Gibson Brands Forums

Rebuilding Advise Les Paul

RIPRIDER

I’ve got an old 1977 deluxe body that has been routed for humbuckers. It has an old pair of Dimazios in it. The pots are all shot. I’m thinking about just buying a complete pickup set and pot board from stratosphere. They come as a complete setup stripped out of a Gibson. I’m trying to decide if I want to do this or just replace the pots. Obviously the original value was ruined when they rerouted the body. And what pickups would you use ? Also what do you think of the quick connect wiring and pot circuit boards ?

Well I can tell you that the quick connnects are only useful if you use a PCB from Gibson. The PCB itself isn’t a problem but it’s limited and difficult to replace pots or caps. Most people toss the PCB from the start. If you don’t use the PCB then you’ll have to solder the pickups which means your cutting the quick connects off. Unless you get no-PCB adapters (I found a pair on reverb).

As far as pickups ?? Jeez that’s much to subjective. So clearly you should get Burstbuckers or Seth Lovers!

Depending on which type of DiMarzio p'ups you have they might be a bit sought-after. Early Super Distortions and Dual Sounds are quite nice and you should be able to offload them for a decent sum to put towards your complete harness.

Pickups to choose? Are you going to go with Gibson p'ups? What type of music do you play? For classic '60s 'Bluesbreaker'-style blues through a Marshall my own choice would be 57 Classics (or 57 Classic +). If you like something substantially heavier then either Dirty Fingers or the 496R / 500T ceramics would be perfect.

Aftermarket suppliers offer many hundreds of options - far too many to go through here without knowing what, exactly, you are after.

Pip.

Archived