Gibson Brands Forums

Really an Upgrade...?

newfiesig

Pretty basic topic for discussion here...

There are many brands who make replacement parts for tuners, bridges, tail pieces, etc. (Schaller, Grover, Gotoh...). I've always been of the thought that they were useful upgrades to the Chinese/Korean parts found on many Epis. Do you guys feel that these are necessarily "upgrades" to add to U.S. Gibsons? Or would you spend your money elsewhere?

Cheers!

Pretty basic topic for discussion here...

There are many brands who make replacement parts for tuners, bridges, tail pieces, etc. (Schaller, Grover, Gotoh...). I've always been of the thought that they were useful upgrades to the Chinese/Korean parts found on many Epis. Do you guys feel that these are necessarily "upgrades" to add to U.S. Gibsons? Or would you spend your money elsewhere?

Cheers!

I don't think they are but a few people like different features or something from other companies or are looking to replace something they feel is defective or if there's an improvement. The very few times I've replaced or added things ("poker chip", worn bridge, broken knobs, etc) I've used Gibson parts. I'm ok with people changing out things but hope they keep the original parts.

I don't think they are but a few people like different features or something from other companies or are looking to replace something they feel is defective or if there's an improvement. The very few times I've replaced or added things ("poker chip", worn bridge, broken knobs, etc) I've used Gibson parts. I'm ok with people changing out things but hope they keep the original parts.

I'll buy that. I have a 2015 Trad enroute with the G-Force tuners. I'm looking at swapping them out and have (pretty much) decided on Schallers... not 100% on WHICH Schallers, but Schallers nonetheless. That got me to thinking about swapping out the bridge and tail piece for Shallers as well.

Then I gave my head a shake and realized that the bridge/TP I currently have is already good. I swapped the same out of an Epi a while back, but those parts were Chinese. Stock Gibson parts should be decidedly better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all ragging on the idea of customizing or "bettering" (it's a word, I just created it) a guitar with awesome new parts. I just see it as more of a lateral move than the upgrade you would see trading up from Chinese parts.

the only upgrade i would consider for my LP would be locking tuners, for functional reasons.

Ironically, I'm adding locking tuners to my Les Paul. But even then, it's because I am getting rid of the G-Force system. If it came with Gibson Deluxe I would probably just leave it be.

My LP Standard came out if the factory with Grover locking tuners.

Same here. The only modification I made to my 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard was to replace the Tektoid nut with a custom bone nut, something I am very glad that I did.

Nope, as is, out of the box,, no mods needed unless you're persnickety about something.

All they need are strap lock pins IMHO.

You really don't even need to swap out anything on most of the new Epis..

Nope, as is, out of the box,, no mods needed unless you're persnickety about something.

Grolsch Beer Grommets. And now you have a beer in your hands. That is a win all around.

nah, don't like that beer, and prefer a real strap lock.

c'est la vi

I got ya. But for me they are universal to all my guitar strap buttons with no mods required and only takes a second to change from guitar to guitar. When they are on your axe is not going anywhere. Grolsch is not my favorite beer, but it is better than a Bud. I've also got a few green ones form a brand of vodka that uses the same pop top. It think its 360 Vodka. Fender also makes them, but what is the fun of not buying beer or vodka to get it?

The only thing I did is add the strap locks, change out the TRC with a blank one and add metal pointer under the knobs. Oh, since the pups have the quick disconnects, I put in 57 Classics. If they were soldered in, I would have left the Burstbuckers in.

The only thing I did is add the strap locks, change out the TRC with a blank one and add metal pointer under the knobs. Oh, since the pups have the quick disconnects, I put in 57 Classics. If they were soldered in, I would have left the Burstbuckers in.

Classic 57s -- the BOMB!!

I may be dropping a set in one of my LPs soon.

I don't blame you for wanting to change them. I would use these myself.... Gibson Tuners Link

I was thinking of these as they are said to better quality:

https://schaller.info/en/machine-heads/234/g-series-deluxe-keystone?number=10140123.16.55&c=53

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't replace the Gibsons with Schallers if I already had the Gibsons... but all I have not is a robot that I fear will become sentient and take over my house.

Poorly made ABRs have long been a reason doing an upgrade, but I think the newer ones are properly made and solid, so that may not be necessary. Kluson tuners have long been just plain terrible, but I believe that they are now pretty decent and so not longer require swapping for functional reasons. The one change I always make is from chrome to nickel (if the guitar is in chrome) because chrome is glinty and ugly, and nickel is lustrous and ages nicely. So my view is that Gibson now installs pretty decent hardware, so there is no need to swap it out. I think most people change parts because they can, and they often do it seeking results that may or may not actually accrue. Practicing is a more promising mod (that is, modding your playing by actually improving) than swapping out Gibson hardware.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived