Slaw is my anthem !

Murph is from MURPHY SLAW which is an original song from the 1998 DOUBLE AUGHT cd (which is available on iTunes and Google play [smile] )

Murphy Slaw is my anthem !

Funny - I had just posted about this, but didn't realize you had the song here (although I thought the version I saw was you with your J45?). Good Anthem!

Archived