Gibson Brands Forums

Nice J-45 Demo

davenumber2

Probably one of the best J-45 sample recordings I have heard to-date. Warm, mellow, yet balanced, not missing any highs, but also well-articulate in terms of string separation. It sure helps the guitar demoed here is an excellent, roasted Gibson J-45 Banner reissue as well. Without a doubt she's well worth the price of admission—in fact, at $3,299 I think it's a steal.

Highly admirable both regarding look and sound.

It comes close to the real thing, but is mellower and for natural reasons lacks the dry wooden edge of the oldies.

Well, they were varied individually as well and JT is the Board-professor on these guitars. He should chime in for a short review.

Meanwhile I set up Scott Nygaard's relative new purchase - a fine post-banner 45, which actually is on the softer side too.

Don't forget some of the early ones were raw, , , like real farm-fence-raw. The probably D'Addario-stringed ex below isn't among them.

Enjoy the switch game

1948 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9FZznFHdCM

Yeah, real nice sounding guitar. Lots of guitars are legends, but the J45 is one of those that actually lives-up to the hype and stories. I really like the burst on yours. Looks a bit lighter than the one on my J45TV, which I thought was a bit cooler than the one on my Standard J45 (which was a typical J45: sweet-as-hell). Cool guitars. Standard or TV.....Congrats on a beauty. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Highly admirable both regarding look and sound.

It comes close to the real thing, but is mellower and for natural reasons lacks the dry wooden edge of the oldies.

Well, they were varied individually as well and JT is the Board-professor on these guitars. He should chime in for a short review.

Meanwhile I set up Scott Nygaard's relative new purchase - a fine post-banner 45, which actually is on the softer side too.

Don't forget some of the early ones were raw, , , like real farm-fence-raw. The probably D'Addario-stringed ex below isn't among them.

Enjoy the switch game

1948 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9FZznFHdCM

I've watched/listened to Scott's video before, and am convinced that his J-45 is one of the finest examples of a late-40's J-45 I have ever heard: astonishingly articulate from top to bottom. with no apparent weaknesses across the spectrum. Of course, his playing is always superb, which helps a lot.

The CME guitar is nice as well, but he's driving it pretty hard, so it isn't easy to get an idea of how it would sound either finger-picked or flat-picked in Nygaard's style.

What both of these videos show is that it's really hard to beat a good J-45, whether vintage or new.

Archived