Gibson Brands Forums

Going to see The Stones for FIRST time on Wednesday ..

EuroAussie

Well, enjoy the night, EA!

Now a flashback for you all...... EA's old hometown....

Ha ha ha........BK777......17 years old...ha ha...ruled the world, sort of.....knew everything! Ha Ha.

Sleepy little Adelaide, Australia, sometimes called 'The City Of Churches' and not enough money or interest for most rock bands to even stop there!

And look out, the Sons of Satan are coming to town and little Adelaide didn't want them...Rolling Stones live at Memorial Drive Stadium, Adelaide, a sort of tennis stadium stuck to the back of Adelaide Oval football/cricket ground.

Now BK777 had not one cent to buy a ticket but a group of dudes I knew were going to 'hang out' outside the concert for the 'vibes' and I got a ride with somebody, no idea now.

So, see the link to the newspaper article below for details, but I was standing outside looking in through a chainlink fence with covers so we couldn't see and then a riot started and next thing a group of guys near me, and ME, ran in and got a spot near the stage as the band were playing: 'I got the lumps in my throat...' WAHOOOOOO< look at this, I'm IN!!!!! and contrary to the report in the article below, there was security - Bob Jones Security - all karate guys in black t-shirt and pants who did concert security everywhere plus a whole troup of beefy Aussie lifesavers sporting an iron bar each....

Saw the whole show, but the most disappointing thing was the next night and 2nd gig and the riot police were everywhere, barbed wire like the frontier of a war film.... and potential gate crashers were herded off to a track by the river......could hear it all but......

AND I think the crowd numbers reported in the article are out by an extra zero!

https://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/the-rolling-stones-at-memorial-drive-in-1973-a-riotous-good-time-for-adelaide-fans/news-story/86cbd32bb855ccee9256ae5a89ba0860

BluesKing777.

Ha ha ha........BK777......17 years old...ha ha...ruled the world, sort of.....knew everything! Ha Ha.

Sleepy little Adelaide, Australia, sometimes called 'The City Of Churches' and not enough money or interest for most rock bands to even stop there!

And look out, the Sons of Satan are coming to town and little Adelaide didn't want them...Rolling Stones live at Memorial Drive Stadium, Adelaide, a sort of tennis stadium stuck to the back of Adelaide Oval football/cricket ground.

Now BK777 had not one cent to buy a ticket but a group of dudes I knew were going to 'hang out' outside the concert for the 'vibes' and I got a ride with somebody, no idea now.

So, see the link to the newspaper article below for details, but I was standing outside looking in through a chainlink fence with covers so we couldn't see and then a riot started and next thing a group of guys near me, and ME, ran in and got a spot near the stage as the band were playing: 'I got the lumps in my throat...' WAHOOOOOO< look at this, I'm IN!!!!! and contrary to the report in the article below, there was security - Bob Jones Security - all karate guys in black t-shirt and pants who did concert security everywhere plus a whole troup of beefy Aussie lifesavers sporting an iron bar each....

Saw the whole show, but the most disappointing thing was the next night and 2nd gig and the riot police were everywhere, barbed wire like the frontier of a war film.... and potential gate crashers were herded off to a track by the river......could hear it all but......

https://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/the-rolling-stones-at-memorial-drive-in-1973-a-riotous-good-time-for-adelaide-fans/news-story/86cbd32bb855ccee9256ae5a89ba0860

BluesKing777.

Bloody brilliant!

Bloody brilliant!

Hee Hee and a Haa Haa!

Because while I was looking up the information in the link above, I also looked up the other big concerts I went around the time of the Stones 73 - Yah and away and HEY! Chuck Berry!!!!!! His guitar pick, giant triangle thing landed on me when he dropped it! Annointed by the Guitar Gods!!!Also I saw Yes and many, many others (mentioned in the Stones article) but the article on Chuck is a slice of the times:

https://indaily.com.au/eat-drink-explore/wine/2017/03/23/ka-chinking-to-chuck-berry-teetotaller/

BluesKing777.

BluesKing777.

Awesome, was not aware of that. Although similar thing happened to my first ever concert, AC/DC in 1987 where they staged at Globe Derby Park, a horse trott stadium. The punters outside broke the fence down and an extra 10,000 walked through, i was near the front, could not hear them, especially after the 21 gun salute in For Those About To Rock.

Looking forward to tonite, stinking hot, gonna be great, 80,000 expected ...

Awesome, was not aware of that. Although similar thing happened to my first ever concert, AC/DC in 1987 where they staged at Globe Derby Park, a horse trott stadium. The punters outside broke the fence down and an extra 10,000 walked through, i was near the front, could not hear them, especially after the 21 gun salute in For Those About To Rock.

Looking forward to tonite, stinking hot, gonna be great, 80,000 expected ...

Have a good night!

What do Praguians think is stinking hot/

Err,a friend's family when I was a teen ran trotters at Globe Derby and I have been there a few times - the son became a bookie at one stage....

Hey, speaking of Akka Dakka, I was at this concert New Year's Eve 1975 - check the handbill linked below - some of them didn't make it to the gig, and Renee tripped on Thorpie's guitar amp and pulled the power lead out!....Leading to long delays and Thorpie playing too long and AC/DC came on after the offical local poo poo's light's out time, played one or two songs and ...the lights were turned off! And Bon Scott led the crowd to wreck the place playing his bagpipes on Angus' shoulders..... (I had the opposite experience of the Stones concert a few years earlier when I walked in as the fences came down in a riot - this time I walked out the short cut to the car park with the fences downed in a riot!:

http://www.highwaytoacdc.com/index.php?articleid=1748

BluesKing777.

What a line up ! Chisel, Thorpe and AC/DC on NYE ... at Footy Park !

Have a good night!

What do Praguians think is stinking hot/

Err,a friend's family when I was a teen ran trotters at Globe Derby and I have been there a few times - the son became a bookie at one stage....

Hey, speaking of Akka Dakka, I was at this concert New Year's Eve 1975 - check the handbill linked below - some of them didn't make it to the gig, and Renee tripped on Thorpie's guitar amp and pulled the power lead out!....Leading to long delays and Thorpie playing too long and AC/DC came on after the offical local poo poo's light's out time, played one or two songs and ...the lights were turned off! And Bon Scott led the crowd to wreck the place playing his bagpipes on Angus' shoulders..... (I had the opposite experience of the Stones concert a few years earlier when I walked in as the fences came down in a riot - this time I walked out the short cut to the car park with the fences downed in a riot!:

http://www.highwaytoacdc.com/index.php?articleid=1748

What a line up ! Chisel, Thorpe and AC/DC - at Footy Park !

BluesKing777.

What a line up ! Chisel, Thorpe and AC/DC on NYE ... at Footy Park !

Almost 2 1/2 years before Chisel released ‘Khe Sahn’ in May 1978. First on support act, don’t remember them! Oh Dear! Don’t think some of them (LRB?) turned up.

But Thorpe and ACDC were brutal!

BluesKing777.

I gave up a freebie when I was but a poor young lad in 1982 for whatever reasons.

I had to cover for my boss 12(?) years later for the Steel Wheels tour. Seniority sucks when you're young.

Finally saw them in 97 for the 'Bridges tour. Lisa Fisher - now I'm breathing heavy. Cheryl Crow opened. I'm beginning to sweat.

2005 Bigger Bang tour was a fine show. My Wife and Son's first show. Through her work, including pre-show party at the same hotel the Stones were staying. A few folks saw Keef and Charlie. HUGE night.

2015 Zip Code Tour. Year 8 of an head injury situation and feeling down. Mrs PB waltzes on home from work with a surprise. Tickets for the show. Modern science let it happen, though was rough. Great night over-all and positives outweighed any pain in the memory banks.

The only thing I have to say negative about the shows I went to is the 2015 Zip code tour. Whoever is in charge of the sound board was NOT hearing properly. 1.6kHz to 2.5kHz was way too high. Easy to know when it's that one because it hurts. You can hear it early on the Gimme Shelter DVD, too, as well as some footage I've seen here and there. It was a good show, but the sound quality was awful.

So its done ....and yes, its only rock n' roll, but i loved it.

Really, one of the best shows Ive seen, in every respect. They played all the classics (except Angie) starting with Street Fighting Man and ending with Satisfaction.

They actually all looked great, everyone smiling, especially Ronnie, the sound was GREAT, sounded like we were in a small club, visuals were simple but breathtaking - no filter.

Very good and happy vibe on stage and in the audience.

And lots and lots of Gibsons, LP's, LP's juniors, Firebird, AND Mick got his early 60's Hummingbird out for You Cant Always Get and then Ronnie got his twin pickguard J-200 to jam with Keef.

Charlie is so important to that band, super cool, keeps that honky tonk groove.

Anyways, glad I went, one of the best rock n roll shows you will see, reminds me that age is all in your mind, its what you make of it.

Heres' a few pic ...

EA

KAOpvAY.jpg

Awesome and good for you! Really cool pics. Just wondering, did they play 'give me shelter'? Glad it lived up!

yep, in the encore, gimme shelter and satisfaction, but i was a bit disappointed with gimme shelter, its my fave stones song, but it kind of didnt have the same build up as on the original. but overall the musicianship was brilliant.

Good to hear it worked for you - anything else would have been sad.

And hep for providing pics of the first-wave Bird'n'Bird-man in action. The Board likes such things a lot, , , , , if U ask me.

Ouhh, , , 1 Q comes up : Did the guitar share nectar ?

Ouhh, , , 1 Q comes up : Did the guitar share nectar ?

Actually cant remember to be honest, he only played it for the intro then hand it to the roady ... but could an early 60's Bird not have sufficieint amount of nectar .. ?

Yes it will be great. Don't worry too much about securing a good spot. The Stones have a brilliant sound system and there will be plenty of big screens.

Do not know about that. During the Licks tour we were right up at the second stage. I swear Keef sweated on us.

Actually cant remember to be honest, he only played it for the intro then hand it to the roady ... but could an early 60's Bird not have sufficieint amount of nectar .. ?

Yes, probably - just wondered if the glaze did survive being blown up to sonic KING-size.

And if anyone should notice it might have been you.

Archived