Gibson Brands Forums

iPad for lyrics

blindboygrunt

Grunt I started using OnSong a few weeks ago. It works great. I will never go back. I get my set lists loaded, and the lyrics for each song, which you can upload into OnSong straight from Safari browser...

Its easy to edit, manipulate... and I have a clip for the iPad to attach to my mic stand.

Big fan

Grunt I started using OnSong a few weeks ago. It works great. I will never go back. I get my set lists loaded, and the lyrics for each song, which you can upload into OnSong straight from Safari browser...

Its easy to edit, manipulate... and I have a clip for the iPad to attach to my mic stand.

Big fan

Cool that’s one that pops up with a search

So , you just search for a song with chords and then I guess look for a ‘share’ button ?

I’ve a folder with handwritten lyrics in it

Do you need a scroll function ?

I’ve tried scrolling with ultimate guitar on my phone and I never get the speed right 😂

No scroll... i already have other pedals that complicate things...

You can change the font size on the screen by editing, or even pinching with your fingers on the screen. Most of my songs I have memorized anyways - just helps me when I have a brain fart and get stuck. That happens!

Also, let's say you search for "love the one you're with" or "for what it's worth", and AZ Lyrics comes up in the google search, you click on it. The lyrics are up on the screen. Then at the top of the browser you tap the rectangular Folder Up Share thingy, and since you will have OnSong installed on your iPad, it's one of the options. Real easy...

I hate to be a nattering nabob of negativism, but I am sooo tired of seeing performers singing with an iPad (or music stand, or iPhone...) in front of them. Learn. The. Songs. As an entertainer, you have one job, and that is it. I know others have a different opinion, but using an iPad as a crutch just looks unprofessional. It clutters up the line of sight between the audience and you. You wind up spending more time looking at the iPad than the audience.

Yes, I know some people like to be able to take any and all requests. Maybe there are special occasions when the rare use of an iPad is ok. But I have seen too many people become dependent upon them and make them a regular part of their performance.

I hate to be a nattering nabob of negativism, but I am sooo tired of seeing performers singing with an iPad (or music stand, or iPhone...) in front of them. Learn. The. Songs. As an entertainer, you have one job, and that is it. I know others have a different opinion, but using an iPad as a crutch just looks unprofessional. It clutters up the line of sight between the audience and you. You wind up spending more time looking at the iPad than the audience.

Yes, I know some people like to be able to take any and all requests. Maybe there are special occasions when the rare use of an iPad is ok. But I have seen too many people become dependent upon them and make them a regular part of their performance.

This is ridiculous statement

Sorry David

Just is

A couple years ago, my wife literally insisted that I go ahead and get an IPad Pro and put my songs on it. Being an old fogey, I'm often hesitant to change, but eventually gave-in and I'm damn glad I did. For years I carried a big and thick binder with me to gigs, festivals. I got tired of the binder falling off of a music stand, the rings opening, and the pages scattering on the floor----especially on a windy day. The IPad is ideal. You can put a countless number of songs on it. At first, I just used the Apple supplied software Pages. However, Pages doesn't allow you to put your songs in alphabetical order (at least it didn't then) and every time you do something with a song, it's moved somewhere else in the Pages folder. That can be a pain if you have a lot of songs. I downloaded an app, SongSheets. Pretty similar to what Sal was talking about. Real easy to use (write, edit) for whatever you want to do. The Scrolling option is great to have if you have a song with a lot of lyrics that won't all fit on the page. It's easy. If I can do it, anyone can. I don't like "change," but getting an IPad was a smart move for me. Glad I did it. As far as learning the songs goes---I know them, but I don't always remember them.

I need to go iPad for Function band gigs, I’ve been toting around sheaves and sheaves of printed lyrics for donkeys years.

I don’t use crib sheets for my original gigs, but for a long covers/function gig which also includes a selection of off-repertoire songs that I/we have been asked to play for the event, it’s invaluable.

I understand the point about learning the songs, but I’m not only a working musician (gigs, sessions, co-writes etc), I also have three children and four stepchildren, so the days are rather full! I’d love to spend my days poring over lyrics and learning everything by rote in a scholarly way, and often I do, but life does have a habit of getting in the way, and I’d rather use that free time to write a new song of my own than trying to memorise the words to someone else’s song that I’m unlikely to play more than once.

Different strokes for different folks-all the session/function players I know have either charts or lyrics on an iPad-it’s a very practical solution. Having said that, you don’t have to charge a ringbinder! 😂

This is ridiculous statement

Sorry David

Just is

We'll be agreeing to disagree on that.

How do you connect with an audience through eye contact when you're staring at an iPad while you sing? How do you convince an audience that you're doing something special when all they see is a guy playing guitar while glued to an iPad?

Again, yes, there are always exceptions. But it becomes a crutch.

We'll be agreeing to disagree on that.

How do you connect with an audience through eye contact when you're staring at an iPad while you sing? How do you convince an audience that you're doing something special when all they see is a guy playing guitar while glued to an iPad?

Again, yes, there are always exceptions. But it becomes a crutch.

Ya see now , on paper here that sounds like you know what you’re talking about , singer songwriter, emotionally connecting , all in the eyes ..

What about all the audience who aren’t getting stared at ?

It’s only possible to look at one set of eyes right ?

So everyone’s waiting on the bolt of lightning crash of emotion and sudden connection to the song when they’re lucky enough for you to look at them?

Guys not having fun sitting at the bar ?

What about the fella taking a leak ?

What about the two lovebirds who certainly aren’t looking at me playing but each other and listening to the music

I sing with my eyes closed a lot of times , kind of involuntary, what happens there ? I losing them ?

Heaven forbid if I need to glance at my fretboard

And where you got the image of a man staring at an iPad as if he was playing space invaders on it throughout a song is the crazy part

It’s glanced at , no more no less. No one will notice.

Apart from maybe you or whoever you’re thinking about when you said eye contact is necessary for emotional connection

You’ve painted a picture in your head that’s wrong and made a judgement

I would be ok freeform for a set, at a stretch, without the lyrics.....I could play guitar non stop for 2 days straight but have always been awful with lyrics.

With old age comes another choice then - I would need my daggy reading glasses to read a lyric sheet/iPad/chord chart but with the glasses on, that would be all I would see! [biggrin] . The audience would become a blur....

It is a pity the Google glasses didn’t come out with ‘read only’ ie chord sheet, lyrics....they would be great with a HUD! (They hot cancelled because the test model had on board camera/video and everyone was filming naughtily.... [mellow] and the people got scared. But read only would be handy......or learn the lyrics.

I stare at the box and iPad all week - that sure wouldn’t be gigging with me! [glare]

BluesKing777.

As far as software, I use SongBook. The selling point is they also have a Mac version which makes copying/pasting and correcting much easier. It also lets you sync with DropBox and stay in sync with band members.

I know you didn't ask, but I use a Bluetooth pedal by Donner (which was about $65). It really just sends different preset keyboard presses to your device. It works nicely with my iPad and Mac and its rechargeable battery has a pretty good life (so far).

Any you people use your iPad for gigs ?

If so what app is a good un?

And do I have to sit and type all my songs into it ??

Thanks

If you're on iPad, OnSong seems to be the dominant app. I'm on Android and use MobileSheets, with an AirTurn page turner pedal and a Manos clip to attach the tablet to my mic stand. Works wonderfully. Setting aside the particular platform and equipment choices, this is a much better setup than a binder with paper. You don't have to type all your songs into it, you can upload Word or PDF files. I don't know the iPad models, but make sure you get a big one.

Archived