Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Mossman Flint Hills

RhythmDr.

First off, I'm a moron. I accidentally posted this exact same topic in the General discussion forum. Totally meant to post it here. So I will re-post here since I couldn't find a way to migrate that topic to this acoustic forum. That said...

The day has arrived! I've been watching Mossman's off/on over the last 10 years or so. I've always sorta wanted an early 70s model with Rosewood b/s. Anyways, long story short... the right one, at the right price, at the right time just happened to me in the last week and today she finally arrived. It's a 1973 Flint Hills model which has the sitka spruce top and EI rosewood b/s.

I bought it online without the advantage of playing it first, which is always a risk with online purchases but one I'm willing to take and have taken several times. I'm batting over 500, I know that much... meaning I've liked/kept more than I've returned/sold.

Anyhow, she sounds really nice. The most balanced guitar I own for sure. When strumming a nice open chord like G, E, C etc... you can hear every note, every string CRYSTAL clear. Thing is I LOVE the bassy tone the most and my main player is a Gibson Advanced Jumbo that I've had for 14 years or so, which means she's been trained and lathered into the tone I covet and create. The AJ is truly my soul mate [love] [love] . That said, I'm not giving up on this Mossman quite yet. Last owner was a finger picker, I'm a thumping flat picker. I think she'll open up nicely... the guitar!! Perverts. So I'm gonna play this thing a ton over the next few weeks/months. I'm also not sure what strings are on this but I know they're not what I use. I'm very selective and only play John Pearse PB medium gauge.

So "pictures!" you say? I'll be honest, I cherry picked these from the seller. Why do all that work again when these are only a week old? Right!? Work smarter, not harder.

Mossman FH 1973

Congrats!

They are stunning guitars. I have had two Mossmans in the house during the years I was living in Kansas where they remain a sentimental favorite. Beautiful instruments and an absolute bargain (at least at the time). Both were pre-fire guitars with one suffering from the Agony of De' Feet.

This thing is definitely opening up. I have a gig upcoming and it's my first in 5+ years. We'll be playing covers and so today I learned Gold Dust Woman (Fleetwood Mac) and recorded it shortly after on my iPhone and of course, playing the Mossman. I think it sounds really nice today, much better than yesterday to my ears and I think I'm just gonna keep working her in. Anyways, I just uploaded my recording, take a listen and let me know what you think. Honestly, the iPhone captured the tone extremely well. I'm very surprised by the output.

Gold Dust Woman:

This thing is definitely opening up. I have a gig upcoming and it's my first in 5+ years. We'll be playing covers and so today I learned Gold Dust Woman (Fleetwood Mac) and recorded it shortly after on my iPhone and of course, playing the Mossman. I think it sounds really nice today, much better than yesterday to my ears and I think I'm just gonna keep working her in. Anyways, I just uploaded my recording, take a listen and let me know what you think. Honestly, the iPhone captured the tone extremely well. I'm very surprised by the output.

Gold Dust Woman:

That’s a Mossman right there! Unmistakeable tone. Wonderful!

I agree about iPhone recordings, a couple of years ago i was routining a song and wanted to listen back to see if it was in the right key etc, so threw my iPhone in my guitar case with voice memos running and recorded it. It sounded so good that I mastered it, put it out as a single and it ended up being my most popular solo single out of everything I’ve released over 20yrs and 10 albums.

If you listen to the last Billy Bragg album, I recorded the choir and crowd chant parts at the end of ‘Saffiyah Smiles’ on an iPhone, too. We were just in the moment and wanted to capture it. The mic and audio compression in the iPhone (particularly the 5S) is exceptIonally crisp and transparent.

Archived