Gibson Brands Forums

Be careful with the bug spray this summer

Boyd

Was playing my 1965 J-50 out in the woods a couple days ago, and since I got eaten up by the mosquitoes the day before, I sprayed my shirt with some Deep Woods Off first. I waited a few hours before playing the guitar, but that wasn't enough. After playing for awhile I felt it sticking to my shirt. There was actually an imprint of the t-shirt fabric weave in the finish and it felt all sticky. Tried a little Virtuoso cleaner and that just turned into a gummy mess. There was a cloudy, sticky area that looked really bad.

Put the guitar in an air conditioned room and checked again today. Luckily, the finish feels hard again and most of the cloudiness is gone. Cleaned it again with Virtuoso and it looks pretty good. I think any remaining cloudiiness will just naturally buff out from normal playing - with a un-treated shirt!

Phew! I think I was lucky, it looked really bad the other day.

Even the residue ?

Yeah, I was surprised. I think there's a lot of alcohol in the spray which can be harmful, but figured I'd waited long enough for that to evaporate. It was also a hot, sweaty day so that was probably a factor.

Truth. A little bug spray (old school spray--yikes) on the flannel sleeve of my strumming arm, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away...

I still have the souvenir of this then-young man's night around a campfire on an old Guild D25M.

Keep it off your instruments. My older self now still plays on patios...but knows where to spray ;)

Yep, learned the hard way and have a nice reminder....Its all good, part of the lower bout where my arm was in contact got a bit hazed..Wipe yourself off after applying Deet!!! ..I guess you could call it "relic". The guitar, thankfully, keeps sounding better.....Drop D tuning today and oh my, the J45 is versatile...

From Wikipedia.

Effects on materials

DEET is an effective solvent,[7] and may dissolve some watch crystals,[4] plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish.

Dont use Deet and play your nitro guitar.

Lots more info here:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig122

Actually, I rarely use the stuff. Mosquitoes usually aren't that bad here, but we had a rainy spell recently and it was a hot, still day with no breeze to blow the skeeters around. The biggest concern here is ticks and DEET is only minimally effective with them. The best defense against ticks are permethrin based sprays - you have to treat your clothes in advance with it and then wait for them to completely dry. You cannot apply it directly to your skin. It's quite effective for several weeks on treated clothes. I find that most people have never even heard of it, and there's a "conspiracy theory" that the big companies who make DEET products try to suppress it. For example, you won't find permethrin in the grocery store or drug store. But you can get it at sporting goods stores like REI and ****'s.

[edit]LOL, the forum software censored out the name of a well-known US sporting goods store that starts with a "D". [tongue]

I had read a horror story some where last year I think (may have been on the AGF..) the stuff got sprayed on the guitar, and it really messed the finish up.

So I spose, definitely gotta choose, play guitar out side and get eaten alive, or seek shelter!

We have a screen'd gazebo on our deck and the little buggers can still get in. not sure what purpose these little pest serve,, cept food for bats I guess..

Archived