Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special vs, Les Paul Jr. Special

Vestapol

I'm on the lookout for a Gibson Les Paul TV Special with P90s. I'm finding a lot of Gibson Les Paul Jr. Specials with two P90s. What's the difference between these two?

Thanks,

I'm on the lookout for a Gibson Les Paul TV Special with P90s. I'm finding a lot of Gibson Les Paul Jr. Specials with two P90s. What's the difference between these two?

Thanks,

Les Paul TV's were originally based on a Junior, with 1 P-90 or later as a Special with 2 P-90's, available as double cuts and at times single cuts. A Les Paul TV uses a translucent color that is intended to provide good contrast on television, the TV Yellow would show up as white on B&W TV and would not glare like white in the early 50's. There has also been TV White, TV Silver and currently TV Black to name a few. As I have been told the first Les Paul TV's were developed so Les Paul would be more visually compatible on his TV performances that sometimes included Mary Ford.

LPSPDCPSL11246_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

The 2018 the Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cut in TV Black in the previous post and the TV Yellow Below. These 2 models have some minor hardware differences and the one below has old style Gibson calligraphy, basically LP Special DC's available in TV colors. The original LP TV's had Les Paul TV on the Headstock and some re-issues.

LPSDH18TVNH1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

Les Paul TV Model headstock.

01698_hs.jpg

Gibson Les Paul TV Model, 59 I think..

59_lptvjr2_1.jpg

A 2005 LH Gibson Les Paul TV Model..

UcFMcVN.jpg

You can get a Les Paul Special with 2 pickups or a Les Paul Junior with 1 Pickup in TV colors. But only a Les Paul TV has "Les Paul TV Model" on the headstock...

Archived