Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LPJ pickups

Eccentric_man

Hello all. I Purchased my first Gibson guitar about two weeks ago. I got a white 2013 LPJ, while it is a beautiful guitar and I really love it I feel like the stock pick ups are a bit thin and high. These are stock Gibson pickups and I guess somewhat desirable. They are the 490R and the 498T. And they are on the circuit board with quick connect feature.

I should say that I play mainly heavy rock, Sabbath style heavy distorted blues and stuff.

I would not be on this message board if this was any other guitar, but the quick connect feature seemed like a wonderful thing to have but after searching for replacement pick ups that have the Gibson quick connect feature I really can’t find much. Obviously I bought the guitar hoping it wouldn’t need anything, so I’m trying to solve my tone Selina as cheaply as possible. Here are my questions:

1. I played an epiphone traditional pro 2 on a few occasions and LOVE the sound I get from that thing, really gets the Sabbath sound effortless. But I want my Gibson guitar to have that sound, these guitars have quick connect technology but I am under the impression that it is not compatible with the Gibson board And connections? I could get a set of epi les soul humbucker a for about $60, but will the pickups plug right in or do I have to swap all the wiring?

2. Is it worth using the guitar fetish wiring harness and gutting out my electronics and replaceing the with the guitar fetish premium harness? They have their own quick connect technology not compatible with Gibson once again. But if I swap the wiring I can easily interchange their assortment of cheap pickups.

3. What pickups can I buy right now that come ready to plug in to my Modern Gibson board? The little white quick connect plug ready to install?

Finally, yes I understand I can buy the Gibson quick connect adapters, about $40 a set and apply them to any pickups I choose. But that kind of defeats the purpose of having a guitar with quick connect capability.

Yes I bought a Gibson LPJ to play heavy rock music like Black Sabbath, King Crimson, as well as Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, and other low end heavy stoner rock bands.

And yeah, like I said I know I could leave the plug in side plugged in and just solder the wires normal, but I admit I was really excited about the plug and play feature, and come to find there isn’t really any pickups that support it

Hmmm so you got a Gibson Les Paul LPJ that comes with Humbuckers. LPJ creates some confusion because the abbreviation would usually indicate a Les Paul Junior which would normally have P-90's. But yours has Humbuckers. Guitar Fetish may have Gibson adapters for their pickups..

gibson-lpj-rubbed-white-trans-167088.jpg

So, as I understand it, this LPJ is a Les Paul Junior with Humbuckers..

The Gibson Store is kind of vague about the connecters on their replacement Humbuckers...

Yes I bought a Gibson LPJ to play heavy rock music like Black Sabbath, King Crimson, as well as Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, and other low end heavy stoner rock bands.

And yeah, like I said I know I could leave the plug in side plugged in and just solder the wires normal, but I admit I was really excited about the plug and play feature, and come to find there isn’t really any pickups that support it

King Crimson is Prog. Saw them on the Beat and 3 Of A Perfect Pair Tours.

Now back to our regularly scheduled forum.

Hello all. I Purchased my first Gibson guitar about two weeks ago. I got a white 2013 LPJ, while it is a beautiful guitar and I really love it I feel like the stock pick ups are a bit thin and high. These are stock Gibson pickups and I guess somewhat desirable. They are the 490R and the 498T. And they are on the circuit board with quick connect feature.

I should say that I play mainly heavy rock, Sabbath style heavy distorted blues and stuff.

I would not be on this message board if this was any other guitar, but the quick connect feature seemed like a wonderful thing to have but after searching for replacement pick ups that have the Gibson quick connect feature I really can’t find much. Obviously I bought the guitar hoping it wouldn’t need anything, so I’m trying to solve my tone Selina as cheaply as possible. Here are my questions:

1. I played an epiphone traditional pro 2 on a few occasions and LOVE the sound I get from that thing, really gets the Sabbath sound effortless. But I want my Gibson guitar to have that sound, these guitars have quick connect technology but I am under the impression that it is not compatible with the Gibson board And connections? I could get a set of epi les soul humbucker a for about $60, but will the pickups plug right in or do I have to swap all the wiring?

2. Is it worth using the guitar fetish wiring harness and gutting out my electronics and replaceing the with the guitar fetish premium harness? They have their own quick connect technology not compatible with Gibson once again. But if I swap the wiring I can easily interchange their assortment of cheap pickups.

3. What pickups can I buy right now that come ready to plug in to my Modern Gibson board? The little white quick connect plug ready to install?

Finally, yes I understand I can buy the Gibson quick connect adapters, about $40 a set and apply them to any pickups I choose. But that kind of defeats the purpose of having a guitar with quick connect capability.

My question is how often are you thinking of changing pickups? Like weekly ect?

I don’t want to change out pickups often or anything, although quick connect feature at first seemed appealing. Like I said I just really love that chunky les Paul rock sound I got from the epiphone trad pro 2 and the Gibson LPJ has no where near the balls as the epi.

And no, the guitar fetish stuff has its own quick plug connectors, not compatible.

I don’t want to change out pickups often or anything, although quick connect feature at first seemed appealing. Like I said I just really love that chunky les Paul rock sound I got from the epiphone trad pro 2 and the Gibson LPJ has no where near the balls as the epi.

And no, the guitar fetish stuff has its own quick plug connectors, not compatible.

Rock some Lindy Fralins or Rio Grandes. I have Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's in my LP Trad Pro II. It kills. I've had Rios in a lot of my other guitars. I usually rip out stock pups almost immediately. My BB is stock cause the 490's in sound really good. I do want to try some David Allen Powerage Pickups.

Ok here’s my opinion. The Epiphone Traditional Pro 2 uses an Epiphone ProBucker3 bridge and Classic Pro neck. Those are chinese made Burstbucker 3 (bridge) and Classic 57 ( neck).

If you really like those pickups you can get those specifically or you can get the Gibson ones I mentioned.

As far as the quick connects, you can get Gibson versions of those pickups with quick connects. If I remember the SGJ and LPJ both have PCB controls HOWEVER they are the two conductor type. Typically the Gibson versions of the Burstbucker and Classic 57 have five conductors. So they aren’t completely compatible. You can find two conductor versions however.

Another option is to get the Epiphone pickups used in the Traditional Pro 2 and get this:

2 Epiphone to Gibson 5 Wire Quick Connect Adapters by Scrinia Engineering. Search Reverb.com. This company makes Epiphone to Gibson 5 wire adapters and I think they make two wire adapters as well.

Finally you could just pull the PCB and hand wire everything. Here’s what I did: I got chinese made 4pin molex male and female adapters. Like this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262270648678

I soldered them to the pots and to the pickups. I kept the quick connect function using aftermarket parts. It works perfectly and cost me like $8 for 10 pieces.

That’s what I did on my Les Paul and SG. I got rid of the PCB and made my own quick connects. Works like a charm.

BTW the Epiphone ProBuckers are the real deal they’re really great. Can’t tell the difference between them and the Burstbuckers I had.

BTW those 498/490 pickups should get you that sound you want. Try rolling the tone back on your pickups and bring up the low-E side of the pickups a turn or a two, maybe the whole bridge pickup needs to come up a bit. You should try to adjust the pickups heights and your amp settings first. If that’s doesnt work then happy modding! That’s the fun part of getting inexpensive guitars! I swapped out the 498/490 in my SGJ for Burstbuckers and it was an amazing tone machine.

Archived