Gibson Brands Forums

The Beatles vs The Stones!!

Dash_Starkiller

You're very welcome, BK777.

That Beatles' total score book is fantastic, but is deficient in one area. The print is too small. That's more about me getting long in the tooth more that anything else, though. It sure is loaded. That's another thing I wish the Stones had. To have a complete score (or close to it) would be pretty cool. There's not even a Sticky Fingers guitar tab book out. Most of it is well covered by other sources, but still....

Yes, the print is a VERY small...not a book for playing from front to back! More of a ‘get that track part/chords after shining the arc lamp from the garage on the pages for a few minutes’. After I get an idea for a fingerpicking part or arrangement for a song, I use Chordie.com or the like for the general chord/lyric. My other complaint about the book is how they are happy to put the a few lines of a verse, for example, on one page and a couple more lines on the next page! - ‘Something’ being an offender, but made up for by them supplying a good version of the lead solo by EC! I am also happy to play through some things I would never bother to work on by ear, just because they are there in the book - the flute solo in ‘Hide Your Love Away’ comes to mind....

I also looked everywhere for a Stones bible without luck and ended up with quite a number of tab books, often with some of the tunes repeated, but I do go for the ‘exact as recorded’ books. (In the early pre-TAB popular days, I had a couple of Stones books in ...gulp.....music notation, and wrong as well! Written out by a piano player or perhaps a trombonist - I had Sticky Fingers in this format! Still scratching my head at how complicated they made things).

BluesKing777.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in thread-post #100 I'd like to ask the author of #99 why Revolution #9 is stupid.

Very curious.

How many times have you said to your self man I just wanna hear a bunch of guys on LSD put a bunch of random snippets of absolute nonsense and nothing together on a really f-in great album. I think Ringo and Paul were not involved but unfortunately Yoko was. It's not really a song or any good or what I want to hear from probably my favorite group of all time. Its a turd in a punch bowl. Is that a good enough explanation. Or I can elaborate more.

Every documentary about an English rock group form the 60's and they all mention they went to Art School.
Art Schools (mainly commercial art, btw) was the middle ground for those who didnt qualify for university but did not want to go into trade. Art school= Lennon, Townshend. Trades. Macca, Hari Georgersong, Roger Daltry.The trades persons tended to be a little more practical and inclined to be impatient with foolishness like #9, Lifehouse, and Satanic Majesties.

How many times have you said to your self man I just wanna hear a bunch of guys on LSD put a bunch of random snippets of absolute nonsense and nothing together on a really f-in great album. I think Ringo and Paul were not involved but unfortunately Yoko was. It's not really a song or any good or what I want to hear from probably my favorite group of all time. Its a turd in a punch bowl. Is that a good enough explanation. Or I can elaborate more.

As I see it The White takes the freedom to experiment in all genres - it's the clue of the album. Think about it :

Beach Boys-poprock

storytelling

vaudeville

hard rock

romantic ballads

so called baroque-pop

western saloon-good time

soft ballads

hyper cool swingning London

psychedelia

folk

Hollywood-hymn

satire

and more.

Why not use the opportunity to add avantgarde to the chain.

Especially in the experimental year 1968, which literally was the gate from one era to another

and therefor, like the poster inside the brilliant cover art, appeared to be some kind of collage in historic time.

Call it an iconoclasm, a rebellious punch even a sonic revolution, but don't count it out.

Admit it may seem like the counting on the piece stands still, but precisely therefor you sense the rest move, , , , ahead. .

Not my favorite track on the white pair, but I wouldn't be without it. The album wouldn't have been the daring same either.

Don't lock in a cramp - fix yourself a drink, step into this one and free your mind instead

1969/2010 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WjfQSxcq0c

The best weekend to U

Yes, the print is a VERY small...not a book for playing from front to back! More of a ‘get that track part/chords after shining the arc lamp from the garage on the pages for a few minutes’. After I get an idea for a fingerpicking part or arrangement for a song, I use Chordie.com or the like for the general chord/lyric. My other complaint about the book is how they are happy to put the a few lines of a verse, for example, on one page and a couple more lines on the next page! - ‘Something’ being an offender, but made up for by them supplying a good version of the lead solo by EC! I am also happy to play through some things I would never bother to work on by ear, just because they are there in the book - the flute solo in ‘Hide Your Love Away’ comes to mind....

I also looked everywhere for a Stones bible without luck and ended up with quite a number of tab books, often with some of the tunes repeated, but I do go for the ‘exact as recorded’ books. (In the early pre-TAB popular days, I had a couple of Stones books in ...gulp.....music notation, and wrong as well! Written out by a piano player or perhaps a trombonist - I had Sticky Fingers in this format! Still scratching my head at how complicated they made things).

BluesKing777.

I was surprised when they released the anniversary packages of Sticky Fingers and it did not include a book like some previous offerings included. I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on one of those old standard notation versions I've seen on ebay.

I was surprised when they released the anniversary packages of Sticky Fingers and it did not include a book like some previous offerings included. I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on one of those old standard notation versions I've seen on ebay.

Yep - useless for anything except the lyrics! (ie. if Keef capoed up from G to Bb, they wrote the music in Bb, a fairly tortured way to display a bit of Open G tuning that took me many, many years to recover from!).

There are links to most on the internet in various forms, but as I work on the box all week I really would prefer a nice TAB book on my music stand, so after getting the Beatles Complete Scores, I wanted the Stones Complete...err...anything and bought these, which often repeat themselves but i like the 50 for 50 best):

https://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Rolling-Stones-Hardcover-Guitar/dp/B00F6Y9CKO

https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stones-Singles-Collection-London/dp/0898987393/ref=pd_cp_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0898987393&pd_rd_r=06R5PB024ACK0NZ0MVEY&pd_rd_w=EFdGR&pd_rd_wg=Om3mq&psc=1&refRID=06R5PB024ACK0NZ0MVEY

https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stones-Anthology-Recorded-Versions/dp/0634062867/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0634062867&pd_rd_r=D96NZNRQ8PN8ECVZRPQY&pd_rd_w=ZYAeC&pd_rd_wg=YjDy2&psc=1&refRID=D96NZNRQ8PN8ECVZRPQY

PLUS, the Some Girls TAB book, which I didn’t find a link...

BluesKing777.

Yep - useless for anything except the lyrics! (ie. if Keef capoed up from G to Bb, they wrote the music in Bb, a fairly tortured way to display a bit of Open G tuning that took me many, many years to recover from!).

There are links to most on the internet in various forms, but as I work on the box all week I really would prefer a nice TAB book on my music stand, so after getting the Beatles Complete Scores, I wanted the Stones Complete...err...anything and bought these, which often repeat themselves but i like the 50 for 50 best):

https://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Rolling-Stones-Hardcover-Guitar/dp/B00F6Y9CKO

https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stones-Singles-Collection-London/dp/0898987393/ref=pd_cp_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0898987393&pd_rd_r=06R5PB024ACK0NZ0MVEY&pd_rd_w=EFdGR&pd_rd_wg=Om3mq&psc=1&refRID=06R5PB024ACK0NZ0MVEY

https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stones-Anthology-Recorded-Versions/dp/0634062867/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0634062867&pd_rd_r=D96NZNRQ8PN8ECVZRPQY&pd_rd_w=ZYAeC&pd_rd_wg=YjDy2&psc=1&refRID=D96NZNRQ8PN8ECVZRPQY

PLUS, the Some Girls TAB book, which I didn’t find a link...

BluesKing777.

I've got the last two books quite a few of the individual albums song books. I think some of them ore the ones from the Alfred "Classic Albums" marketing scheme.

The middle one you posted didn't seem to have the detail I was looking for at the time from song to song, but it did serve well as far as basic chord sheets to go off from. the one sample page I saw from the first one reminded me of it. The third one with the tan cover is really nice.

Such a great time for folks like us looking for songbooks or any old song that pops into our head. On search engine visit and chord sheets galore. Gotta love it. Perfect? No, but will get one going. [thumbup]

I've got the last two books quite a few of the individual albums song books. I think some of them ore the ones from the Alfred "Classic Albums" marketing scheme.

The middle one you posted didn't seem to have the detail I was looking for at the time from song to song, but it did serve well as far as basic chord sheets to go off from. the one sample page I saw from the first one reminded me of it. The third one with the tan cover is really nice.

Such a great time for folks like us looking for songbooks or any old song that pops into our head. On search engine visit and chord sheets galore. Gotta love it. Perfect? No, but will get one going. [thumbup]

It IS a great time for songbook types - there must be more people that do this than we know, as ie, the closest guitar shop has a well kept stock A-B taking up lots of floor space. Like I said before, I look at the computer all week so prefer music books...slightly different on the eyes. I have looked a LOT at online sources though...unbelievable stuff! (last week, I saw an online TAB/ music arrangement of Let It Be in DADGAD thanks to someone copying Lawrence Juber..... But these days if you have basic music knowledge, TAB knowledge and mix that with your ears, things can get really enjoyable! Learning a song by rote and ears is good but a songbook can be helpful in many ways....the strange lyric, the weird chord/riff/tuning and best of all for me.....gentle sight reading and playing through a list of great tunes without committing all except the faves to memory. Yes, I am also proud to say that there are tunes in the Beatles Complete Scores and the Stones 50 for 50 that I have never heard in my life. How do I know the track before down to my very bones and not the nex song? Radio! Radio in the 60/70/80s!

BluesKing777.

It IS a great time for songbook types - there must be more people that do this than we know, as ie, the closest guitar shop has a well kept stock A-B taking up lots of floor space. Like I said before, I look at the computer all week so prefer music books...slightly different on the eyes. I have looked a LOT at online sources though...unbelievable stuff! (last week, I saw an online TAB/ music arrangement of Let It Be in DADGAD thanks to someone copying Lawrence Juber..... But these days if you have basic music knowledge, TAB knowledge and mix that with your ears, things can get really enjoyable! Learning a song by rote and ears is good but a songbook can be helpful in many ways....the strange lyric, the weird chord/riff/tuning and best of all for me.....gentle sight reading and playing through a list of great tunes without committing all except the faves to memory. Yes, I am also proud to say that there are tunes in the Beatles Complete Scores and the Stones 50 for 50 that I have never heard in my life. How do I know the track before down to my very bones and not the nex song? Radio! Radio in the 60/70/80s!

BluesKing777.

I had not heard a ton of Beatles songs. There were 3 on the 'Stones 50 that I do not recall hearing. "Child of the Moon", "Memo From Turner" and "Jigsaw Puzzle". A couple of the ones off of Beggar's Banquet had been a while since hearing and had to re-familiarize myself with. "Parachute Woman" and "Dear Doctor". Sounds like a lot of Hummingbird on Beggar's Banquet. Just sayin'. [thumbup] (And just like that, Beggar's Banquet is now playing throughout the house.)

I used to skip popular songs in some 'stones albums due to radio overplay, but it's been a while since they've been on the radio so often and just as long since I've listened to the radio so much. I still have no problems if they lifted "Tumbling Dice" from 'Exile, but I don't skip over it any more.

Why don't you just skip the track. Every group I love has done songs I don't particularly care for. I skip the track, or turn the sound down. Not that hard to do if it bugs you that much. I don't care for it either, but I also don't like the "music" of John Cage.

I had not heard a ton of Beatles songs. There were 3 on the 'Stones 50 that I do not recall hearing. "Child of the Moon", "Memo From Turner" and "Jigsaw Puzzle". A couple of the ones off of Beggar's Banquet had been a while since hearing and had to re-familiarize myself with. "Parachute Woman" and "Dear Doctor". Sounds like a lot of Hummingbird on Beggar's Banquet. Just sayin'. [thumbup] (And just like that, Beggar's Banquet is now playing throughout the house.)

I used to skip popular songs in some 'stones albums due to radio overplay, but it's been a while since they've been on the radio so often and just as long since I've listened to the radio so much. I still have no problems if they lifted "Tumbling Dice" from 'Exile, but I don't skip over it any more.

Ha!

I have never heard of the first three either! (After I bought the book, I may have listened to them on Youtube but they have...err...left again!)

I do mostly like the 50 in 50 TAB book - I have picked up a few ideas from it. Some Girls - ie, on the e-Chord version, it is listed as the verses using A to D, whereas in the 50 it has Keef's part in Open G and his famous and popular "Start Me Up" move of open strings to putting down just 2 fingers to make a D/G that is used in lots of his stuff. If I am in standard tuning, I play a 'long A' and add the fingers in a similar way.....

(Since this thread started, the Better Half has mentioned hearing lots of Beatles and Stones tunes coming out of my music room....and there you are, I thought she didn't listen anymore!). :mellow: And I have my Robbie Robot doing Keef harmony....'humanise' control button turned up until it gets a bit drunk...

BluesKing777.

Archived