Gibson Brands Forums

Brazilian AJ with Extra Bling

Bozz

I ran across this guitar on Greg Boyd's website and thought it worthy of sharing here. I am in no way affiliated with Mr. Boyd or his business. I bought a great Southern Jumbo from him a while back and had a first rate experience. I have been loosely keeping track of his inventory since that time. I thought this one might be an interesting guitar for the folks here on this forum to check out. It's a unique AJ with high end appointments, and a label that's signed by a couple of gentlemen that played a major role in bringing Gibson Acoustic back from the Norlin neverland. It's a bit out of my price range, but it might be a good investment for any serious collector of Gibsons.

https://gregboyd.com/product/1993-gibson-handmade-aj-brazilian-guitar/

The Ren & Walker signed label is definitely cool. But I agree with with J45nick. Even if I was inclined to spend that kind of scratch I would pass. If nothing else I am not a fan of the abalone bling. And the upcharge for the Braz rosewood alone would pay for that maple body Banner J-45 I ran across a while back.

I would seriously consider selling my three to come up with half of what it would take to get this one! I've got Aba-bling on my J45Ck and I think it's tasteful. I prefer it to MoP, and a little goes a long way. The rosette is very nice. Classic guitars often have fancy rosettes - made of inlaid wood of different types.

I guess the real question is - should this guitar be played or put on a pedestal? Will probably wind up somewhere very close to the latter, glassed in to be admired by a collector in a museum quality cabinet.

Maybe I'll be happier thumping away on the 3 players I've got !

I have a 2003 Br/Adi that I bought from Music Machine back in 2004. It was part of what they called their "Stinger" series. They commissioned Gibson to build a series of electric with Brazilian fretboards and if my memory serves me correct, four acoustics that were Adi over all Brazilian. The four I think we're a J45, SJ, AJ and Humingbird. My AJ does not have all the bling of this one, pretty much standard appointments. I also did not pay near that much for it thankfully. From time to time I read with interest as people debate whether Brazlian is worth the cost or makes any difference. All of that is subjective of course and no opinions are wrong. I can tell you this tho, if you ever play one of these you will never forget it!

Beautiful guitar, but that's a lot of money for one guitar. I can see a collector buying one and/or someone who can re-sell it for a profit...... That price is approaching almost 3 times what you'd pay for a regular AJ. Is it going to sound $7000 better? Everyone buys what they want and can afford, but I use all of my guitars at gigs and festivals and I often let friends play them and I'd likely avoid taking that out of the house. But, it is a good-looking beast. [thumbup]

Archived