Gibson Brands Forums

Some Old School Cool

zombywoof

A friend of mine sent me this - a Dearmond 210 pickup. While these in themselves are tasty but not hard to find (I have three of them) what makes this one cool is it came with everything you originally got with it including a 1951 sales receipt. A virtual time capsule of Dearmond goodness.

Dearmond_-_3.jpg

Deamond_-1.jpg

Dearmond_-_4.jpg

Very cool to see all that original stuff. The pickup looks just like mine, but in worse shape. However I was told mine is a DeArmond RHC-B and not a 210. The seller was very emphatic about that, and claimed many people refer to these incorrectly as the 210. The "-B" supposedly indicates that there is no visible pole for the B string (although there is one under the plastic). This was done to keep the B string from sounding too loud. I assumed that the "RH" is short for "Right Hand". Perhaps it's just a question of when the pickup was manufactured, and the name was changed at some point?

Very cool to see all that original stuff. The pickup looks just like mine, but in worse shape. However I was told mine is a DeArmond RHC-B and not a 210. The seller was very emphatic about that, and claimed many people refer to these incorrectly as the 210. The "-B" supposedly indicates that there is no visible pole for the B string (although there is one under the plastic). This was done to keep the B string from sounding too loud. I assumed that the "RH" is short for "Right Hand". Perhaps it's just a question of when the pickup was manufactured, and the name was changed at some point?

"RH" stood for round hole while the "FH" designated f-hole. As such every Dearmond pickup for a round soundhole guitar was listed as RHC which is what the patent is listed under. 210 is simply the generic designation for the pickup as earlier versions were known as the Model 210 Guitar Microphone. The RHC-B though is the name by which the third and last version is known. I believe the "B" has nothing to do with the pole being exposed or not as if I recall the patent for the RHC B originally had six exposed poles but was later marketed with the hidden B pole. The receipt that came with mine lists the pickup as an R.H.C. Personally I prefer the earlier version with the exposed B pole which had a metal frame around the volume wheel. In my opinion, just better constructed.

That is cool! Any plans for it?

Going to leave it all, including the cable, as is. As I have others all of which have had the cables changed out as well as a Kent knockoff (also in its original box with all the goodies that came with it) there is no shortage of them here

Thanks ZW!

Fabulous stuff!

I have the one with the volume wheel and the opposite end of the used spectrum as your item...broken wing, crackles and hisses.

Sounds ok to awful in various amps, best in a old tube amp probably...until I tried it through a decent preamp! (with gain, tone, DI, all the goods to manipulate it to sound perfect for a dirty little grungy anti-hifi tone that is great for strumming backup for something like one of Lou Reed's tunes etc.) I will see if I can come up with something.

mQXl2eHh.jpg

BluesKing777.

My 1947 L-7 came with and old 210 Guitar Mic that worked perfectly. I should have kept it when I sold the guitar, but the guitar and pickup had probably been together for more than 50 years, so it felt right to keep them together.

Just noticed... tap on Zomby’s images and you can find the hottest single blondes, a sexy brunette who wants to spoil you, everything that Trump eats, and a lot of other “interesting” things, LOL. [scared]

For those that have never heard one, here's a recording of a few chords played through my DeArmond in the photo above, a few chords from Some Girls on my Chinese Bird copy, complete with the permanent old time hiss and crackles and lovely grunge of the DeArmond but with the gain and tone controls of a nice preamp/DI:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/dearmond777

BluesKing777.

Archived