Gibson Brands Forums

Ridges forming in the finish of my 2017 J45...and I love it!

jjrpilot

When it first arrived it was glassy smooth but now, as you can see, the varnish is slowly settling into the grain of the wood. I LOVE this look! This J45 Standard has really started to open up and has gotten richer as I'm able to play it almost everyday.

I'm doing my best to avoid dings, and won't be abusing/relic-ing this guitar at all. I want it to show its age honestly. I'm just keeping it clean and humidified. I'd love to pass this guitar down to my daughter some day.

K6DtdRml.jpg

When it first arrived it was glassy smooth but now, as you can see, the varnish is slowly settling into the grain of the wood. I LOVE this look! This J45 Standard has really started to open up and has gotten richer as I'm able to play it almost everyday.

I'm doing my best to avoid dings, and won't be abusing/relic-ing this guitar at all. I want it to show its age honestly. I'm just keeping it clean and humidified. I'd love to pass this guitar down to my daughter some day.

K6DtdRml.jpg

I miss my j-50, those 45/50s are so terrific, this looks awesome and that Sounds like a wonderful git to hand down. if she doesnt want it, you can adopt me :)

The J45 is definitely a special kind of beast. And as you say you're doing, play it. If it's in a guitar case or just hanging on a wall, all it's doing is looking pretty. Got to use it while using commonsense and a bit of extra caution. I use all my Gibsons in my gigs. I don't take them to bars or places where people are literally shoulder-to-shoulder with little kids running around. I don't leave them alone on a guitar stand on the stage. My gigs are libraries, coffee houses, and wineries. Folks typically behave well at those places. Don't have any major dings as far as I know, but every-now-and-then I might bump the mic stand. Anyway, play it and use reasonable care. Get a recording and let us hear it. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Like that look myself.......somehow the texture has an appeal that a smooth gloss lacks. Anyway, looks good. My 45 Vintage was that way from day one........must be shrinkage due to moisture loss, part of it anyway. Do keep an eye on humidity.......5 or 10 points either way can make drastic differences in feel and tone. Maybe it's kind of nice to once in awhile hear an instrument change its' voice with the environment.

Archived