Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic pickup And Mic in front

blindboygrunt

I’ve seen a few performances where the player is using the pickup in the guitar obviously blended in with a microphone placed in front of the guitar.

What is needed for such a practice ?

Ie. Plug the pickup 1/4’’ jack lead in and also the mic in and mic the two before sending it to the amp (in my case a fishman soloamp)

Cheers folks

?? Bit confused trying to visualize your setup here, Grunt......

If you're intent is to use the open mic for voice and guitar, plug the guitar pickup into one of the Solo channels and the mic in the other. Balance might be tricky but should be okay. If you're using two mics, one for voice and the other as the second source for the guitar, I'd figure you'd have to plug the guitar pickup and guitar mic into some sort of small blender/mixer and feed this output to one of the Solo channels, the vocal mic in the other. This is probably the best solution as it would allow a good mix of the guitar pickup and mic sound to be balanced well with the vocal mic.

Then again, I may still be confused by your question..............

I’ve fixed the question so it makes sense now

But yes buc , you figured it out anyway

Little place I play lately has a little stage and I don’t need to worry about space so much so was considering having guitar both picked up and micd

Seems like that’s how all the pros do it

Just a simple little mixer with phantom power for the guitar mic then ? Plug in mic , plug in pickup with two leads .... And then run that to the xlr input on the amp ?

Cheers murph

But that’s just mic only

I’ll have a listen and see if I can get away with mic only at the next gig , but I’d like to try a blend of the two .... I am correct in assuming that’s common practice aren’t I ?

I have a little memory of bayoubengal mentioning something like that for his live stuff ....

Cheers murph

But that’s just mic only

I’ll have a listen and see if I can get away with mic only at the next gig , but I’d like to try a blend of the two .... I am correct in assuming that’s common practice aren’t I ?

I have a little memory of bayoubengal mentioning something like that for his live stuff ....

I haven't seen any one doing that 'round here. Just the pickup into what ever, and a vocal mic.

When I use my full sound system, I both mic my guitar and plug my guitar into the should system. It gives my guitar a fuller sound and enables me to play off the mic’s feedback to add some sound dynamics and sustain in certain spots. Ideally, I’d prefer to do this when I use only my portable Street Cube when I don’t use my full sound system, as it only has a mic input (which I use for my voice) and an instrument input.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

When I use my full sound system, I both mic my guitar and plug my guitar into the should system. It gives my guitar a fuller sound and enables me to play off the mic’s feedback to add some sound dynamics and sustain in certain spots. Ideally, I’d prefer to do this when I use only my portable Street Cube when I don’t use my full sound system, as it only has a mic input (which I use for my voice) and an instrument input.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

So you just run two channels for guitar , one mic one pickup and then mix them together ?

I set my guitar pickup’s volume and EQ where it sounds like it normally sounds and then set the guitar mic to roughly be the same as my vocal mic. Then, In practicality, I control how much volume is on the guitar mic by how close or far away I move my guitar from the the guitar mic. Keeping in mind that the guitar mic on its boom stand is not right on top of the guitar, but a bit back from where the vocal mic is so I have to move my guitar in closer to the guitar Mic when I want to increase volume or sustain or fullness of sound and visa versa by moving my guitar away from the guitar mic. Creates some good extra dynamic when playing live and enables me to hands free control the guitar volume and dynamic in different places in a song.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I was thinking about this on a few perspectives,

•  
  • 1) that it would be a good way to create a chorus type effect
  • 2) that it would give you the opportunity to best highlight the sound of your guitar (via mic, with my understanding that gives the most representative sound of your guitar...IMHO)
  • 3) that the people who would really appreciate the benefit of the effort would be an educated audience in the ways of guitar and sounds.

I still believe the first two are valid, but after hearing QMs input, it sounds like the benefit could be much more and a great way to add a dynamic any audience would appreciate.

It does sound like more effort - but kind of cool.

Another thing to try is to put the vocal mic (Shure SM58 I assume?) back a bit and down a bit, and perhaps a bit to the right?, so it gets your voice and the guitar in a nice balance....then add a splash of pickup'd guitar. This is way easier than 2 mics.

BluesKing777.

Another thing to try is to put the vocal mic (Shure SM58 I assume?) back a bit and down a bit, and perhaps a bit to the right?, so it gets your voice and the guitar in a nice balance....then add a splash of pickup'd guitar. This is way easier than 2 mics.

BluesKing777.

Hmm. Ok BK

Sounds like a good idea

I also toyed with bringing the NT1 rode and going bluegrass style ....although I do tend to use a bit of proximity for vocals so it’s making me think it may be awkward

I went to the venue on Saturday for a few beers and a listen to some other dude that was playing . I used to think that a lot people didn’t care about how it sounded as much as us nerds in here would , but after listening on Saturday to a poor setup I’m not so sure.

His vocal was ever so slightly too loud and his taylor guitar sounded thin and trebly . He was perfectly talented guy but his sound did him no favours at all .

He also had a helicon effects pedal with a little female backing for some songs and it made him sound even more cheesy .

I need all the help I can get

I don't gig, but I like using a pair of Shure Beta 57a microphones to record - one pointed at the bridge and the other pointed at the 12th fret. The Beta 57a is very directional (supercardiod) so it can really "focus" on the part of the guitar you point it to. That directionality will also help it avoid feedback. http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/beta/beta-57a-instrument-microphone

Yea, but I would mic exclusively if it didn't constrict your movement so much, but now that I'm also adding some resonator I'd like to just sit down all the time and use one mic for all three instruments.

Plain and simple.

I'm not doing much live stuff right now anyhow, I'm juggling...………….

Archived