Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird or LP?

Chris1547

Hey all!

I need some help on an upcoming purchase. I have been playing a crappy mim Strat for sometime now and now that my playing has improved, I’m looking to purchase a Gibson. I have my two choices narrowed down to either a used Firedbird V Traditional or a used Les Paul 50’s tribute.

There are very few guitar stores where I live and they have very limited selections. So, actually trying either out is going to be pretty much impossible. It’s certainly not preferable but I’m going to almost have to buy something aight unseen and go from there.

I play mostly late 60’s-70’s classic rock with a strong leaning to Southern Rock. So, tone wise, either will certainly fit the bill.

I’m a big guy 6’7” with long fingers.

I just got a plexi clone so it’s dying for a Gibson to be plugged into it!!

Please fire away!

Genre wise I tend to play similar music to what you play. Southern rock and Skynyrd specifically is why I started playing guitar in the first place. I really like Allen Collins so I always wanted a firebird. So I got one. I always wanted a LP so I got one as well. The two are very different. The offset body on the firebird takes some getting used to. Not like it will take years to do so but you will notice it at first. The neck profile is much flatter on a firebird compared to the LP. Access to higher frets is better on a firebird. I personally like the sound of mini humbuckers. They are very articulate and yet still handle dirt well. I love my firebird. Looks, sound, playability, tone, etc. All that being said everytime I go back to a LP I realize just how damn impressive that model is and it's no wonder so many pro's use them. They just feel right. You sacrifice a little with an LP like high fret access. You can get there it just requires an alternate hand position to play up there. Watch Gary Rossington. He'll play up there some time and you can really see the way he alters his hand.

To wrap up, I think either will satisfy what your looking for so you can't go wrong either way but they are very different animals. Post some pics when you snag one.

Tough to say which one plays easier or better. Because I play many skynyrd songs (and other bands too) I cover multiple players parts / solos. For instance I like the LP for Saturday night special & don't ask me no questions but find an LP to difficult to navigate the solo for I ain't the one, so I use a firebird or explorer for that one. I really like firebirds but for versatility and sound it's hard to beat a LP. I guess that's why I have both. Haha! Hands down though, the firebird has to be the sexiest guitar ever made.

You might want to find out if the Mini-Humbucker is the old 'FIREBIRD' Mini-Humbucker or the new one GIBSON USA is putting on the new 'SG' Special's as I hear the new one on the 'SG' Special is different from the old Mini-Hummer and it is really HOT ! I have a 'FIREBIRD' Mini-Humbucker on an old 'NIGHTHAWK' and it is the saving grace of that Guitar, that Mini-HBer P-Up gives the Guitar a clarity that is tough to beat...I almost never use the 'M'-series Humbucker on the Bridge (and when I do it is w/the Mini-Hummer P-Up, the 2 together sound pretty BAD-A$$...I must say!) or the NSX Single-Coil in the Middle position, if it weren't for that 'Firebird' Mini-Humbucker my 'NIGHTHAWK' would be really lame....

It really is too bad that Brick and Mortar stores are no longer stockin a lot of Guitars. I've had to buy several guitars in the last year sight unseen, and after hearing some of the horror stories, guess I was pretty lucky! I got no clunkers. I did send one back, which was a hassle, re-packing and boxing, but the 'SG' HP I got had impossible Neck-Divitis and was nearly un-playable for me..... so back it went.

I stayed away from the 2018 'FIREBIRD' because of the Mini-Humbuckers, not knowin which one's were on it... and the 2018 FIREBIRD is really sharp looking Guitar (GIBSON is callin' it the 'BLACKBIRD'). ! I just couldn't get past the Mini's and the F-Bird Studio was out-of-the-question as it doesn't have the raised center-block so its really not even a real FIREBIRD (IMO). As I already have a Les Paul Standard (itssa BEAST,Li'l too heavy too as it cuts off the blood circulation in my arm after an hour). I went with a 2018 EXPLORER 'ELITE' and I'm really glad I did. It is completely BAD-***, and a real pleasure to play....It's the first EXPLORER I have ever played and I bought it sight un-seen, complete roll of the dice...it worked out. So much so, I dont want to put that Guitar down.

Did you consider an EXPLORER ? its not a bad alternative. I think Stevie Gaines played an 'EXPLORER' too, didn't he?

Both the birds I’m looking at on reverb are early 2000 models. One sports Lollar pickups and the other sports SD Antiquities.

Collins played an explorer in the later LS years. They are a sweet looking guitar but it would have to be A 58 Korina for me and I ain’t got that deeper of pockets.

You said you're 6' 7" so a Les Paul will be too tiny for you.

Go for the Firebird, you'll be glad you did.

That’s what I’m saying!!! My picking buddy has an SG and that things looks and feels like a child’s guitar on me lol

That’s what I’m saying!!! My picking buddy has an SG and that things looks and feels like a child’s guitar on me lol

I'm 6'6" tall. I currently own two Gibson LPs, 2 SGs, an ES-335 and two "Super-Strat" style Ltd guitars (a six string and a seven string) and two long-scale basses. I also owned a Gibson Firebird VII that I bought used and eventually sold when I needed to upgrade my bass rig. The Firebird VII and the ES-335 are/were more comfortable due to their larger/longer body style. The only issue I had with the Firebird was the third/middle pickup and the Lyre vibrola that I never could get used to. But you won't have that issue with the Firebird V.

Don't get me wrong. I love both of my LPs and SGs, but if I had to choose either/or, I would probably lean toward the Firebird.

YMMV.

That's what I'm saying!!! My picking buddy has an SG and that things looks and feels like a child's guitar on me lol

Hmm... You may want to look at Gibson's with the longer 25.5" scale neck like Night Hawks or Blues Hawks, and a few others I think "some" Firebird's and Explorer's had them. Also Gibson's with the 50's style C profile Fat Neck..

Tone and handling are very much a personal thing.....:blink:

For moi the Firebird always wins for it's original off-the-wall looks and beauty of construction....

LP's are somewhat ubiquitous.....but satisfy huge numbers of players and are an industry standard....

As mentioned, a Nighthawk is a wonderful thing....and if it is the 'great' 3 P/U version....can supply Firebird, LP and Strat/Tele tones in one superb package.....[thumbup]

Enjoy the chase...…[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Thanks for the replies!

This morning I pulled the trigger on a 2005 Firebird V with Lollar Alnico Firebird pickups RS Guitarworks CTS volume and tone pots from their vintage Firebird electronics kit and banjo tuners via reverb. It looks to be in very good condition.

I always wanted a Firebird and they seem to be somewhat rare for a production guitar whereas LP seem to be a dime a dozen availability wise.

I will keep you guys posted. My plexi is just begging for this Firebird lol

Thanks for the replies!

This morning I pulled the trigger on a 2005 Firebird V with Lollar Alnico Firebird pickups RS Guitarworks CTS volume and tone pots from their vintage Firebird electronics kit and banjo tuners via reverb. It looks to be in very good condition.

I always wanted a Firebird and they seem to be somewhat rare for a production guitar whereas LP seem to be a dime a dozen availability wise.

I will keep you guys posted. My plexi is just begging for this Firebird lol

Suuuweeet! Let us know how it turns out. I think you would have been pleased either way but a part of me was hoping you would go firebird.

You can't have it but here's my 2014 with the coveted(?) 120th anniversary inlay and the lack of nibs.

This is far and away my favorite electric.

xE5zcwb.jpg

3D9qfR2.jpg

Hey, I believe you. :msp_biggrin.gif I also have one of those things too It is, to myself, a wonder of wonders, actually, to memsp_smile.gifAnd yes, I do believe that it is, well, it is what it is, just a super nice and most very excellent electric guitar. I did change out the saddle things on it, for "graph -tech" ones. I like to use the thing with a slide, but,when doing that, myself, well I did pop the high E, too much, but those graphite saddles have greatly reduced that now. And, those things only changed the "tone" a very tiny amount (a little less Treble/"twang" now not really that noticeable, to anyone else but myself, actually). The thing might break the string a little more often, because of my slide playing "style" I guess eusa_think.gif "aggressive slide" lol, I guess that "style" really does set up those vibrations at the saddles "vertex point" a bit more than "traditional" form, a little. That has been my own personal experience, yes, yes it has msp_unsure.gifthe thing may even have a little more "sustain" with those things on it, now. I have also experienced a similar occurrence on the silver explorer, and, most likely will replace the saddle things on that too, eventually. Yes, I do like those saddle things, presently. Now, you know what I believe about that, them and those. The 120th anniversary Firebird has, to me, been...fun.. yes, the thing really has been fun, and continues to be so, for me. I believe that it will continue to be fun for quite a long time, also. Yes, I do believe that , fun smile.gif 1 more thing. I believe a FB would be a better fit for a "larger"/taller person, maybe....have fun

83UETUS.jpg?2

peace smile.gif

I like Les Pauls, also. very a lot.. and Stratocaster things too (sorry Gibson/Epiphone) I guess that I really like 99.999% of all the guitars that I have had the pleasure to plunk and bang on smile.gif It is kind of a conundrum, to myself..as,both styles of electric guitar things are just plain great, indeed cool.gif yes they most certainly are and, to me electric guitars and related stuff has been, for myself most very fun things to take time with smile.gif. Why do I like guitars as much as I do ? I do not believe I am the only one that also thinks that way about guitars, amplifiers and sound effect things., no, I do not believe I am alone smile.gifThat is kind of conundrum, to me, also. I will state this, also : those that enjoy electric guitars, amplifiers and sound effect thing, presently, and at this point in time, well, we really do exist, now, at very most excellent time, now, to learn, use and just be kind of a bit creative with everything that allows one to create noise and their own "music", even if that type of "noise" one may produce, by using those things,is seemingly infinite. All the available sound pedal things just add to the fun and guitar type of creativity that you, and I like, maybe, I guess. Guitars are only half of what I do enjoy , I kind of like making noises that no one has ever heard, or experienced., with a "chain" of multiple sound effect things, effect pedals smile.gifAs well as learning and maybe actually performing things from the "groups" and individual things you might like from whatever or whomever you might like to copy, "cover", or learn to play, that may give you a sense of self accomplishment,. That,to me, is very good, to me,, and, I guess that is what most everyone does with their instruments and effect things. But, I also do enjoy just experimenting with pedal things, and not trying to learn anything, by anyone, sometimes. Maybe those things and what I do with them compensates for my lack of true guitar accomplishment. .I don't really believe that is a...bad... thing, too much. If something makes yourself pick up your guitar, to "experiment", to me, that is an OK thing to do. That is what you are supposed to do with those thing. right ? I kind of wish Gibson/Epiphone would produce their own, large amount, of effect pedal things. Doing that wouldn't be any worse than what they have done, relatively recently. I don't believe, by getting into making a diverse array of effects pedals would be any worse of a thing for them to do, than any of the other things they have done, recently, and, I also believe that they would actually sell and be something anyone who likes Gibson/Epiphone,would purchase. I'm not an economist or a fortune teller, but, I do believe the consumer, as well as the manufacturer would both make out, if, in fact, that was actually done. Ok , off the soap box msp_blushing.gif

peace smile.gif

Different beasts.

Plus the 50s Tribute has the baseball neck. Me, I can't play that neck profile, and my hands Åre by no means small. I was actually considering one once... Until I played it.

Please note that I'm only talking comfort here. My 2017 Tribute with the 60s neck profile is so good it's almost scary.

Great to hear you're happy with the Firebird!

Tonewise, I've always found Firebirds close to Vs.

Skip to 02:30 for Slash's Firebird solo on "I ain't no nice guy (after all)". And the anmouncement from Lemmy - "hey - Slasher!!"

I remember the European Headbanger's Ball on MTV interviewed Lemmy, and Vanessa sand, I just saw Slash the other week, and he told me to tell you he was honoured to play lead guitar on that son... “

Lemmy cuts in, very loudly actually: "WELL, TELL HIM... No, tell him I was honoured to have him - he's an EXCELLENT man!"

Lemmy did all right, but it chafes me that the company as such...

Put it this way, it's not like they weren't hard to catch live.

I had the good, great fortune to see them with both Phil and Wurzel back in the day. It was friiiiiicken awesome.

Phil did a wonderful job on his own, too.

Tonewise, I've always found Firebirds close to Vs.

Skip to 02:30 for Slash's Firebird solo on "I ain't no nice guy (after all)". And the anmouncement from Lemmy - "hey - Slasher!!"

I remember the European Headbanger's Ball on MTV interviewed Lemmy, and Vanessa sand, I just saw Slash the other week, and he told me to tell you he was honoured to play lead guitar on that son... “

Lemmy cuts in, very loudly actually: "WELL, TELL HIM... No, tell him I was honoured to have him - he's an EXCELLENT man!"

Lemmy did all right, but it chafes me that the company as such...

Put it this way, it's not like they werehard to catch live.

I had the good, great fortune to see them with both Phil and Wurzel back in the day. It was friiiiiicken awesome.

Phil did a wonderful job on his own, too.

Archived