Gibson Brands Forums

Who has a back fence?

BluesKing777

I was watching a (house) renovation show from the USA and they often have houses (in cities/suburbs) with no fences between the next door house, and one last night in middle America somewhere and the house had a fence on once side only.

It just looks bizarre! They always have a fence here - must be more untrustworthy!

So, who has a fence all round, halfway, or..electric fence underground, which I have heard is popular in Maryland where a friend lives?

BluesKing777.

State forest on two sides of my property. Neighbors’ woods on the other two sides and their houses are several hundred feet away. I’m actually “landlocked” with no road frontage and a private right of way for access. No fences anywhere. :) But this is a sparsely populated rural area and I think 40% of the land in my little town is actually state forest.

We only have a small portion of the yard fenced in behind the house to serve as a bathroom for the dog when nobody wants to go out with him. But we have a pretty good sized yard loaded with very old Oak trees so we are fairly well screened and nobody is right on top of us

Tall wooden fence across the back, wrapping around the corners. Heavy tropical plantings and hedges complete the privacy in back and on sides. In front, we until recently had a 10' high hedge, with only two driveway openings cut in it. That front hedge has now been cut to 5 feet, as my wife wanted to be able to see her house from the street. No one even knew we were back there before. We live in town, but can't see neighbors from behind our fences and hedges, until now. And they can't see us.

I'm feeling somewhat exposed.

We are privacy freaks.

I'm fenced in with cedar and redwood.....all around my little castlemsp_thumbup.gif

10533757_10203423964191710_6421620134357756478_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=71fe9581a56d428283a527ccb9815cea&oe=5B9E1A09

Thanks Vaca!

I think you have raised the tone (ha ha) of my thread by adding a photo. Do we need to up the ante? Fence photos? (though I suppose some would not want pics for security reasons?)

But out comes the camera because I just got a new fence on the side with the people with a new pool.....

Hmmm, yours is cedar and redwood - looks nice.

You could make some nice guitar tops for fingerpickers!

OK, Vaca's fault....fence photos....

New fence on new pool owner's side - they paid! A bit bare with all my shrubbery pulled down....

EOBsKrhh.jpg

Looks ok through my apple tree (winter here, no leaves):

lWAW6Quh.jpg

Fence builder left all his mess behind, including nails for his nail gun.

RBg7EVJh.jpg

And....just when it got quiet here again, a massive windy storm came through and these shrubs were lying on the grass in the morning...before the chain saw arrived.

ikWLbvPh.jpg

On the other side, the house is about 4 feet from my fence and the dude would walk up and down and up and down while we sat there having a cup. So we barricaded him out! Might need a pot in front of it....lemon tree? orange?

OhvRbpoh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Yep. A fence. To keep out the riffraff. Joe Walsh, Ringo Starr and their wives and who knows who else might want to wander in here and smudge up my guitars. [cool]

1CHd8y1.jpg

Great shot!

One of these setups might keep Joe out, though maybe not :rolleyes: :

https://dogsrecommend.com/best-invisible-dog-fence/

This must be the sort of electric fences on the show I was talking about!

I see. <_<

BluesKing777.

Fence all around the back yard. I have 2 lots so it's a huge back yard.

Border Security is enforced with a 90 pound Catahoula and his girlfriend and I assure you security is enforced.... Many critters have lost their lives trying to breach the border.

Not to state the obvious, but good fences make good neighbors and stuff.

Most would agree that without a fence / wall, you indeed have no border.

And yet......

Fence (chain link on south side) to avoid next door apartment renters turning our backyard into theirs, continuing on west and east, solid 6 foot fence on north backyard. Huge area of backyard thus available for the dogs. Will chat over the chain link w/longterm renter next door, also a dog person, though we dare not discuss politics😂

I got a nice tall 'spite' fence between me and my neighbor - they put it in because of a feud before we got here, but I appreciate the separation. We've also got an invisible dog fence around the whole yard. Works good with one dog, not so much with the other

no fence,, woods at the back, thick brush growth on one side, elderly neighbor next door who I rarely even see. we have a large deck off he back of the house, we live in one of the higher parts of town, it's like a huge tree house.

I can’t for the life of me imagine living on this little piece of land without a fence to hold back the Neanderthals! Many years ago, I rented a hippy shack in the hills with quite a few acres and just a wire fence (with large holes in it), and forest and all that.....and my car got stolen, stuff from the house and even food from the fridge!

Containment/fortification is a bit of an illusion - a couple of the kids next door can somersault over my fence without flinching. And one day I had my aircon on the roof serviced and the guy just climbed up my wall in his plain old running shoes, straight up like spiderman, no ladder, and happily down into ‘the Fort’ out back when he wanted! I was dumbfounded!

BluesKing777.

We have neighbors to the sides, as well as straight in front of us in our back yard. However, privacy is protected by dense bushes and tress to the sides, and by a good ol' Swedish granit rock formation to the front. So nature does it all for us. I hate to work on house/garden, so being without a fence to paint and maintain is perfect. Gives more free time for guitars!

Lars

I can’t for the life of me imagine living on this little piece of land without a fence to hold back the Neanderthals!

Containment/fortification is a bit of an illusion

BluesKing777.

You bet it is! My own kids would routinely climb over the fence, scale the over-hang, and climb into the bedroom windows on the 2nd floor ....and i never knew itmsp_crying.gif Your place is way too close to your snoopy neighbormsp_glare.gif

Containment/fortification is a bit of an illusion - a couple of the kids next door can somersault over my fence without flinching. And one day I had my aircon on the roof serviced and the guy just climbed up my wall in his plain old running shoes, straight up like spiderman, no ladder, and happily down into ‘the Fort’ out back when he wanted! I was dumbfounded!

BluesKing777.

That's all that parkour stuff. I was thinking of getting into it, then I remembered I don't bounce like I used to :)

Yes, we have a back fence. We can watch the wildlife through it, but they can't get in to eat the landscaping.

iqzzY7Dl.jpg

Back in New York, we used to have to angle the fence top outward with wire string across keep the white tails out. If not they could clear the thing with little problem.

I have fence surrounding the back yard but I have a pool and by law its got to be fenced. Its not the same fence all the way around though. In some areas the neighbors put their own up, on another side I shared the cost and in some areas I paid the full cost. I have enough trees and shrubs to hide most of it so you don't really notice the different styles. Most of it is cedar - just the height varies a bit. On the side where I shared the cost, we (jointly) put a gate in the fence so we can short-cut over to my neighbor's house.

The deer are welcome in my yard - and there are a lot of them. The more deer, the less I have to mow. :)

deer.jpg

Also lots of wild turkeys and other fauna.

turkey.jpg

I built a little pretend theater for my granddaughter out in the woods, a few minutes from the house down a narrow winding trail. We had a lot of fun doing a "family show" and video shoot there last summer, and will do a more ambitious one this summer. My daughter majored in Musical Theatre, son in law is a musician/actor and my 8 year old granddaughter just starred in "Annie". So I think of this as a "playground" for my musical family!

Also a fun place to practice guitar all by myself. :)

stage2018.jpg

I built a little pretend theater for my granddaughter out in the woods, a few minutes from the house down a narrow winding trail. We had a lot of fun doing a "family show" and video shoot there last summer, and will do a more ambitious one this summer. My daughter majored in Musical Theatre, son in law is a musician/actor and my 8 year old granddaughter just starred in "Annie". So I think of this as a "playground" for my musical family!

Also a fun place to practice guitar all by myself. :)

stage2018.jpg

That is awesome - I hope you get plenty of opportunity to put it to use! Maybe a monthly talent show through the warmer months.

You know, I wasn't going to mention this....but I like a nice fence all around since the day I woke up to find....err...guitars growing or appearing in my garden overnight!

I would hear some strange noises and in the morning....there's a.......a guitar!

True! [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

GN6R3Coh.jpg

gMcg7Vnh.jpg

cRbzPobh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived