Gibson Brands Forums

Back on the Bus... NGD!!

newfiesig

While I was frustrated with my Les Paul Classic (recently sold to a happy new Les Paul owner), I simply could not shake the Les Paul bug. Today I just bought the last of 55 2015 Les Paul Traditional Limited Japan models from L&M.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/63972/Guitars/Electric_Guitars/Gibson/2015_Ltd_Edition_Japan_Les_Paul_Traditional_-_Heritage_Cherryburst.htm

It's currently being shipped and should be here in less than a week. There has been little information on these around the Interwebs, however here are the specs I got directly from Gibson:

· Body: Mahogany, Trad. weight relief

· Top: Flamed Maple

· Binding: 1-ply, Cream

· Neck: Mahogany

· Neck Construction: Set-in

· Neck Profile: Slim Taper

· Thickness at 1st Fret: 20.3

· Thickness at 12th Fret: 22.2

· Fretboard: Rosewood

· Scale in mm: 628

· Fretboard Radius in Inches: 12

· Number of Frets: 22

· Fretboard Inlays: Trapeze

· Nut type: Graph Tech

· Nut width in mm: 42.4

· Pickup: HH

· Manufacturer pickups: Gibson

· Neck Pickup: 1959 Tribute Humbucker

· Bridge Pickup: 1959 Tribute Humbucker

· Switch: 3-Way

· Control: 2x Vol, 2x Tone

· Bridge: Tune-o-Matic

· Tailpiece: Stopbar

· Strap Button: Standard

· Hardware: Chrome

· Finish: Nitrocellulose

· Colour: Heritage Cherry Sunburst

· Case included: Yes

I have only heard positive and can't wait for her to show up. People say the fit and finish rival a custom shop... not sure as I don't have it yet, however I do know from talking to Gibson that the woods were all specifically selected based on the Japan market request.

Only change I can see making is swapping out the tuners. Anyone have recommendations on a good set that will fit the stock holes? Since no screw holes have been drilled yet I have more options than most. And L&M said they would perform the install for free to maintain my warrenty.

post-91592-054734300 1529038002_thumb.jpeg

post-91592-010565900 1529038056_thumb.jpeg

post-91592-094034700 1529038100_thumb.jpeg

post-91592-027132300 1529038124_thumb.jpeg

post-91592-095443200 1529038147_thumb.jpeg

Why not leave the Les Paul bone-stock?

It'll hold its value better, that much is for sure.

Give the guitar a chance.

Maybe it'll stay in tune just fine.

Here's what I recommend you do;

Take it to band practice, and play it at your next live gig.

If it stays in tune, then you know you have a bone-stock winner!

:)

Why not leave the Les Paul bone-stock?

It'll hold its value better, that much is for sure.

Give the guitar a chance.

Maybe it'll stay in tune just fine.

Here's what I recommend you do;

Take it to band practice, and play it at your next live gig.

If it stays in tune, then you know you have a bone-stock winner!

:)

I do plan on giving it a chance, however I have to admit that I’m already leaning towards swap. I have a vintage build (trad) a vintage colour (cherry burst), and even vintage sounding pups. I’m not a fan of the computerized tuners in the mix.

While I was frustrated with my Les Paul Classic (recently sold to a happy new Les Paul owner), I simply could not shake the Les Paul bug. Today I just bought the last of 55 2015 Les Paul Traditional Limited Japan models from L&M.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/63972/Guitars/Electric_Guitars/Gibson/2015_Ltd_Edition_Japan_Les_Paul_Traditional_-_Heritage_Cherryburst.htm

It's currently being shipped and should be here in less than a week. There has been little information on these around the Interwebs, however here are the specs I got directly from Gibson:

I have only heard positive and can't wait for her to show up. People say the fit and finish rival a custom shop... not sure as I don't have it yet, however I do know from talking to Gibson that the woods were all specifically selected based on the Japan market request.

Only change I can see making is swapping out the tuners. Anyone have recommendations on a good set that will fit the stock holes? Since no screw holes have been drilled yet I have more options than most. And L&M said they would perform the install for free to maintain my warrenty.

Nice.

I like Grovers, but some do not. Is it coming from Japan?

Nice.

I like Grovers, but some do not. Is it coming from Japan?

It's a USA Les Paul made for the Jpn market. They were overborn by ~100 or so (they reduced their order...?). So many were sent to U.S. distributors and 55 were sent to Long & McQuade in Canada.

So yeah, a USA guitar made for Japan and sold in Canada.

I do plan on giving it a chance, however I have to admit that I’m already leaning towards swap. I have a vintage build (trad) a vintage colour (cherry burst), and even vintage sounding pups. I’m not a fan of the computerized tuners in the mix.

Oh my, I do apologize.

I didn't notice earlier that it had the G-Force auto-tuner thingie on there.

Yeah, I am not a fan of those either!!

[unsure]

It's a USA Les Paul made for the Jpn market. They were overborn by ~100 or so (they reduced their order...?). So many were sent to U.S. distributors and 55 were sent to Long & McQuade in Canada.

So yeah, a USA guitar made for Japan and sold in Canada.

I picked up my 2017 LE Explorer in natural last year and it was a similar situation to what you describe. They were made specifically for overseas sales but somehow (probably over order, non sales, etc.) AMS was able to snag a few and offer them in the states. I saw them on an Italian guitar website earlier in the year.

I picked up my 2017 LE Explorer in natural last year and it was a similar situation to what you describe. They were made specifically for overseas sales but somehow (probably over order, non sales, etc.) AMS was able to snag a few and offer them in the states. I saw them on an Italian guitar website earlier in the year.

How do you find the fit and finish vs regular explorers?

https://www.long-mcq...Cherryburst.htm

CONGRATS on your new Guitar !!! ENJOY that Bad-Boy !!! ONLY A GIBSON IS GOOD ENOUGH !!!!(Hopefully!)

How do you find the fit and finish vs regular explorers?

My explorer is really the only one I've ever played so comparing it to other explorers I couldn't say. Compared to the other Gibsons I own the fit and finish on it was top notch. I personally love the natural finish on Eplorers and Flying V's. Out of all the Gibson's I own the Explorer is one of my favorites. My only wish is that it came stock with pickup covers, but that's just personal taste.

The 59 Tribute are amazing pickups but if it's a 2015 why hasn't it got the G-force and Les Paul 100 scrawl on the headstock, did Gibson not do that for the Japanese market?

Ian

It does have the gforce, but not Les Paul 100, hologram, brass nut, or wider neck. I can only assume this was all as per the Jpn order.

Any other recommendations for tuners?

I am not sure if they are drop in replacements for the G-Force tuners, but I put some Kluson Revolution G-mount locking tuners on one of my guitars and really like them. They have a 19:1 tuning ratio and you can get the pearloid buttons to maintain the vibe of your guitar. Not sure about the Canadian market, but you can buy the tuners on eBay for a discount to what Kluson's US distributors sell them for.

http://www.kluson.com/revolution.html

I am not sure if they are drop in replacements for the G-Force tuners, but I put some Kluson Revolution G-mount locking tuners on one of my guitars and really like them. They have a 19:1 tuning ratio and you can get the pearloid buttons to maintain the vibe of your guitar. Not sure about the Canadian market, but you can buy the tuners on eBay for a discount to what Kluson's US distributors sell them for.

http://www.kluson.com/revolution.html

How would they compare to these?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/89296/Guitars/Parts/Schaller/G-Series-Deluxe-Keystone-Double-Ring-Toplocking-Machine-Heads.htm

I've never used the Schaller tuners, so I can't make a direct comparison. One difference is that the locking device on the Schaller tuners are on top and the locking device on the Revolution tuners are on the bottom. I couldn't tell you if there are benefits to either, but like everything else guitar it is probably a matter of personal preference. Another difference is that the gear ratio of the Schaller tuners is 16:1 and the gear ratio on the Revolution tuners is 19:1. The gear ratio represents the number of turns of the tuning key to get one complete turn of the string post. The higher the gear ratio, the more turns it takes for the string post to make a complete turn and the finer the tuning the tuner allows. You would likely be happy with either set of tuners, but since you asked for other recommendations, I thought I would put in a good word for the Kluson Revolution tuners since I am very happy with mine.

Congrats! Great looking and a great LP with the '59s. I have a 2015 with '59s and they are amazing. Really nail the classic LP sound.

The specs you have from Gibson do differ from the LM specs, specifically the neck profile and the weight relief. Regardless, still a killer LP.

Archived