Gibson Brands Forums

Found my dream guitar

Gibson Artist

Well, this and a humminbird with slim neck lol. A maple j-100, all the ones ive seen are walnut or 3000 dollars, this one is 1200, but i thought the guy might me halfway. i offered him a trade, he accepted but only if i can get to him. Turns out, he is 256 miles away and the little lady wont let me take the car that far. Dam, i am bummed, i wanted this git so bad, its everything i want, slim neck, maple body j-200 style and great price but i cant get to him :( https://vermont.craigslist.org/msg/d/1989-gibson-j100/6588193236.html

Sorry, GA, I'd go for you, but you're a good deal closer than I. Maybe Ramblier could check it out- his neck of the woods.

An early Bozeman era guitar- unusual to see bursted back and neck on a '100, let alone the teardrop guard. Even went through without getting the banner, but got the tulips.

Aside from the disclosed fret wear, looks to be in beautiful condition.

Specs on the J-100 have bounced around a lot, but be on the lookout for one from 1999 to 2003, which will be maple. Many of these are flat out great guitars. I purchased mine new in 2000 because the tone was stellar, and the neck profile was comfortably narrow. I happened to have it out for a spin this evening, and it remains uniquely impressive.

They do come up from time to time & usually at a reasonable price, so continue the hunt!

This one in mint/like new condition goes for $1,500 with best offer plus $50 shipping.I am pretty sure seller will take $1,400 for it.

https://reverb.com/item/10688459-gibson-j-100-xtra-2005-aged-natural-gloss

Smart_Select_Image_2018-06-21-01-14-50.png

Nice, but i really wanted a maple jumbo like the 1800 dollar one on reverb. Id have to sell a guitar or two tho ughh, id have to thin my heard some :(

What about this j-150?

The only difference between the '99 J-150 and the '03 J-100xtra on Reverb is the pickguard & ribbon bridge. Hardly worth the uptick in price, especially considering the J-150's condition vs the J-100.

That said, J-150s can be nice guitars. I bought an '01 J-150 new, and it was a fine instrument except for a slight twist in the neck that impacted it's action. Because I already had a very satisfying J-100xtra, the J-150 was eventually traded off - but I did enjoy it's well balanced tone. If you happen upon a clean J-150 at a good price, it'll be worth a serious look.

Yes, Bob_ - if a clean one can be found. . . these turn up only so often. EuroAussie has a nice one, and it's doubtful he paid as much as this seller's asking, even in Euros. Reverb's price guide has these going in the mid-upper teens, and the seller has already done a price drop, and turned down offers. It's within stretching distance to go for a J-200 (within 15-20 %), which would give the things that Bobouz mentioned. And easier to find a maple one, most likely in more pampered condition. It would also add the bound headstock & heel cap. Having a look at the wear on the headstock, disclosed fret wear, under the strings at bridge, and already relieved neck adjustment (but the nut is cut deep), says this guitar has a history, one way or the other.

Archived