Gibson Brands Forums

Magic Chord and J45 Love

uncle fester

Hi All - Just a story

I've been playing a lot of open tuning, which has kept me playing my Guild, (because it's tuned that way, but I really do like the feel of it for what I'm playing). Anyways, it's been a couple weeks since I picked up the J-45, but this morning was looking for something a little different and grabbed it again. No plan on what to play, just sat down in front of the chickens, picked it up and started to play... a quick little lead line, that lead to a chord run down and landed on a simple E chord... a BEAUTIFUL, FULL, RESONANT, ARTICULATE, E chord. Man it rang out just right, and my J-45 love happened again. Good morning to me! Thanks for allowing me to ramble.

Just to stir the pot, I know string choice is opinion, but any choice but PB is incorrect :) (meant in humor)

Hi All - Just a story

I've been playing a lot of open tuning, which has kept me playing my Guild, (because it's tuned that way, but I really do like the feel of it for what I'm playing). Anyways, it's been a couple weeks since I picked up the J-45, but this morning was looking for something a little different and grabbed it again. No plan on what to play, just sat down in front of the chickens, picked it up and started to play... a quick little lead line, that lead to a chord run down and landed on a simple E chord... a BEAUTIFUL, FULL, RESONANT, ARTICULATE, E chord. Man it rang out just right, and my J-45 love happened again. Good morning to me! Thanks for allowing me to ramble.

Just to stir the pot, I know string choice is opinion, but any choice but PB is incorrect :) (meant in humor)

My Guild is also in open tuning (G)! I've been playing That's The Way a lot lately as I prepare for my first gig in the last 5 years or so. But yeah, great story nonetheless. Nothing better than picking up a seldom played git and falling in love again. I actually did the same thing with my Gibson AJ. My Guild is my beater so it's the one that's always sitting out, so she's the one where all the songs get written and all the love really. But then with this gig coming up, I've been playing the Gibby more and man, I feel so bad for neglecting her for so long. Not to paint the wrong picture. The AJ did get played sometimes but not nearly as much as the Guild. The AJ is my fave, it's just the Guild is so accessible, because, you know.... it's hard getting a guitar out of its case :unsure:

My Guild is also in open tuning (G)!.... My Guild is my beater so it's the one that's always sitting out, so she's the one where all the songs get written and all the love really....

I totally love my Guilds. I mean, a New Hartford F-50R and a Corona JF30-12... that really covers all my bases. But eventually I had to get a J-45. That time is now. Arrives in 2 days. I'm thinking I'll be finding a base I didn't know I had.... msp_cool.gif

I totally love my Guilds. I mean, a New Hartford F-50R and a Corona JF30-12... that really covers all my bases. But eventually I had to get a J-45. That time is now. Arrives in 2 days. I'm thinking I'll be finding a base I didn't know I had.... msp_cool.gif

Cougar - I'm along for the ride, hope it arrives sooner than thought... and I predict it will blow you away!

My Guild is also in open tuning (G)! I've been playing That's The Way a lot lately as I prepare for my first gig in the last 5 years or so. But yeah, great story nonetheless. Nothing better than picking up a seldom played git and falling in love again. I actually did the same thing with my Gibson AJ. My Guild is my beater so it's the one that's always sitting out, so she's the one where all the songs get written and all the love really. But then with this gig coming up, I've been playing the Gibby more and man, I feel so bad for neglecting her for so long. Not to paint the wrong picture. The AJ did get played sometimes but not nearly as much as the Guild. The AJ is my fave, it's just the Guild is so accessible, because, you know.... it's hard getting a guitar out of its case :unsure:

First gig in 5 yrs or so... Awesome - Good Luck (I hear the AJ whispering, it say's 'you know it's me and you that were meant to be together, let's go rock this pop stand!)

For whatever reason I more often as not reach for either my Silvertone Sovereign or NYC-made Epiphone FT-79. I swear I think part of the reason I do not grab the '42 J-50 is because I keep it in an Ameritage case which weighs as much as a boat anchor and has a ton of latches.

Funny though but the reason I latched onto Gibsons decades ago rather than say Martins and have kept them around is they are not one of those guitars which will ring out until Kingdom Come. I love the quicker decay. They give you one big note and then get out of the way. There is a almost a kind of fundamental ladder braced element to them.

Archived