Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pulled Up

QuestionMark

This past week the bridge pulled up on my 2006 J-45 Custom Shop 1964 Reissue...as I was playing it at a gig. I looked down as I was playing and saw the top side of the bridge pulled up, because the top behind the bridge had swelled. Figured the bridge plate underneath must have unglued. Still stayed in tune and was in the middle of a gig so I just kept playing. At my first break I called Gibson’s authorized repairman in the area and made an appointment to bring the guitar to him this past Friday with my paperwork that I had bought it new (as old stock) in 2009. Then, went back and finished my gig. Brought it to him this past Friday. He said it should be covered by its new guitar warrantee and that he will contact Gibson in Montana with what should happen next. Either he fixes it or sends it to Montana, I believe. He said he should hear what the plan is this week and will get back to me.

Feel lucky to have more guitars in my herd while it’s under repair as I have four gigs this week and many more in the next couple of months. My 1994 Gibson Gospel Reissue is presently pinch hitting...doing a fine job so far I might add.

Stuff happens. That!’s why there are guitar techs as well as warranties, is my attitude. Always something...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

agree that this is the best way to handle this sort of thing (emotionally anyway!). and while it seems unusual these days for this to happen, but I guess sh*t does happen.

what gauge strings are you typically using?

best of luck with the repairs.

agree that this is the best way to handle this sort of thing (emotionally anyway!). and while it seems unusual these days for this to happen, but I guess sh*t does happen.

what gauge strings are you typically using?

best of luck with the repairs.

12s.

I’ve learned it’s not what happens that matters, it’s how I handle what happens that matters. And, that it can be a lot more enjoyable, productive, and mindful that way.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Anyone have an idea as to the cause of such a thing

Sorry to hear of your trouble Jeff.

And good attitude indeed. Just if there was a cause the rest of us could keep and eye on whatever might have happened

Dunno, could be just luck of the draw, or a bad glue job.

It is always possible that problems can be moisture related (too damp/too dry), but that usually doesn't cause a a bridge life in my (not so vast) expertise on this.

Then again, not knowing Jeffs environment, could be unrelated.

The local authorized Gibson tech examined the guitar for any signs of dryness while I was there and said he found none. No cracks, no fret ends sticking out on the neck...the finish is in great shape. He also commented to me that the guitar seemed to be well cared for by me...which is the truth.

The only thing I noticed that particular day was it rained in the morning, then it stopped and when I was outside playing music (after the rain stopped) it became really humid feeling outdoors, then, outdoors it became no longer humid feeling.at all. After that atmospheric condition was present is when I noticed the bridge pulled up. No idea if it was a factor. Certainly, nothing I could control as I was playing an outdoor gig.

Otherwise, as I historically play a lot of outdoor gigs in the spring, summer, and autumn and have for some years...I can’t really pinpoint any unusual specific that could have caused it. The guitar is a player with its share of many hours played on it and always a comfortable playing and responsive instrument to what I wanted to musically get out of it. Stuff happens, I guess. Looking forward to getting it back at some point.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

yea,, sort of sounds like you just hit the sh*t luck lottery.

hope everything gets set right with the Warranty repair.. let us know how the story ends.

if this happened to my J200, I hopefully would be as rational and calm as you seem. Probably would be, as I have 3 other fine acoustics.

Must have been an afternoon gig.

I hate to tell you how I used to deal with this one. If you looked closely at a 1940s LG-2 I used to own you would see three little holes on the butt of the guitar. Yup, I slapped a trapeze tailpiece on the thing. The only other acoustic I owned at the time was a Harmony Sovereign which was in dire need of a neck reset and just too many gigs lined up to let the Gibson go in for a repair just then.

Sorry to hear this happened. You mentioned that the top bellied up behind the bridge… Did your tech check for loose braces? The guitar stayed in tune- that’s pretty strange/ did you take a picture of the bridge where it pulled up? Gets hot down in New Awlins? The combination of temperature plus stress from the strings might not of helped any. I’m sure the repair will have you better than new.

I am in Chicagoland...

The tech didn’t mention loose braces, but it could have occurred. I take it that once the repair work starts more will be inspected in detail.

I was gonna take an iPhone photo, but then I kinda forgot in the time crunch of it all.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Must have been an afternoon gig.

I hate to tell you how I used to deal with this one. If you looked closely at a 1940s LG-2 I used to own you would see three little holes on the butt of the guitar. Yup, I slapped a trapeze tailpiece on the thing. The only other acoustic I owned at the time was a Harmony Sovereign which was in dire need of a neck reset and just too many gigs lined up to let the Gibson go in for a repair just then.

Yep, an afternoon gig.

Based on what you went through as a youngun with your LG2, I can tell you fully understand why I said I feel lucky that I had another guitar I’m the herd to use for my upcoming gigs.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Fingers crossed it can be sorted and a happy ending results, QM.

I had the same thing happen on a Guild F30R I owned about ten years back. Such a sweet sounding guitar, but the bridgeplate wasn’t glued down properly-when the weather warmed up, off it popped and the bridge pulled up badly.

I took it back to the store, who replaced it with a different F30R, a sunburst electro model. That never had the mojo of the original one, so I moved it on. Luck of the draw...

• 4 weeks later...

This past week the bridge pulled up on my 2006 J-45 Custom Shop 1964 Reissue...as I was playing it at a gig. I looked down as I was playing and saw the top side of the bridge pulled up, because the top behind the bridge had swelled. Figured the bridge plate underneath must have unglued. Still stayed in tune and was in the middle of a gig so I just kept playing. At my first break I called Gibson’s authorized repairman in the area and made an appointment to bring the guitar to him this past Friday with my paperwork that I had bought it new (as old stock) in 2009. Then, went back and finished my gig. Brought it to him this past Friday. He said it should be covered by its new guitar warrantee and that he will contact Gibson in Montana with what should happen next. Either he fixes it or sends it to Montana, I believe. He said he should hear what the plan is this week and will get back to me.

Feel lucky to have more guitars in my herd while it’s under repair as I have four gigs this week and many more in the next couple of months. My 1994 Gibson Gospel Reissue is presently pinch hitting...doing a fine job so far I might add.

Stuff happens. That!’s why there are guitar techs as well as warranties, is my attitude. Always something...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

This morning I picked up my warrantee repaired 2006 Gibson J-45 CS 1964 Reissue from Gibson’s authorized repairman in Chicagoland. It’s now as good as new!

I asked him what, if anything I can do, in the future, to not have the bridge pull up again, and he responded that I shouldn’t change anything pertaining to the care and use of it that I’ve been doing in the past, in the future...and, that what caused it was a simple oversight and defect when the guitar was manufactured, where the bridge, just happened to not be, properly glued and attached as it should have been. He also explained that the guitar remains under Gibson’s warrantee now that the bridge has been properly repaired and attached under the warrantee work and gave me the appropriate paperwork.

Great to have the guitar back. It’s playing and looking great as ever. It’ll go back into being my main gigging guitar, again, this weekend. Quite happy with the Gibson warrantee service I received! And, to have the guitar back.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived