Gibson Brands Forums

Mossman vs. Gibson

RhythmDr.

This is a Gibson forum and my primary git is a Gibson Advanced Jumbo (2002) which I absolutely love and I only play dreadnoughts. However, that said, there are many great dread guitar brands out there. For me personally, I've looked for reasons to buy a Martin but when I play them against any comparable Gibson (D-28 against an AJ for instance), the Gibson always wins! Therefore, I do not own any Martin acoustic guitars. I do own a Martin F-65 electric though and it is sweet!

But I digress. I have been shopping Mossman guitars for about 10 years now and today finally purchased my first one online. The one I bought is a 1973 Flint Hills model which is basically a D-28 or AJ equivalent with Sitka spruce top and East Indian Rosewood back/sides. As I'm sure most of you know, there's a risk in buying an acoustic guitar online because the tone is specific to each guitar and obviously you can't play it first unless the guitar is local. That said, some brands/models, Mossman being one of those brands, are hard to find locally and therefore it's not so easy to play 10 of them (or even 1) to see which one sings. So if you want one that is not a popular brand, sometimes you just have to take a chance. That was me today.... I took a chance!

So I guess I'm wondering if any of you guys/gals have played or owned a Mossman. If so, which model? How did it compare to your favorite Gibson or Martin? I bought mine confidently knowing that if the tone doesn't suit me, I can re-sell it because there is always a demand for Mossman guitars. I was personally targeting an early 70s model because I feel like those were Stuart Mossman's prime years (pre-fire and pre-distribution/storage issues). So with that... any Mossman experiences (good or bad) someone wants to share? I'm super stoked for my new guitar but I don't see it ever replacing my AJ.

I’ve only played one Mossman, a Great Plains. I’m not ashamed to say that it’s the only guitar that has brought me to tears with its sheer power and tonal beauty. It was like an arrow direct to the soul, I’ll never forget that guitar, I wish I’d been able to afford it. I was so inspired by it that I named the opening track of my last album ‘Great Plains’.

I would absolutely love to find an up together Mossman that I could afford. Huge congrats on your Flint Hills!

• Like 1

I’ve only played one Mossman, a Great Plains. I’m not ashamed to say that it’s the only guitar that has brought me to tears with its sheer power and tonal beauty. It was like an arrow direct to the soul, I’ll never forget that guitar, I wish I’d been able to afford it. I was so inspired by it that I named the opening track of my last album ‘Great Plains’.

I would absolutely love to find an up together Mossman that I could afford. Huge congrats on your Flint Hills!

Awesome to hear that! Well, I bought my AJ online from a guy who, at the time, was the guitarist for Keith Urban. I had played tons of AJs but really wanted a natural top and when I saw his listing on eBay, I pounced. My justification was this: if I didn't like the tone I could re-sell it. I assumed it was a good one, however, because it was played by a professional and it was setup professionally with a new-at-the-time, LR Baggs pickup. I took a chance and it worked out! I've taken other chances and have had to re-sell on 2 occasions.

Thanks for your input and so glad to hear your 1 experience was a fond one. How much was that one selling for? I'm assuming it had the Brazilian rosewood b/s but did those Great Plains have the red spruce tops?

Mossman - The Agony of De' Feet! I lived in Kansas for 12 years where Mossman is still a sentimental favorite, They are well represented each year at the Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival in Winfield (where they were built) one of the founders of which was Stuart Mossman. If you watch the movie "The Long Riders" Stuart is in it. He plays the train engineer. He had gone to wherever they were filming to present each of the stars with a guitar so they gave him a small role as a thank you.

I have had two Mossmans in the house over the past decade on loan so I could kick the tires - a Great Plains and a Tennessee 12 string. Objectively they were amazing instruments and a bargain considering the asking prices. I would have snagged either over any Martin out there. Thing is, they did not work for me - how I approach a guitar and what I want out of it.

Anyway, they have a wonderful sound and are quite beautiful so congrats!

Edited by zombywoof

I worked at E.M. Shorts Guitars in Wichita back then, one of the very first Mossman dealers. Those Mossmans were some of the most beautifully-made guitars I've ever seen, before or since. I never found that "to die for" Mossman or it'd be hanging on my wall instead of a Martin.

Mossman - The Agony of De' Feet! I lived in Kansas for 12 years where Mossman is still a sentimental favorite, They are well represented each year at the Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival in Winfield (where they were built) one of the founders of which was Stuart Mossman. If you watch the movie "The Long Riders" Stuart is in it. He plays the train engineer. He had gone to wherever they were filming to present each of the stars with a guitar so they gave him a small role as a thank you.

I have had two Mossmans in the house over the past decade on loan so I could kick the tires - a Great Plains and a Tennessee 12 string. Objectively they were amazing instruments and a bargain considering the asking prices. I would have snagged either over any Martin out there. Thing is, they did not work for me - how I approach a guitar and what I want out of it.

Thanks for your post. When you say they did not work for you, are you referring to the tone, playability, both or something else?

Never met a Mossman I didn't like. While on a trip to Denver I met Scott Baxendale. Scott was a protégé of Stuart Mossman's. He had a guitar at Harry Tuft's store that was the best guitar I had ever heard. It had all of Mossman's guitars wrapped up in a single instrument. I tried to buy it but he wouldn't sell it.

Fast forward many years and Stuart Mossman came to Bozeman. He stayed for a couple of weeks. I had dinner and lunch with him on several occasions and he was a true gentleman.

Henry hired him as a consultant and after several weeks he told Henry that the Bozeman plant was the best it could possibly be and needed no changes. He thought the Montana guitars were the best they had ever been and even rivaled his production. High praise indeed.

I'm happy to see that Mossman has not been relegated to the dust bin of history. They are out there and they are all great guitars.

• 2 years later...
31 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

While I get things wrong all the time what particular  "Not fact" are you referring to.

It's obvious, the ones you typed that at not...facts. All the other must be opinions. Cause I think that is all there are either facts or opinions.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

42 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's obvious, the ones you typed that at not...facts. All the other must be opinions. Cause I think that is all there are either facts or opinions.

Hell, at most it is at best anecdotal evidence which is a fancy way of saying opinions.  If we relied on scientific evidence all you would hear is crickets chirping.  

On 6/20/2018 at 5:56 AM, zombywoof said:

“They did not work for me-how I approach a guitar and what I want out of it”.  Thanks for saying this Zombiewolf. Sometimes even song to song. I own a 2018 Southern Jumbo standard. The fellows at Wildwood picked it out for me as the best sounding one of the bunch they had in at the time. It sounds as good as any spruce/ mahogany guitar that I’ve owned or played. Top cut thin, sparse on the finish, it keeps getting better.