Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Gibson Custom Shop Modern Les Paul Standard -OR- 2014 CS R9??

cdeelstra

Looking at two possible models for my next guitar. Looking to not only make a good choice for playing, but an investment as well. That being said, im stuck between a 2017 Gibson Custom Shop Modern Les Paul Standard (with the apex head stock) and a 2014 Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue VOS... They are the same price range. Any thoughts to sway either way? Figured why not ask.. Thanks!

Anything you by new, that will still be available new, is probably not going to increase in value. The only things that go up in value are things you can't get anymore. Some current production guitars may go up in value a little, limited editions, etc., but as an investment you'd be better off in the stock market. I view all my guitars and amps as an expense for my enjoyment.

Apart from that, given the two choices, I think the R9 would hold it's value better (lose less on resale) and that's the one I'd pick (but not because of resale).

Good luck.

Looking at two possible models for my next guitar. Looking to not only make a good choice for playing, but an investment as well. That being said, im stuck between a 2017 Gibson Custom Shop Modern Les Paul Standard (with the apex head stock) and a 2014 Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue VOS... They are the same price range. Any thoughts to sway either way? Figured why not ask.. Thanks!

Get the R9. It's cooler and will retain more of its value than the custom standard. People buying guitars usually know what an R9 is. You will have trouble describing any other type of custom other than an actual Custom (like a Black Beauty).

The R9 is made to vintage specs and I've not played a bad sounding one yet. The "other" customs have been hit and miss in my experience. I own two reissues myself and I don't even look at standards, traditionally, classics, etc. anymore because none of them sound as good as those in the R2-R0 range.

As Black Dog has already stated neither of the guitars you mention will increase in value so it would be unwise to think of them as a potential investment.

The R9 will hold more value if that's your main criteria otherwise you must realise that, constructionally, they are two very different instruments. The R9 is crafted in such a way as to closely match the build of the original Les Paul Standard and has a solid (non-weight-relieved) mahogany body. The 2017 Standard, OTOH, has a chambered mahogany body. These chambered guitars sound subtly different from either solid- or 'regular' weight-relieved versions. They also tend to be quite a bit lighter. You really should check both types out to see which one measures up to your idea of what a Les Paul should be like.

What is this? It is in the first description line about the Modern LP...."an Apex headstock for improved stability"......

Some guitars from 2017 had a tapering triangular 'spine' running the length of the rear of the peghead to decrease the chances of a headstock fracture. It's Gibson's modern equivalent of the old Norlin-era 'volute'.

Pip.

As Black Dog has already stated neither of the guitars you mention will increase in value so it would be unwise to think of them as a potential investment.

The R9 will hold more value if that's your main criteria otherwise you must realise that, constructionally, they are two very different instruments. The R9 is crafted in such a way as to closely match the build of the original Les Paul Standard and has a solid (non-weight-relieved) mahogany body. The 2017 Standard, OTOH, has a chambered mahogany body. These chambered guitars sound subtly different from either solid- or 'regular' weight-relieved versions. They also tend to be quite a bit lighter. You really should check both types out to see which one measures up to your idea of what a Les Paul should be like.

Some guitars from 2017 had a tapering triangular 'spine' running the length of the rear of the peghead to decrease the chances of a headstock fracture. It's Gibson's modern equivalent of the old Norlin-era 'volute'.

Pip.

Muchas Gracias.

Archived