Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing Gibson Guitar’s 2019 Line

Leonard McCoy

I like the natural finished flying v and explorer. Two years in a row now where the firebird has grover tuners on them. I think that's a miss. Wonder why they aren't using the sternberg's anymore. It will be interesting to see what the pricing looks like when they finally hit the market.

Out of 7 'SG's I counted: 2 had no pick-guard, 4 had the large pick-guards and only one had the original '61 Angel-Wing pick-guard. I do not get it, why GIBSON ever changed/did away with the smaller Angel-Wing pick-guard on the 'SG'......nothin' else, no PG or large PG, looks as good on the 'SG', IMO, as the Angel-Wing pick-guard.

The one EXPLORER, the 2nd one with the black pick-guard looked like it was missing a Volume Control and has the toggle switch where the 2nd Volume Control would be......??

I wish GIBSON USA would make a FIREBIRD with Hum-Bucker's & raised Center-Block...... I can only wish.

Out of 7 'SG's I counted: 2 had no pick-guard, 4 had the large pick-guards and only one had the original '61 Angel-Wing pick-guard. I do not get it, why GIBSON ever changed/did away with the smaller Angel-Wing pick-guard on the 'SG'......nothin' else, no PG or large PG, looks as good on the 'SG', IMO, as the Angel-Wing pick-guard.

The one EXPLORER, the 2nd one with the black pick-guard looked like it was missing a Volume Control and has the toggle switch where the 2nd Volume Control would be......??

I wish GIBSON USA would make a FIREBIRD with Hum-Bucker's & raised Center-Block...... I can only wish.

I wonder if those are a studio version of the v and explorer. One volume, on tone, and selector switch. I know that last firebird is a studio so maybe they have them grouped together. I interested to see the pricing for the new line.

A few years back USA did have a three pickup (full size humbuckers) firebird VII in Pelham blue that had the traditional neck through & wings design. A very nice looking guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

Always been a fan of the "half-face" pick guard on SGs. If I've ever bought an SG that came without a pick guard, first thing I do is send off a template to have one custom-made for it!

Archived