Gibson Brands Forums

1.75 nut

uncle fester

Why do you need to know, Billroy?

If you want a J45 size, I don’t know for sure but some Banner eras may have 1 3/4” nut.

But most suredly, my 1937 Gibson L-0 has it, and some reissues like the L-00 Legends and current L-00 Vintage.... 14 and 12 fret.

BluesKing777.

Hey BK / MP, thanks for the input. I'm more wondering what years / models the 1.75 nut was present - and then seeing where it goes. It's finger picking in open tuning that has brought me in this direction. I've got a Guild with the 1.75 nut, and really like the feel - and can only wonder how perfect the guitar would be with the Gibson sound.

Thank you all again - and happy Sunday to everyone!

As far as I know, the standard width is 1.725”, although the LG2AE and J15 have 1 11/16”, or at least the ones I owned did.

All of my Bozeman 6 strings (Bird, AJ, SJ200, J180) all have 1.725”. I’ve not come across any 1.75” models, but being Gibson I’m sure they’re out there...

Thank you all - so there are options out there, but I've got to hunt for them. Nothing wrong with a little hunt... would like to try out one of those 1.77 necks to see how it feels. Rgds - billroy

Billroy - If you find any with a 1.75 nut please let me know. I have the same problem. Both (non-Gibson) guitars I own have a 1.75 nut and I can play them comfortably. I had a J-165 for a while and couldn't play more than 20 minutes without my left hand cramping up and my right hand flubbing the fingerpicking. Its still hard for me to believe that 1/16th (or less) of an inch distributed over 6 strings makes so much difference. Maybe the neck was too skinny. Anyway, I've stayed away from Gibson since then cause I don't want to repeat the same mistake.

As BK mentioned, the L-OO Legend and various of the other L-OO models in recent years have a 1.75" nut width, coupled with a moderate V profile which is pretty comfortable for my average-sized hands.

I also have a 1943 SJ re-issue, which was part of a special run for Fuller's Vintage to a really nice spec. It has the Luthier's Choice neck, which has the 1.77" nut width, which is pushing it a bit if you have smaller hands, depending on your playing style. I do thumb-over bass note fretting quite a bit, and the wider neck takes a bit of hand contortions, which can be problematic for my arthritic hands.

Both of these guitars have wider than standard pin spacing as well: 2 3/16" for the SJ, and just over 2 3/8" for the L-OO.

Incidentally, I also have a Martin OOO-28 EC with a 1.75" nut, 2 3/8" pin spacing, and soft V neck profile. It feels entirely different compared to either of my Gibsons with wider necks.

Billroy - If you find any with a 1.75 nut please let me know. I have the same problem. Both (non-Gibson) guitars I own have a 1.75 nut and I can play them comfortably. I had a J-165 for a while and couldn't play more than 20 minutes without my left hand cramping up and my right hand flubbing the fingerpicking. Its still hard for me to believe that 1/16th (or less) of an inch distributed over 6 strings makes so much difference. Maybe the neck was too skinny. Anyway, I've stayed away from Gibson since then cause I don't want to repeat the same mistake.

Interesting. I thought the specs on the CJ & J-165 listed a 1.75" nut, which has kept me away from that model. About a year ago, I saw a very clean maple-bodied one online & inquired just to make sure about the nut (hoping it might be narrower). After measuring, the owner confirmed the 1.75" width, which was a deal breaker, darn it.

Thank you everyone, I think there's great leads on this thread, will see where it takes me. Bobouz - sorry you didn't find what you were looking for, I'm not thinking the 1.75 is what I want for all, but at least 1... maybe you should get one to investigate? I'll offer moral support if you need it to nudge you in the way of a new guitar purchase ;)

Rgds - billroy

Interesting. I thought the specs on the CJ & J-165 listed a 1.75" nut, which has kept me away from that model. About a year ago, I saw a very clean maple-bodied one online & inquired just to make sure about the nut (hoping it might be narrower). After measuring, the owner confirmed the 1.75" width, which was a deal breaker, darn it.

It was 1.725 like most new Gibsons. I found the specs listed in an old review and that is the number I remember. I don't know if the CJ was any different than the newer J but I doubt it. Those numbers are close enough that the owner could easily get it wrong.

As BK mentioned, the L-OO Legend and various of the other L-OO models in recent years have a 1.75" nut width, coupled with a moderate V profile which is pretty comfortable for my average-sized hands.

I also have a 1943 SJ re-issue, which was part of a special run for Fuller's Vintage to a really nice spec. It has the Luthier's Choice neck, which has the 1.77" nut width, which is pushing it a bit if you have smaller hands, depending on your playing style. I do thumb-over bass note fretting quite a bit, and the wider neck takes a bit of hand contortions, which can be problematic for my arthritic hands.

Both of these guitars have wider than standard pin spacing as well: 2 3/16" for the SJ, and just over 2 3/8" for the L-OO.

Incidentally, I also have a Martin OOO-28 EC with a 1.75" nut, 2 3/8" pin spacing, and soft V neck profile. It feels entirely different compared to either of my Gibsons with wider necks.

Thanks. I'll have to try them out if I can find them locally. I do the thumb over bass alot too so the 1.77 might be problem.

Bobouz - sorry you didn't find what you were looking for, I'm not thinking the 1.75 is what I want for all, but at least 1... maybe you should get one to investigate? I'll offer moral support if you need it to nudge you in the way of a new guitar purchase ;)

Thanks Billroy for the moral support! Actually, I did own a OM Martin, and I could never get used to the wider profile.

However, Fsharp's post prompted me to do some google checking, and he is correct re the factory specs for the CJ & J-165: Both are listed as having a 1.725" nut width. Perhaps I picked up the wider spec from a few inaccurate Reverb sellers.

That old adage: ‘you need to play it!’ applies, Billroy.

Or play one like it, same model....

But the truth is there is 1 3/4 and there is 1 3/4. [mellow]

99.999% of Gibsons since late 80s would be standard 1.72 nuts with a slimmish neck. AKA your J45.

Now Martin standard nut is these days 1 3/4 BUT....the necks are mainly 99.999% High Performance Neck, and some have said the neck is the same as a 1 11/16 neck but with 1 3/4 squeezed in.....they are fairly slim necks.

Australian Maton necks are similar.

Then we move to sometimes hated Mod V on custom Martins and Authentics. I love these! Based on mid 30s style necks. Now, these are 1 3/4 nuts but the string spacings are in the wider 2 3/8 at the saddle range. Fingerpicking delights with lots of room for fat fingers picking loose? Possibly 3 times the amount of wood in the neck as your J45. Lowdens are great big round necks.

Now my old 35 Gibson L50 has a severe V neck and my new Waterloo (Kalamazoo KG-14 copy) has a very very similar neck. I love these necks! Huge amount of wood again.

And the internet is full of people who have sent these necks back after complaining of hand pain, so.....buyer beware and buyer try it!

BluesKing777.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fsharp - here's a link to one i'm gassing over 34 jumbo reissue. Per BK's recommendation - need to try it to know if it's right... but this one is only 3 1/2 hours away, and I'm going to be half way there for a baseball tournament...

Bill- you have a justifiable case for some gas, there. A list of specs (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/1934-Original-Jumbo/Specs.aspx) that would get the attention of any J-45 person, and comes with the nearly impossible to find Redline case. In checking the above mentioned specs, yes, it is listed as having the slightly longer scale of 25 inches on the Gibson site.

Bill- you have a justifiable case for some gas, there. A list of specs (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/1934-Original-Jumbo/Specs.aspx) that would get the attention of any J-45 person, and comes with the nearly impossible to find Redline case. In checking the above mentioned specs, yes, it is listed as having the slightly longer scale of 25 inches on the Gibson site.

oooof - i had not seen the long scale, that's not a positive thing for me, need to mull it over as a potential deal breaker. If you don't mind the long scale, I have not problem living vicariously through yourself :)

Me thinks the .5" longer scale length would be so little away from the J-45's tone that it might be interesting. My only interest would be in the case, though. :)

I don't notice it on mine

823D8384-F8F5-4679-B690-F959E005F65B_zpscbcapwii.jpg

Hey Fsharp - here's a link to one i'm gassing over 34 jumbo reissue. Per BK's recommendation - need to try it to know if it's right... but this one is only 3 1/2 hours away, and I'm going to be half way there for a baseball tournament...

That is a nice one, but more than I want to spend. I only live 35 minutes away from the Music Zoo. In fact they sold my J-165 for me. They aren't cheap, but it's a legitimate place with alot of high end guitars. If you do come think about taking the ferry from New London or Bridgeport. Its a whole lot more relaxing than driving all the way down to the Throgs Neck Bridge.

All of Gibson's replicas of guitars from my personal collection of Banner models, like this one, have 1/34 inch nuts. Yeah, difficult to find. Only 50 copies (at most) of my SJ, J-45, and LG-1 (rare x-braced model that modern Gibson designated an LG-2).

That is a nice one, but more than I want to spend. I only live 35 minutes away from the Music Zoo. In fact they sold my J-165 for me. They aren't cheap, but it's a legitimate place with alot of high end guitars. If you do come think about taking the ferry from New London or Bridgeport. Its a whole lot more relaxing than driving all the way down to the Throgs Neck Bridge.

Thanks fsharp, I've seen a fair number of guitars from there, but didn't know anything about the store... and if the trip happens, will definitely look into the ferry - a boat ride makes everything better! Any idea if they negotiate on prices at all, or are they pretty hard set?

All of Gibson's replicas of guitars from my personal collection of Banner models, like this one, have 1/34 inch nuts. Yeah, difficult to find. Only 50 copies (at most) of my SJ, J-45, and LG-1 (rare x-braced model that modern Gibson designated an LG-2).

Hey jt - thanks for your input, it's giving me hope that I may happen upon what I'm looking for. The one in the link in my OP is beautiful, visually - but not yet played yet, and I'm wary of the scale length.

Back to ‘have to play it to know’ weirdness......... [unsure]

It could need a year of play to know....

While I love 1 3/4” nut and 2 3/8” bridge spacing as perfection for my fingerpicking style, get this:

If the first guitar of the day I grab from my girls is 1 11/16” nut over who knows what bridge spacing on a decent C neck like my 59 LG3, well, full steam ahead! Next for me, Blues King L-00 at Gibson modern 1.72” nut over slim neck, going good. Then finish up with the 37 L-0 with 1 3/4” and 2 3/8” space..... [biggrin] ......slowly stretch out the finger muscles, don’t worry about the poor brain....

BluesKing777.

Thanks fsharp, I've seen a fair number of guitars from there, but didn't know anything about the store... and if the trip happens, will definitely look into the ferry - a boat ride makes everything better! Any idea if they negotiate on prices at all, or are they pretty hard set?

They definitely negotiate. How much though depends a lot on whether they are offering the guitar on consignment for someone else or whether they have taken it in trade and own it. If its on consignment, they will likely go to owner's low point pretty quickly. They get something like 15 or 20% of a consignment sale so they don't really lose much by lowering the price and they want quick sales. My guitar magically went at my minimum about 2 days after I gave it to them. See if you can negotiate the sales tax away too - its possible if they ship it to you they can drop that out but I'm not really sure.

Archived