Gibson Brands Forums

J-15

QuestionMark

I have yet to figure out who will inherit mine since none of my kids are interested in guitars. I do believe my Granddaughter's husband does play a bit, will have to feel him out though. If not, I may just have to sell all five or six, seriously thinking about a strat to go with the two teles.

I had a great J15, sold it and miss it...I’ll own another one day. I sold mine to buy a ‘41 Reissue SJ100, which was a lovely instrument but had to be sold when I had to buy a car last year. Thankfully car/guitar balance is now on an even keel, although the SJ100 has stayed gone, sadly.

There seem to be a lot excellent sounding J-15s out there.

Purchased mine online before they were available in stores, because I was very curious about the walnut body. It's from one of the earliest runs, dating to 1/2/14. For some reason, this natural finish example carries a Custom Shop logo on the back of the headstock (the initial run of sunburst J-15s also had a CS logo). To my ears, the sound on this one is more like maple than any of the other traditional tonewoods. Very full & punchy from string to string.

Been doing a few upgrades to it in the past week, and it's really hard to put down!

I’m not sure what you mean ?

Aren’t they all the same finish ?

There’s a sunburst available in the US, I spied one in Colorado last week. Pretty sure they’re not in the UK (yet) though.

The one I played was labeled a walnut-burst finish. It was not a tobacco-burst finish. More like what is usually called a honey burst finish, though it was labeled a walnut-burst finish. I found it stunning. And, that’s besides the stunning way it sounded.

Wait, I need to get a grip. Only 3-4 weeks before my faded-cherry sunburst J-45 is back from repair.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Wait, I need to get a grip. Only 3-4 weeks before my faded-cherry sunburst J-45 is back from repair.

Yes, but a stellar guitar only exists where & when you find it.

I've played some fairly mediocre J-15s in stores, but again, the good ones sound really good. I would say what impresses me the most about mine is the clarity of the note separation from top to bottom.

As someone who fingerpicks almost exclusively, that characteristic is golden.

I have yet to figure out who will inherit mine since none of my kids are interested in guitars. I do believe my Granddaughter's husband does play a bit, will have to feel him out though. If not, I may just have to sell all five or six, seriously thinking about a strat to go with the two teles.

That back is stunning. I had a J-15 for a hot minute and it had a really nice back on it. It looked like a guys face with a beard.

I have a 2015 J-15, and the way it has opened up is stunning. Full bass, clear and separate mids & highs. It is an amazing guitar. It sounds better than Hog or Rosewood to my ears. Clearly one of the finest guitars Gibson has made.

I'm note sure why the J-15 doesn't get more respect? Is it because the exotic woods from overseas have more pizazz? " prophet is without honor in his own country?"

Every once in a while I think about getting an axe"new" voice....but then I strum the J-15 and those thoughts go away.

My Walnut J-45 has become my second favorite guitar ever.

The tone is totally different than my Rosewood, action is fast and it's loud and proud.

Really nice guitar.

I had a 2017 J15 for about a year and just sold it to buy a J35 Reissue. I loved the tone of the J15, but wanted/needed a fuller neck profile. And truth be told, I was just a bit restless for a new guitar. I am looking forward to finding the right string and pin combination.

Man, I LOVE that maple neck. It's faster than snot.

And, walnut is an awesome tone wood, I have a Walnut SG that sounds like no other guitar on the Planet.

I'm a huge fan of the J-15 and consider it the Modern Workhorse because of it's price. J-45's have simply gotten too expensive for many working giggers to take to clubs/coffee houses.

Archived