Gibson Brands Forums

TKL case

ponty

My 20 year old Geib TKL case hardware and exterior are in great shape. The green interior however, was not.

The fabric had faded from green to brown, which TKL and CFM said was a humidity problem. The 'green to brown' issue

is widley discussed online, and claims are made that this is the reason TKL switched fabrics. I conntacted TKL for help.

Not wanting to buy a new case at $300, I asked them if they sold the interior materials so that I could reline the case.

They said..NO...but we would be happy to reline it for you....for $300 plus shipping (to and from Bermuda).

I declined! I then asked if they could tell me about the foam glues and fabric they use. No reply. Thanks TKL.

So, I therefore decided to go ahead and purchase fabric, glue, and foam and go for it.Here is the result..

8603-1287101662018.jpg

My 20 year old Geib TKL case hardware and exterior are in great shape. The green interior however, was not.

The fabric had faded from green to brown, which TKL and CFM said was a humidity problem. The 'green to brown' issue

is widley discussed online, and claims are made that this is the reason TKL switched fabrics. I conntacted TKL for help.

Not wanting to buy a new case at $300, I asked them if they sold the interior materials so that I could reline the case.

They said..NO...but we would be happy to reline it for you....for $300 plus shipping (to and from Bermuda).

I declined! I then asked if they could tell me about the foam glues and fabric they use. No reply. Thanks TKL.

So, I therefore decided to go ahead and purchase fabric, glue, and foam and go for it.Here is the result..

8603-1287101662018.jpg

Amazing. Yes, it's no secret that TKL is not used to dealing directly with the consumer. If you want them to build a custom case, you must do an enormous amount of precise measurements that get pointy measuring objects all around and over the top of your guitar. That, for a guitar case they've already made for years (the AJ, J-45, SJ-200, for example). They want you to go through a dealer, like Guitar Gallery in Tennessee.

So- is that can of aerosol can in the photo a spray glue? Any interesting notes on the construction of the case when doing the removal of the old material? Such a defined line in the photo, and not in the neck area, it almost seems that the lining reacted . . . with the nitro? . . . and if replacement material is synthetic going in, any concerns about reaction with the finish of the guitar?

You made new fabric stays (hinges) as well (?) I have a couple of cases where they are torn out and allow the lid to completely fold open- it would be nice to repair those.

Great job.

Archived