Gibson Brands Forums

Bird on the way?

MorrisrownSal

That’s different for everyone...

For me I was lucky with my Hummingbird Vintage. And I sold it to make room for a custom Martin D18 I ordered. (Love the Martin, will always have it). I have regretted that sale.

How do I verbally describe the right Bird for me? Warmth. Throaty. Crisp yet Sweet and never harsh. Possessing a Bass a little stronger than the average Standard. The descriptions are tough. And a standard can be better than a TV... you just don’t know.

I agree it's different for everyone. Tough to explain, yes, but you did a fine job. I listened to the A/B samples from that thread last-night. Your old Vintage sounded fantastic. I was smitten with it's tone in seconds. I understand and emphasize with your lamentation about having let that one go. That TV did sound like it had the perfect mid to upper mid frequency ranges going for it, though. I found myself listening to the A/B test again last night and was unable to decide which one would be "the one". I had been so sure of it not an hour prior to that. I started thinking about that classic Hummingbird tone, which I thought was well exemplified with the TV.

Not having heard your Martin, I can only surmise that the TV would be a fine stable-mate, tonally speaking. [thumbup]

Good luck with this next step of your bird journey!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EM... I also had a Sheryl Crow Country Western that started me on the square, and a Country Western Re-issue.

Man I cant remember them all...

Ouuuhh, the adjustable tusq saddle one. .

Not all easy to keep up with the different Boards-herds. But I recall McMaster had an O-port.

And that Father_of_Pearl had a True Vintage, , , and actually lots of other stuff. . .

And that Father_of_Pearl had a True Vintage, , , and actually lots of other stuff. . .

Em7 and Sal, funny story for me too : sold my HB TV 2012 (made in september) to make room for an AJ, and later regretted it. One year later, sold the AJ, contacted the guy who I sold the HB to, and bought it back !

Now I find that 2012 HB TV has the best Gibson Acoustic tone I've ever heard : warm, woody, mellow, thumpy (and it's feather light) the perfect guitar for sad cowboy ballads ( picked with a thumb pick...delicious low E and A thump).

Indeed Em7, I also own a 2012 HB 1960's RI, heavier (bracing inside says "J45" ???), adjustable tusq saddle, that I love as well, but sounds different, punchier, I can strum it harder, while the TV is more subtle and can get muddy with a strong right hand, but the 1960's RI still delivers the HB nectar.

Sal, I've been there, it took me 3 Hummingbird TVs to find the right one, so keep going, I hope this one is THE one !

Cheers.

IMG_0242.jpg

Still fond of this image from my local guitar store when these two were still a dream. Now they’re mine (cue maniacal ’Bwahahahaha!’ laugh....)

Enjoy your ’bird. I just put mine down to write this. :-)

I'm not sure which of those two I covet more....

Em7 and Sal, funny story for me too : sold my HB TV 2012 (made in september) to make room for an AJ, and later regretted it. One year later, sold the AJ, contacted the guy who I sold the HB to, and bought it back !

Now I find that 2012 HB TV has the best Gibson Acoustic tone I've ever heard : warm, woody, mellow, thumpy (and it's feather light) the perfect guitar for sad cowboy ballads ( picked with a thumb pick...delicious low E and A thump).

Indeed Em7, I also own a 2012 HB 1960's RI, heavier (bracing inside says "J45" ???), adjustable tusq saddle, that I love as well, but sounds different, punchier, I can strum it harder, while the TV is more subtle and can get muddy with a strong right hand, but the 1960's RI still delivers the HB nectar.

Sal, I've been there, it took me 3 Hummingbird TVs to find the right one, so keep going, I hope this one is THE one !

Cheers.

Good to hear from you - and to know you still lurk from the wings.

And of course another HEP for your Bird-stories. Plus the fact that you found the unikum.

CU

well, I got a new avatar....

AND a fine rounded four-some of Martins and Gibsons again....

I will report back in a few weeks on the tone... Maybe as soon as this weekend if I get some time to take Neil's Bird through the paces.

Whooooa, , , what a sight. Your review will have a certain depth after all those turns.

Look forward to sounds'n'perspectives.

well, I got a new avatar....

AND a fine rounded four-some of Martins and Gibsons again....

I will report back in a few weeks on the tone... Maybe as soon as this weekend if I get some time to take Neil's Bird through the paces.

DiHv2TDl.jpg

Guitars are like women. You can't have too many..................BTW, I really like that gal who is second from the left. [thumbup]

Okay, Sal, I just A/B'ed with tho old, but younger, stellar Vintage*, and the one presented above sounds terrific.

In my cans the 16' is louder or maybe stronger, but the 12 is really delicate.

I too of course would like to know the strings of the 12'er. The Tube-text says the 16 Vintage had D'Addario nickel bronze.

*Won't set that old video up in case you don't want it, but don't withdraw the film from public space - it's good to have.

The new guitar in your herd seems to be a hit. In fact I find it more birdy than the Vintage. Then again it could the strings and recording.

Send more stuff, , , and tell us things. You are the only person who can feel and hear facts as they actually are. I count on your sonic memory.

Hey ^

Thanks Gumby and Em7...

Boy the hardest thing is to try to compare a guitar against a ghost in your mind. That Vintage was the best guitar I ever owned and I sold it foolishly, as you know. And now I really understand when someone says they sold a guitar, and that it haunts them even years later.

So yes, the comparison versus a memory is tough. I do know the playability is the same. And this 2012 True Vintage is outstanding. It is better (to me...) than the two standards I had, as well as the recent 18 year old Bird I obeyed catch and release with. Man that one was heavy... I bet a good 10oz heavier or more.

This Bird has EJ19s on her. That’s medium bottom and light top. I will be putting on the Nickel Bronzes this weekend if I still have a set. I also listened to the half dozen recordings I made of the Vintage, and again to the one I made tonight of the TV. They are close.

Initial thoughts on the TV.

It’s light.It’s airy.It has the honey that my last experiment did not have.I’ve played it with nine different kinds of picks... the sound can change from crisp to warmer based on the pick choice.It smells like heaven.It’s great to sing with.It’s beautifullllllllll.The action can come down a tad. I’ll wait to see how it is with regular lights first, though.No pickup or strap button in the neck. I’ll leave it this way.

I’ll reserve additional thoughts for after a string change.

Thanks for being patient with my silliness. I know a good many of you think I’m nuts. You are right; I can live with it too- no desire to change my stripes.

Cheers. I like it. Maybe more... I just don’t want to rush it.

The hunt for guitars is more of a hunt me thinks.

Back in my electric days I would drive wives insane with the hunt.

I must admit I rarely (if ever...?) lost money. Well unless you count all that driving around.

Archived