Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 2018 Gibson J45 Vintage

thegreatgumbino

My new 2018 Gibson J45 Vintage arrived yesterday, which replaces my 2015 SCSJ. I'm loving it thus far.

A couple of the Gibson inspectors (who's favorite Gibson happens to be the J45 Vintage) played through the batch made in late May and pulled the cream of the crop. A few days later Ben joined them to play the choice few and they handpicked "the one". In his words, "It's stellar." The guitar shipped to my local mom and pop Gibson dealer. When I called to make sure it arrived, the gentleman answering the phone had just unboxed and played it. He was besides himself and said, "It's phenomenal." He was disappointed it wasn't for their inventory as he was ready to purchase it.

Quite amazing, really. Born on 5/20/18, but sounds and plays much older thanks to the torrefied top. The size of the vintage round neck is perfect. I love the way the thin/VOS finish looks and feels. It will be nice to have future wear less visible since the guitar finish simulates age vs. the traditional gloss finish. Best factory setup guitar I've ever owned. It is just about perfect out of the box. Changed the strings to Martin Retro LJ's and the guitar sounds fantastic. Dry and woody with the Gibson thump. Tuning standard D, Drop D, DADGAD, and Open G it all sounds excellent. Capo's well all the way to the ninth fret. It's weighs in at 3.8 lbs on the digital scale. The case is fantastic, and the nicest I've ever owned. Fits the guitar like a glove. Love the nice padded leather handle. The pic doesn't do it justice. Even my wife, who could care less about my guitar stuff, said the case is freaking beautiful. I don't know if it's the case, the guitar or both, but the smell is intoxicating. Strong vanilla with hints of pipe tobacco scent that I hope never fades.

I'm looking forward to putting some time on this guitar to see what it turns into.

jZySBkW.jpg

SsUEr8Y.jpg

aSEuJKQ.jpg

t1kjaCs.jpg

Outstanding. A few years ago I got to play the first one off the line, and they would not sell it to me, had to take it on tour Gawd those are great guitars. Wrapped in an old blanket or cuddled by that cool Cali-case, these are stand alone really really good J-45s. Great acquisition. [thumbup]

Congrats- quite the NGD.

So, there are still mom & pop shops selling Gibsons? Good to hear. And what a glowing report on guitar and case "don't know if it's the case, the guitar or both, but the smell is intoxicating. Strong vanilla with hints of pipe tobacco scent that I hope never fades"(we are talking about the case, not a bottle of '61 Cheval Blanc, yes?). Either way Gibson marketing says that the check is in the mail.

An interesting effect on the grain of that top- Dr Freud might have something to say about that. If you are the daring sort, have a look at that toasted top with a UV light.

Enjoy..

Congrats...that guitar is stunning...Strike a D chord and 213 songs will come out. Play that guitar!!

Thanks!

Wow. Beautifully aged! Major congrats!

Gracias!

All's well that ends well.

The play's the thing.

Truth.

Outstanding. A few years ago I got to play the first one off the line, and they would not sell it to me, had to take it on tour Gawd those are great guitars. Wrapped in an old blanket or cuddled by that cool Cali-case, these are stand alone really really good J-45s. Great acquisition. [thumbup]

I played one for the first time about a month ago at GC and was blown away. I've been haunted by it since. This one satisfies that hunger. I can't imagine

Congrats- quite the NGD.

So, there are still mom & pop shops selling Gibsons? Good to hear. And what a glowing report on guitar and case "don't know if it's the case, the guitar or both, but the smell is intoxicating. Strong vanilla with hints of pipe tobacco scent that I hope never fades"(we are talking about the case, not a bottle of '61 Cheval Blanc, yes?). Either way Gibson marketing says that the check is in the mail.

An interesting effect on the grain of that top- Dr Freud might have something to say about that. If you are the daring sort, have a look at that toasted top with a UV light.

Enjoy..

Other than GC and Sam Ash, there is only one small shop (Great Southern Music) that is still a Gibson dealer. The owner has been repairing guitars for 40+ years and his son helps run it. Great folks. I've never seen more than three on the wall at once, but it's better than nothing.

As for the smell, you have to experience it to believe it. It's not even subtle. The entire room smells like it. After I've been playing for a while, my clothes smell like it. My wife was out of the house for a few hours this evening and it was the first thing she commented on when she walked in the room tonight. It's that good.

What does the UV light show? This is the first I've heard of this.

As for the smell, you have to experience it to believe it. It's not even subtle. The entire room smells like it. After I've been playing for a while, my clothes smell like it. My wife was out of the house for a few hours this evening and it was the first thing she commented on when she walked in the room tonight. It's that good.

Keep it in the case to protect the smell. I know exactly what you are referring to. It's a combination of real mahogany and toasted Adirondack spruce. It is intoxicating.

Congratulations.

Thanks, folks. I can only imagine what this guitar is going to sound like as it gets played and some time under it's belt. Now if I can figure out how to add a Hummingbird Vintage to the stable, I'll be an incredibly blessed and happy individual.

So glad that your lengthy problems have come to a happy conclusion. Your J45 Vintage looks incredible and i’m sure it sounds even better. Enjoy!

Thanks, Jinder. I am as well and more than pleased with Gibson's customer service. Ben was great to deal with.

Congrats on a great looking guitar. I love the colors on that fingerboard. My favorite case too!

I love the red streak on the fingerboard too. It's definitely unique.

Wow see. Congrats.

That smell is great ain’t it?

The smell is divine!

Amazing guitar! Torrefied red spruce top?

Correct.

Keep it in the case to protect the smell. I know exactly what you are referring to. It's a combination of real mahogany and toasted Adirondack spruce. It is intoxicating.

Congratulations.

I was thinking the same thing. I normally keep them hanging on the wall, but with this one 1) I want the smell to last for as long as possible and 2) keeping it in the case gives me a reason to admire the beautiful case!

Well Done. Mine has become my favorite guitar all on its own merits. Hope you stay happy with your J-45 Vintage. [thumbup]

I can understand why. How long have you had yours? Do you recall the sound changing much as it opened up/aged?

Yeah. There’s something very sexy about that guitar

Interesting too indeed

Enjoy it

There's definitely an interesting back story. The fact it was built the day before my wife's birthday is cool too. I don't see this one going anywhere.

I can understand why. How long have you had yours? Do you recall the sound changing much as it opened up/aged?

Mine is from the first production run of the J-45 Vintage. Like any guitar it did still open up a bit over time and play even though torrefied adi top. I also went from the Gibson 80/20 strings to Pearse phos bronze and have stayed there up to now. Might just be time about now to give the 80/20s a second chance. The rolled board edges have really spoiled me also. Hope you stay happy with your new one!

Sweet! Beautiful instrument. Maybe I missed a story somewhere, but how did you get one cherry-picked off the line?

Thanks!

The abbreviated version is my Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo had a weird buzz from the day I purchased it new. Numerous techs, luthiers and a Gibson authorized warranty shop couldn’t figure it out. I owned the SCSJ for two years and it spent almost 7 full months out of the last 8 1/2 at one of the shops trying to be fixed. Two trips back to Bozeman for warranty work, and they decided to replace it with the guitar of my choice. Ben Broyles with Gibson was fantastic to work with and said the goal was "to help reignite your Gibson dream!"

Backstory can be found here:

Long Version

Full story

Archived