Gibson Brands Forums

sg standard

gazaboy1

the QC issues are really hit and miss.

I have a 2012 with a baked maple fret board, which made the traditionalist wail in angst and agony, turns out, it's great. (I just got done a quick spin with it after a string change)

That Guitar rocks.. So you really never know.

your best angle is to try one before purchase, if possible.. or if not, go to some place with a real good return policy on line (Sweetwater has never done anything but top notch sales and post sales support)

they make things right if sth goes south. this is where I got that SG, as well as a few other very fine Gibson Epiphone and Fender guitars.

I agree...play several (if possible) before you commit to purchasing. After not owning an SG, for nearly 40 years,

I now have 5 SG's (4 from 2013) and a recent purchase (from Sweetwater) of a SG Jr. ALL, are excellent guitars in

every way. I'm picky, about having the original (deeper wider) beveling, and horn tapering. Some don't care about

that, but it's a big deal, to me, because that's what I grew up playing, early 60's "Les Paul" SG's. The 2013 models,

had all those "correct" spec's. And, of course, the '61 reissue models do also. But, that's basically "cosmetic,"

even so. The important thing is, to find one that plays well, sounds great, and is built to the best standards

available. Fit and Finish!

Good Hunting! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

hi all. lifelong dream to own a proper Gibby SG Standard. But unfortunately the reviews on the craftmanship have put me off. So anyone want to convince me otherwise??

Need to be specific about what craftsmanship issues the reviews you have read are talking about. There are a lot of SG owners out here and they may have the answers. If you want to buy a 2018 SG Standard from an online store make sure they have the one you want in stock. You can also buy 2017's and 2016's etc. that are brand new from reputable dealers.

SG's are incredible guitars, in good condition it doesn't matter what year they are....

SG13HCCH1Glam-940e07270f2c0d7ee0a36d43c0711dac.jpg

Don't let any of us dipshits in here tell you either way. I'm on the happy side of the house. Go out and create your own opinion. Remember, opinions are like asswholes, everybody has one and their holes are different than everyone else's.

Don't let any of us dipshits in here tell you either way. I'm on the happy side of the house. Go out and create your own opinion. Remember, opinions are like asswholes, everybody has one and their holes are different than everyone else's.

[rolleyes][biggrin][crying]:lol:](*,)

May I just be allowed to congratulate the OP on the happy occasion of his first post here despite having been a member of the forum for over 9 years?

eusa_clap.gif

Pip.

Wow Pippy, you are really good at catching the details... [thumbup]

May I just be allowed to congratulate the OP on the happy occasion of his first post here despite having been a member of the forum for over 9 years?

eusa_clap.gif

Pip.

You owe me a new computer monitor! I just sprayed my morning coffee through my nose all over it!!

if you can find a 2017 'SG' Standard in Cherry-Burst, buy it, it is sooo fine looking/sounding/playing. I got a 2017 'SG' Standard 'Black-Beauty' as the Cherry-Burst was back-ordered for 6-8 weeks when I went to buy mine. MNM the one I got is KILLER, and color's do not mean a whole lot to me, so I did not mind buyin' the Black-Beauty. I knew I wanted the '17 'SG' Standard, soon as I saw it: the Angel Wing pick-guard , '57 Classic P-Ups, rolled binding...it is smooth on the hand......it was the 'SG' I had waited for GIBSON USA to manufacture since 2013. When I played it I was glad I waited. The '14, '15 & '16 'SG' Standards all had something I did not like. MIN-E Tune, G-Farce or large pick-guards and the '16 'SG' Standard I played was not much better sounding than the 2016 'SG' Special I got for $585, new, out-the-door !

But I knew as soon as I picked up the 2017 'SG' Standard that the wait was over, patience is a virtue after-all (?). The 2018 ? I have no opinion on as I have yet to play one......GIBSON USA did stop making the Cherry-Burst, looks like it was a one-off, and that's a shame as it is a BEAUTY. Heavens forbid but if my Black-Beauty were to get stolen, die in a fire etc etc...the 2017 'SG' Standard in Cherry-Burst would be at the top of the list to replace it.

I think the whole QC thing is a bit overblown. People that are unhappy squeal pretty loudly and honestly I see a lot of complaints over minor stuff or stuff that a good setup takes care of. In the last 4 years I've bought a 2012 SG, a 2014 339 and a 2016 LP Trad. All of them fantastic guitars. My only issue was the LP needed a little filing on the nut. A bit of a nuisance perhaps but nothing to carry on about and it's a glorious machine now. Point being is that little stuff happens to almost every guitar regardless of manufacture. Don't let stupid stuff throw you off

the QC issues are really hit and miss.

I have a 2012 with a baked maple fret board, which made the traditionalist wail in angst and agony, turns out, it's great. (I just got done a quick spin with it after a string change)

That Guitar rocks.. So you really never know.

your best angle is to try one before purchase, if possible.. or if not, go to some place with a real good return policy on line (Sweetwater has never done anything but top notch sales and post sales support)

they make things right if sth goes south. this is where I got that SG, as well as a few other very fine Gibson Epiphone and Fender guitars.

You've got the same guitar I do. Awesome rock machine

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Cherry Burst SG Standard 2017 and I love it. It was and is perfect. I tried to sell it and buy a 2017 Traditional Les Paul. I used the LP for a week and it just didn’t speak to me. The SG just felt right and it spoke. I took the SG off Reverb and returned the LP. Couldn’t be happier with the SG.

I agree the ‘17 SG Standard in Cherry Burst is amazing. It looks awesome and I am in love with the color. The Classic 57s really meld with this guitar.

I was considering an ‘18 SG but I just can’t justify spending another $1200 when I have what feels like the perfect guitsr already.

Archived