Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 burst

TomG76

Hi everyone.

I’m seriously tempted to buy a 2018 J-45. The tone is out of this world.

My dilemma is that I have a health problem that limits my mobility at the moment, so my research has been online - and my purchase may be too.

Could I get some advice please? I actually prefer the look of an old J-50 but think the 2018 J-45 has a perfect tone. I’d be reassured if you guys could confirm what I’ve read, i.e. that photos rarely do justice to a sunburst finish. The J45s look pale and washed out in photos. And it’s not entirely easy to tell from video. And do they change like natural tops do over the years?

If you think it’s madness to buy without trying, please feel free to say. Maybe I should just wait until I can get about and try them out.

But I would like to get my dream guitar soon, I’m hoping new models are more consistent (maybe I’m wrong) and yes, I have to hold my hand up and say that I do care what a guitar looks like, even though sound is paramount.

Thank you,

Tom

I think all of the new J-45 sunbursts look great! And, grouse I’ve played or heard sound great. I have no reservations about buying new from a reputable dealer. Plus, I hear Sweetwater actually assigns a guitar rep to test the guitar out for you and serve as your contact with questions, issues. FYI, I’ve also had great experience with Musicians Friend and, in person, Sam Ash.

Just my 2 cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I think all of the new J-45 sunbursts look great! And, grouse I’ve played or heard sound great. I have no reservations about buying new from a reputable dealer. Plus, I hear Sweetwater actually assigns a guitar rep to test the guitar out for you and serve as your contact with questions, issues. FYI, I’ve also had great experience with Musicians Friend and, in person, Sam Ash.

Just my 2 cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

That’s extremely helpful and reassuring, Jeff. Thank you.

I would not hesitate to buy a J45 sight-unseen. That was not always the case, but the new ones seem to be pretty consistent. My new one is just spectacular.Just to be safe, check with the online dealer regarding a return if you’re not satisfied. Sweetwater, for example, is very easy to work with and accepts returns no questions asked.

Good luck an let us know how you make out.

Rb

I think all of the new J-45 sunbursts look great! And, grouse I’ve played or heard sound great. I have no reservations about buying new from a reputable dealer. Plus, I hear Sweetwater actually assigns a guitar rep to test the guitar out for you and serve as your contact with questions, issues.

Just my 2 cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Bwahaha - the "personal sales engineer." They work on commission. Yeah, I am going to trust their opinion.

Plus you can find some great deals on some of the newer J-45.

I have too many of this style or I would buy this one at my local GC.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/J45-Standard-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-113917835.gc

I've played it a few times and it sounds great. Like a lot of newer guitars that get traded in, it needs a truss rod adjustment and the nut slots corrected and it would be perfect.

A new player would give up on playing it and trade it in rather than get a pro setup.

They list it as good. It's a 2017 and I would list it excellent.

Yeah, like others I think you'll be very satisfied with the burst once you actually see it.............My J45, J100, Southern Jumbo, AJ, and Dove---never seen or played until they arrived. If you have reputable dealer you'll be fine. If you can get your J45 now, do it. Just having it at home will help you get better faster. [thumbup] [thumbup] Hope you're playing your new guitar soon.

I traded a martin D28 HD and a Glenn Frey takamine for a J45 standard at Gutar Factory in Parramatta, Sydney on Friday and I love it...I used it in my Eagles show last night and with minimal EQ and soundcheck just blew everyone away...I couldnt be happier

A few years ago, me and my two then-bandmates ordered three J45 Standards (or Modern Classics as they were then-same guitar, different name) direct from Gibson via the artist endorsement program that I was part of at the time.

All three were subtly different, but equally superb. One was bright, airy and zesty with a warm bottom end, one was neutral and beautifully balanced, and one was darker and more plummy sounding, with overtones galore in the midrange.

Mine was the middle one. I wrote a ton of songs with that guitar, and my then-producer was so obsessed with it that he badgered me for years to sell it to him as it recorded so well with a stereo pair in front of it-no EQ required, just turn it up and add a touch of optical comp. I ended up giving in and selling it to him several years later, and it’s been on hundreds of records since, as every picker who passes through the studio picks it up and loves it.

I’d have no reservations about ordering a J45 sight unseen at all.

Yeah, like others I think you'll be very satisfied with the burst once you actually see it.............My J45, J100, Southern Jumbo, AJ, and Dove---never seen or played until they arrived. If you have reputable dealer you'll be fine. If you can get your J45 now, do it. Just having it at home will help you get better faster. [thumbup] [thumbup] Hope you're playing your new guitar soon.

One of the few benefits of being stuck in the flat is a very big benefit - I’ve been playing far more. The time has come to get a Gibson. Emboldened by you guys, I will do as soon as I can.

Archived