Gibson Brands Forums

56 Gold Top

Dow

Hello!

So a few months ago I picked up a 56 Gold Top in excellent condition. It’s a 2004 Korean-made model. The previous owner had switched all the hardware to gold, which is a bit much to my eye but the price was right. I peaked in the body and it has orange drop caps and CRA POTS, which I’m assuming was another upgrade by him.

My question is this, is this thing really solid mahogany or was it made with an aldar or maple cap? I love the way it sounds with the two p90’s, but I’m going to try it with a mini humbucker in the bridge for a Neil Young type sound.

Any insight into the wood would be a huge help. Searching didn’t get me the clarity I’m hoping for. First time poster, so thanks for any help.

Btw my other guitar is a firebrand SG I picked up in 1986 for $100, which is without question the best deal I’ve ever gotten in my life. The epiphone plays super well and scratched my Les Paul itch without breaking the bank.

Dow

I totally agree- those p-90’s are supposedly “not as good” as the ones on the “pro” model, but they sound amazing in my rig. Through an EQD Acalpulco Gold it sounds like the roof is falling in. Not fizzy at all, just epic distortion. It’s such a well made guitar too. I’ll never get rid of it. The mini humbucker thing is just my NY love getting the best of me. I’m going to wire in a connector so I can switch it back easily. It may not last.

I have a 2017 56 Les Paul Standard Pro, that also comes with a Gold Top, but mine is a metallic red. Having played both the 56 Gold Top and the 56 Pro, I think the P-90 Classic pickups sound great very much like the 50's style P-90 did. I have 8 guitars with P-90's, one of which has a 58 P-90 in it. The 56 Gold Top comes with better cast machine 14:1 tuners and a 60's D profile slim taper neck. The 56 Pro has the cheaper Epiphone Deluxe, Kluson style, 18:1 tuners that usually don't last and a 50's C profile rounded neck (the fat neck). Both are made from mahogany, mine is really heavy 9 1/2 lbs.

So in the end these 56 Les Paul's have differences but they both sound great over a good amp.

yours

LesPaul56Gldtp_MG_Splash.jpg

mine

LesPaul56StandPRO_CR_Splash.jpg

Thanks for the info! It does indeed sound great through my ‘64 vibro champ, which is a good one. It also sounds good through my peavey classic 212, which I like but it’s not a super-fantastic amp. Surprisingly good with pedals. I’ve just had it since ‘86. Do you think it’s not made with a maple cap to save money on co steuction? Traditionally I understood LP’s were two piece construction. One more question: the wiring in mine is cloth wrapped. Is that original to the guitar or was it upgraded like the tone caps?

The current available spec's on the 56 Gold Top do not mention the Maple Veneer that Epiphone usually has on carved top Les Paul's. Yours being a 2004 it could have a Maple Veneer which may be visible in the routed pickup holes or the controls chamber. Also some of the upper end Korean Epi's had woven fabric covered wiring. My 56 Pro has regular plastic coated wiring.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1989 Korean 56GT. It does have a maple cap on a mahogany body, and pretty authentic P90's.

I have just recently read that some of the Epiphone LP's have a carved maple top and a maple veneer..

Archived