Gibson Brands Forums

"You Can't Do That" in Open G.

BluesKing777

Well, I did do that! [smile] With my 37 Gibson L-0 in Open G....

Billroy and I were talking about Open G tuning and I mentioned converting tunes you know to Open G.

So with the other thread talkin' about Beatles and Stones, I found a Beatles song in G and worked out a version in Open G, recorded it but the singing was too low so I just redid it then in Open G with a capo on 3 (Bb).

I use to do this sort of thing a lot because if you play somewhere and use Open G, you can run out of ideas quickly and regret not bringing a 2nd guitar instead of the dreaded ..retuning live thing..., so it is best to have a whole lot of songs ready and loaded!

So here is the basic chord/lyric in Chordie:

https://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitartabs.cc/tabs/b/beatles/you_cant_do_that_crd_ver_2.html

And here is the famous riff:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/the_beatles/you_cant_do_that_tabs_91738

So what did I do to get to Open G?

The 2,3,4 strings in Open G are the same as they are in standard tuning, so I started by trying the riff in the same place in Open G. Under the vocal in my track, I played a G7 by putting my 3rd finger on the the 3rd fret, 1st string and playing the rest of the strings open. For C7, I played the same as the Cowboy C7, except I left out the 5th string which is tuned down. For D7, I play the Cowboy D7 but with the 1st string ringing open (it is tuned down to D) and I include the 4th string D..... For the middle minor bits, I played them as in standard tuning, except I avoided playing the 5th and 6th sting (and 1st)

Added some slide..... [smile]

BluesKing777.

Thanks Billroy and Murph!

Yes, by doing the track above in open G, I blurred the line between playing the song in standard or open. It is easy to get in the trap of ‘open G just for this’ and set it in concrete like Red Rooster ie.

Another fun way of looking at Open G is to plunk away your team song on the 1st string...by ear......firstly with just left fingers and then donit with slide.

BluesKing777.

It pretty much sounds like this...if Cindy Cashdollar was playing it.

Sadly, I'm still trying to figure out how to put clips from my little Zoom dig recorder onto my computer.

Open drop D tuning is great for using most any song for a jam track.

It pretty much sounds like this...if Cindy Cashdollar was playing it.

Sadly, I'm still trying to figure out how to put clips from my little Zoom dig recorder onto my computer.

Open drop D tuning is great for using most any song for a jam track.

Listening to this would make me want to spend time figuring out how to play it - good luck, w/ figuring how to play... and figure how to post!

Love that little guitar. I forget the history. Is that a stripped burst made natural?

I am not sure any more, JZ, but I think it may have been black. The owner got religion and stripped it, then decorated the neck, headstock and side of the headstock with crooked home made pearl inlay, then added a fretboard of ebony that may have washed up on the beach. So my luthier did a neck set, new ebony fretboard, frets, new ebony bridge, bone saddle, bone nut, ebony faceplate on the headstock and some slices of mahogany on the sides of the headstock to cover the holes left after removal of the inlays, and a new set of Klusons!

before....

ShtsEnmh.jpg

ybvEixlh.jpg

after:

58Jhn6Rh.jpg

the back is pretty good!

kHurunYh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived