Gibson Brands Forums

Weird J-35

vw1300

See link to "1939 J-35"

https://reverb.com/item/3387646-gibson-j-35-natural-1939-s433

This looks so wrong - ad states the top seems to be from a J-50 - that could be although pickguard has more of the '60s swirly look - but neck is definitely not original as the ad states, it's 20 frets. What's with the ES-7133 marking on the back of the headstock? And doesn't the open-book shape seem to be a bit off? Prewar should have a wider nut than 1 9/16" as well too. If the neck and top are not original, I'm not sure how much prewar J-35 DNA is even left here.

I'm a little surprised by this from this well-known seller. thoughts?

Possibly re-topped by Gibson in the 1960's, by reference to the rosette, pickguard, and replaced bridge. Gibson may have slimmed down the neck at the same time, as they did on my 1948-'50 J-45 when they re-topped it in 1968. Fretboard maybe replaced with a 20-fret board at the same time, as was done to mine. The remaining J-35 DNA would be the back and sides, plus the modified but original neck.

That pickguard just looks wrong on the guitar, if it really is a re-topped old J-35.

Price may be about right.

The narrow nut isn't for everybody, but some people with smaller or more flexible hands really like them.

ES is a valid prefix for a 1939 FON. From 1938 to 1941, the FON could apparently be either impressed on the back of the headstock (like this one), or stamped on a label inside. A J-35 probably would not have had a label, as it was one of the cheapest flat tops at that time.

How ‘bout “For Sale: 1939 Gibson J-35 back, attached to a Gibson re-top and it’s modified 1939 neck”. Is it arrogance, or just caving to the thinking of the day that had people modifying perfectly good guitars, making the necks smaller, and in the case of Grover Rotomatics, refitting with tuners bigger?

As the guitar has been at CME for over a year, in reality, it’s competition for a sale may be nothing more than a recently built, all-made-at-one-time J-45 Standard with warranty and without the need for a fretboard re-plane to address fretboard divots.

Below: Guitar at CME on left 1 9/16" nut, '69 J-45 with 1 11/16" on right:

sPvHmHM.png

Charlie- you really turn up some puzzlers, still remembering the tobacco burst Gib-refin'ed 1940's J-45 with one piece mahogany back that was at Rockin' Robin Guitars.

Archived