• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MIRC Guitars 2017 Epiphone 56 Les Paul Standard Pro

#1 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:46 PM

I recently purchased a used Epiphone 56 Les Paul Standard Pro online from a music store through ebay. It was listed as used in excellent condition and stamped used.

This is a MIRC (Musical Instrument Reclamation Corporation). MIRC receives damaged guitars direct from the manufacturer, repairs them and sends them on to a retailer for sale.

MIRC is known for repairing guitars to a level that you cannot tell anything that was wrong, including broken necks, then they place their serial number sticker over the guitars SN.

The MIRC statement on mine said that MIRC found nothing wrong with the guitar and set it up, then sent it on to the retailer.

My Les Paul arrived in immaculate condition. Yesterday I peeled back the MIRC sticker to discover they had punched out the last three digits in the serial number.

To me MIRC damaged this guitar that was in perfect condition.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 25 June 2018 - 02:49 PM

P-90's Rule.. Posted ImagePosted Image . But not for everyone...

#2 User is offline   Wizard1 

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 25 June 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

I recently purchased a used Epiphone 56 Les Paul Standard Pro online from a music store through ebay. It was listed as used in excellent condition and stamped used.

This is a MIRC (Musical Instrument Reclamation Corporation). MIRC receives damaged guitars direct from the manufacturer, repairs them and sends them on to a retailer for sale.

MIRC is known for repairing guitars to a level that you cannot tell anything that was wrong, including broken necks, then they place their serial number sticker over the guitars SN.

The MIRC statement on mine said that MIRC found nothing wrong with the guitar and set it up, then sent it on to the retailer.

My Les Paul arrived in immaculate condition. Yesterday I peeled back the MIRC sticker to discover they had punched out the last three digits in the serial number.

#3 User is offline   Wizard1 

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 25 June 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

It is a normal thing to get your guitar thru them in exactly that way. It is not an issue at all. I have had several that were the same. No biggie.

#4 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostWizard1, on 25 June 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

It is a normal thing to get your guitar thru them in exactly that way. It is not an issue at all. I have had several that were the same. No biggie.

My LP is wonderful, it was just distressing that they would have had to hit it pretty hard to make such deep impressions. Considering that this is virtually a new guitar the price was below market but had I known that they punched out the last 3 SN's I would have offered less.

#5 User is offline   Cougar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationThe Wild West

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 25 June 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

...had I known that they punched out the last 3 SN's I would have offered less.

Not sure why they'd do that. You'd think the punched in "USED" on the back of the headstock would be enough!

• 2018 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe 12-string rosewood burst
  • 2011 Guild F50R burst
  • 2002 Guild JF30-12 burst
  • 2014 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string
  • 2012 Epiphone Lennon EJ-160E VS
  • 1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string burst
  • 2012 Epiphone Dot trans cherry
  • 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber
  • Yamaha Motif XS7

#6 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:54 PM

View PostCougar, on 25 June 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

Not sure why they'd do that. You'd think the punched in "USED" on the back of the headstock would be enough!

I agree... I have had the LP for a couple of months, its a dream to play, I just pulled the sticker off yesterday and was shocked.

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 25 June 2018 - 08:09 PM

#7 User is offline   Big Bill 

• Stink Finger Willie

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

I may be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that Epiphone did that before selling it to MIRC so that can't sell it as new.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson ES 339 Memphis
Gretsch 2655 Streamliner
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender 60s Baja Telecaster
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Fender Jazz Bass 1975 Reissue
Hofner Limited Edition Ed Sullivan Ignition Violin Bass
Seagull Excursion Grand Acoustic

#8 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:31 PM

View PostBig Bill, on 26 June 2018 - 07:50 AM, said:

I may be wrong, but I'm willing to bet that Epiphone did that before selling it to MIRC so that can't sell it as new.

That would make sense....

Part of the reason I posted this thread was to help make everyone aware of MIRC's and to collect information on them.

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 26 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

#9 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, or MIRC may have done it, as a condition via Epiphone, so people can peel off the MIRC tape serial number,
and make a Epiphone Warranty claim. Just a guess.

CB

#10 User is offline   tweed2 

• "Official Forum Member"
  • LocationThe Hills of the Other Washington

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

View Postcharlie brown, on 27 June 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

Yeah, or MIRC may have done it, as a condition via Epiphone, so people can peel off the MIRC tape serial number,
and make a Epiphone Warranty claim. Just a guess.

CB

I've purchased 3 "USED" Epiphone guitars. I contacted Epiphone after purchasing the first one, a ZBD, as I couldn't find anything wrong with it and wondered why it was "branded". They couldn't give me a detailed answer on the ZBD, but said that the reason for the permanent marking was to avoid warranty work, on a guitar that for whatever reason, didn't pass muster the first time. In all three cases, I got a great guitar for much less than buying new. I doubt I would have purchased any of those models, had I not got the deal. I wouldn't hesitate on getting another if the right model presented itself.
J P Patches Pal
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:14 PM

View Posttweed2, on 28 June 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

I've purchased 3 "USED" Epiphone guitars. I contacted Epiphone after purchasing the first one, a ZBD, as I couldn't find anything wrong with it and wondered why it was "branded". They couldn't give me a detailed answer on the ZBD, but said that the reason for the permanent marking was to avoid warranty work, on a guitar that for whatever reason, didn't pass muster the first time. In all three cases, I got a great guitar for much less than buying new. I doubt I would have purchased any of those models, had I not got the deal. I wouldn't hesitate on getting another if the right model presented itself.

I love playing my 56 LP Standard Pro... MIRC or not its perfect in every other respect..
Posted Image

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 29 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

#12 User is offline   crust 

• Epiphone Enthusiast
  • LocationBrockton, Massachusetts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

View Postmihcmac, on 28 June 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

I love playing my 56 LP Standard Pro... MIRC or not its perfect in every other respect..
Posted Image

yes Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Big Bill 

• Stink Finger Willie

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:31 AM

View Postmihcmac, on 28 June 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

MIRC or not its perfect in every other respect..

You say, "MIRC"as it devalues what you have. It's a guitar that could not be sold as new by Epiphone's standards and MIRC bought it polished it up and sold it. My point is, you have a sweet guitar, doesn't matter where you bought from. I'm glad you are enjoying it.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson ES 339 Memphis
Gretsch 2655 Streamliner
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender 60s Baja Telecaster
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Fender Jazz Bass 1975 Reissue
Hofner Limited Edition Ed Sullivan Ignition Violin Bass
Seagull Excursion Grand Acoustic

#14 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:47 PM

View PostBig Bill, on 01 July 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

You say, "MIRC"as it devalues what you have. It's a guitar that could not be sold as new by Epiphone's standards and MIRC bought it polished it up and sold it. My point is, you have a sweet guitar, doesn't matter where you bought from. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

My 56 LP plays so well it has earned a permanent place in my stable. The 50's style Rounded C profile (fat neck) is so solid and straight that I was temped to install a tremolo on it. I have had my Duesenberg Les Trem II on it for about a week and this combination is proving to be excellent..
Posted Image

The MIRC statement on the guitar said nothing could be found wrong with it, so it was setup and sent to the retailer. Crimson Red 56 Les Paul Standard Pro's are not that plentiful, there are also Black, Blue and the Gold Top Pro that is sometimes confused with the very popular 56 Les Paul Gold Top which is a different guitar.

Since this posting I have become aware of other repair centers that perform work on guitars direct from the factory and hope to continue collecting in formation on them.

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 05 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users