Gibson Brands Forums

Prophecy GX or 1960 Tribute Plus?

Hi good people,

As the title implies, I'm having quite a dilemma choosing between two incredible guitars (both in the Black Cherry finish, of course), the Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus GX or the 1960 Les Paul Tribute Plus.

The price for these two is roughly the same in Canada so that's not the concern. I really just don't know which one would be the best choice for me. I was originally going to go with the GX because of the Gibson 490R and 498T pickups and the fact that it looks gorgeous. I've always wanted a Les Paul custom and to me, the Prophecy delivers above and beyond. I think it's actually more akin to the Gibson Supreme in terms of quality. Anyway, I play mostly (classic)rock, blues, and jazzy stuff. I realize the Prophecy is meant for shredding, but it sounds beautiful to me regardless of the genre. The coil splitting also makes it incredibly versatile so I don't want to be constrained by genre necessarily.

Then I came across the 1960 Tribute Plus and was again impressed by Epiphone's commitment to excellent playability,, features, and looks. I know this one comes with Gibson Classic 57s and series parallel switching. I'm also aware that the tuners, wiring and pots are simply better, the real deal. Purely looking at specs, I think the Prophecy and Tribute Plus are really at a tie though. It seems to come down to just personal preference, but that's exactly why I'm having a dilemma! I want to know if there's anything that truly gives one a significant advantage over the other, and why.

What are your experiences with these guitars? What would you recommend?

Tips and guidance would be greatly appreciated (along with pretty photos if you'd like to share those)

Thanks! msp_thumbup.gif

If it was my adventure, probably the 1960 Tribute. the Classic 57 combo in the is hard to beat. although the Prophecy is stock w/ 490R/498T, which are also pretty excellent pickups.

I guess for me it could be aesthetics to turn the tide. The black pickup covers/rings sort of don't do it for me personally. I'm more traditional in this regard. But that seems a minor detail and maybe a preference for others. Beyond that, both seem top notch. epi sure has stepped up the game. That they both include the case is a definite +

If it was my adventure, probably the 1960 Tribute. the Classic 57 combo in the is hard to beat. although the Prophecy is stock w/ 490R/498T, which are also pretty excellent pickups.

I guess for me it could be aesthetics to turn the tide. The black pickup covers/rings sort of don't do it for me personally. I'm more traditional in this regard. But that seems a minor detail and maybe a preference for others. Beyond that, both seem top notch. epi sure has stepped up the game. That they both include the case is a definite +

Thanks for your reply!

You've got a great point about the cases and the Classic 57 combo; they sound really rich without being muddy, with lots of articulation and just a nice "flavour" to them if you will.

Aesthetics truly are personal preference because I happen to like the gold/black open pickups on the Prophecy and overall it's entire aesthetic (Epi also offered a new finish on it recently, Midnight Ebony, which also looks killer).

I guess I'll just have to think about this some more. I appreciate your thoughts!

I noticed the midnight ebony, seems they fit it with I guess you'd call them blackout covers. There's some sort of blue finish too w/the same hardware set.

wasn't a look I'd go for, but it did definitely give it the "Shred Machine" look.

the prophecy do seem like nice axes.. Good luck with the hunt! let us know how the journey ends.

My band's other guitarist has two of the Prophesy LP. If it were me, I'd go for one. The Gibson pickups are great, and the neck on the Prophesy is 24 fret AND it is set about 3/4-1" farther up the body (toward headstock) which makes getting to the upper frets much easier. The neck is like a slim taper SG neck. If I were making that choice, the Prophesy is where my money would go. And they come with a case that is made for them, because they are taller than a standard LP.

Hello, I spend most of my time looking at the Acoustic Forum and mainly play acoustic guitar, but I also have a 2014 Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus that I purchased in 2014. I am no expert, but I love this thing! I'm sure you already read the specs, and these were pretty well loaded with good stuff, pots, switches, GREAT pickups and an ever so lovely finish. Mahogany body with Carved maple cap and flame top.. I had to have the Vintage Sunburst, a thing of beauty to me :)

Too bad you can't do an A/B comparison with them somewhere...

I would imagine you won't go wrong either way!

Here is mine on NGD...

Uokcud7.jpg

KT55vF2.jpg

vgUdFdV.jpg

IMr44rc.jpg

Archived