Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Peter Frampton Texan

• 7 months later...

A little late to this thread (sorry) - I'm also curious about any members' experience with the Frampton Texan reissue. Specs on Epiphone's page say this is not a tricked-out IB64. The Frampton model is all solid back & sides & with original-spec nut-width (skinny like Paul's & Pete's), plus bone saddle, Schaller tuners & Baggs pickup. Has anyone here ordered one? Did you like it? Or return it? Impressions?

Thanks,

B.P.

I'm also curious about any members' experience with the Frampton Texan reissue. Specs on Epiphone's page say this is not a tricked-out IB64.

From the photos, it would appear to me that this model is built in Epiphone's Indonesian factory. This would, imho, make it more like a "tricked-out" IB-Texan, rather than putting it in the same quality category as a Terada-Japan built Elitist Texan. There is also an all solid-wood Masterbilt J-45 model produced in Indonesia, and the Frampton model most likely is quite similar in it's construction details.

Terada has built two versions of the Elitist Texan (early 2000s, and a more recent model for the Japanese market). In approx 2005-2008, they also built a version of the Paul McCartney 1964 Texan (for Paul's Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser). I happen to have one of the McCartney instruments from 2005, and it is a highly accurate reproduction of a mid-'60s Texan.

Does anyone here have one? Or bought & returned one?

I have one - the "premium" version that comes with the nice case and has the dual source (under saddle + mic) pickup system. And, of course, the hand-signed COA and a copy of the Acoustic Classics album. It's a nice guitar, given that it is an Epiphone and made in Indonesia. Body is very close to my 2005 Epiphone EJ160-E. As I recall the EJ160-E has a little longer neck. Not unlike the EJ 160, this is a fairly heavy guitar, but I suspect the LR Baggs pickup system with battery accounts for some of that. I was able to try out the Frampton Texan at a local guitar store rather than buying sight unseen online. The guitar store had a Fishman Loudbox Artist amp - same one I use - so I was able to plug the Texan into that to see how it sounded, and I liked the sound. I haven't played with the "Mix" control, which I think allows you to blend the undersaddle and mic sounds. Nice finish on the Texan - that lighter sunburst. So I am happy with it.

Listen, everybody's taste in guitars is different. At $1,200, it's not cheap. But I am guessing it's priced to account for the guitar itself in its quality bracket, the nicer Epiphone-branded case (which is really nice), the LR Baggs pickup system (which is supposedly the one Frampton uses in some of his acoustics). Add the that the hand-signed COA and Frampton's royalty for using his name. But if you bought a basic current IB Texan and installed this pickup system and then bought a nice case, you know, you are starting to get near the selling price. They do sell the non-premium version, but it's a different LR Baggs pickup system, and you get no case included or the hand-signed COA (if that matters). The purchase was intended as kind of just for fun purchase (I surely didn't need another acoustic). But I was enthralled with Peter's Acoustic Classics album and treatment of his signature songs, and decided to own the premium version of this guitar. I have a few other "signature" guitars of artists I have admired and personally I get a kick out of owning these. Others might think it's a waste of money. On the other hand, owning more than one guitar could be viewed as a waste of money. Whatever.

I plan to do some acoustic gigs with it in the near future and see how it does.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I just bought the less expensive version of the Frampton Texan as a backup to my original 1965 Texan that I bought new in 1965. Here are my first impressions after having it for a few weeks.

1) Overall fit and finish on the Frampton is excellent.

2) The neck nut width on the Frampton (1.61") is virtually identical to my '65(1.60") and the thickness and taper are the same. It's impossible to find any other modern acoustic guitars with necks that narrow. Not recommended for finger pickers who tend to like wide string spacing, but I use a flatpick about 80% of the time & love the narrow neck which makes it easy on an old man's thumb because I can play most of my first position chords with my palm on the back of the neck.

3) Tonally, the Frampton is MUCH brighter than the '65. Instead of "brighte" perhaps I should say "sparkly". There are just so many overtones flying around yet the overall string balance is the same between the two. Some of that could be attributed to the relative ages of the instruments and the Frampton's polyurethane finish vs. nitrocellulose lacquer on the '65, BUT...

4) I attribute much of the brightness to the MASSIVE bracing. The braces on the Frampton are easily 50% taller and somewhat wider than '65. After giving my Frampton a little time to mature, I may consider having the brace shaved.

5) The Frampton is 1 to 1.5lb heavier than my '65. Perhaps from the heavier braces or maybe there's still a lot of moisture in the new wood that has long since left the old guitar.

6) I'm very happy with the Frampton's pickup system. I don't detect any piezo quack. The amplified sound is just that, the exact tone of the guitar, just louder.

7) There are a couple unimportant differences. The Frampton has Grover-style tuning machines vs the 65's Klusons. Also the 65 came with an adjustable height saddle while the Frampton's is fixed. I consider that an improvement because the adjustment mechanism added considerable mass to the top of the 65, so I had it removed and replaced many yeas ago.

Bottom line: at a street price of $900 or $1200 for a solid wood guitar, this instrument is a bargain. I was lucky to find a "Demo" model with one tiny nick that I have to search to find which saved me $300.