Gibson Brands Forums

high E string... a little more ooomph

uncle fester

Hi all, I've got a J45 that I'm using D'addario EJ 16s (PB, 12 gage for hi E). I like everything about them except the hi E - I'd like to get a little more ooomph out of it (brighten it up a bit).

Anyone have recommendations to brighten that one string? Since I like the PB and 12 guage, thinking my option is to try another string manufacturer - but figured I'd ask if there was a trick I could try. Thank you all for any input. br - br (best regards - billroy)

Hi all, I've got a J45 that I'm using D'addario EJ 16s (PB, 12 gage for hi E). I like everything about them except the hi E - I'd like to get a little more ooomph out of it (brighten it up a bit).

Anyone have recommendations to brighten that one string? Since I like the PB and 12 guage, thinking my option is to try another string manufacturer - but figured I'd ask if there was a trick I could try. Thank you all for any input. br - br (best regards - billroy)

I need a little more drive on my high end strings to push the SJ200 so I use Elixir HD Light PBs. They are kind of like a blend of medium and light gauges. They have what amounts to a medium set for the top three strings and a light set for the bottom.

Gauges:

.013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053

Thanks all. I had gone from 13s to 12s for bendability, but this was before I had thouroughly interrogated the guitar. I think now that I've got a little more time in the saddle, I will try that go back to the 13s. thank you all!

I tend to use 12s on the flattops and 13s (with a 14 and 18 on the upper end) on the archtops and set the action on all guitars to the high side of normal. I stick with round wound strings mainly because of the age of my guitars and I just like the feel of them. There is only going to be just so much you an do to change a guitar's voice. I would think though that going to a thicker heavier gauge string would have the exact opposite effect of brightening sound. I would obviously avoid coated strings. PB strings wound on a hex core are probably the brightest sounding strings I can think of. I do know folks who swear a tusq saddle will brighten things up. Or you could just buy a Taylor which nobody has ever accused of not being a bright sounding guitar.

I used to use the next higher gauge on the E string on one guitar and it works very well.

I think that's the next way I'll go. I had a hi E 12 gage from a Kurt Mangan set I had. I put that on, a little different, but not the bang I was hoping for.

I usually set up the saddles up on my guitars a bit higher than usual on the e-string side, when I sand them or use an adjustable bridge, for exactly the mentioned purpose.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Interesting, on straight up acoustic, or to affect a pickup? Would take a trip to the luthier for that one tho.

Or you could just buy a Taylor which nobody has ever accused of not being a bright sounding guitar.

Oh my goodness, I'm looking for a little more bang out of my hi E, not a whole life reassessment action!

Thanks again all for the input - ...'brighter' might not be the right word, but I do want it to stand out more (to highlight it in those nice bendy bluesy type runs ;) My next go will be with 13s of the same (Daddario PBs) and see if that works, then maybe investigate the set up described by JJ above..

Interesting, on straight up acoustic, or to affect a pickup? Would take a trip to the luthier for that one though

Acoustic guitar. I carve/sand my own saddles. If none is used it’s quite easy. Tusq is a bit harder to carve/sand, but I have done those too.

Or, you could buy a ready made saddle or go to a luthier.

If you check the saddle in your guitar it may already be possible the treble E string side is lower than the bass E string side. If that is so, it may be as simple as taking the saddle out and flipping the way it is put in, so the treble E side is higher and the bass E side lower. I do a ton of melodic fingerpicking and like the treble E string to ring out a lot more than most players, so I always have the treble E string set up a bit higher than most guitars.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Acoustic guitar. I carve/sand my own saddles. If none is used it’s quite easy. Tusq is a bit harder to carve/sand, but I have done those too.

Or, you could buy a ready made saddle or go to a luthier.

If you check the saddle in your guitar it may already be possible the treble E string side is lower than the bass E string side. If that is so, it may be as simple as taking the saddle out and flipping the way it is put in, so the treble E side is higher and the bass E side lower. I do a ton of melodic fingerpicking and like the treble E string to ring out a lot more than most players, so I always have the treble E string set up a bit higher than most guitars.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thank you for the input, really appreciate it. Just making sure - you're not playing with the new guy to see what you can make him do? (humor)

Can’t you just hit it harder ?

I’m not totally convinced this is the guitars fault 😂

This is playing lead lines, feel I'm hitting it pretty good / hard, so believe a change would be warranted - but I always expect there's opportunity to improve my style.

If you have not had a setup done then I’d be doing that first

I have not had a set up done, this would be the first thing that would drive me to one. I love everything about the feel, string height etc... Would a desire (nit picky desire at that) warrant a full set up? I'm not against the effort, but the impression I've had on this forum with respect to set ups is if you don't need something, don't do something.

All thathe talk of mixing string gauges makes me wanna break down and cry for your souls

This is nothing, I have a real capability to spin my wheels!

Martin strings have the meatiest sounding treble strings, in my experience. Nice chunky clang to them. If Martins don’t liven up your trebles, I’d definitely try raising the action on that side of the saddle a little, as QM suggested, too low an action will make for a thin and plinky top end.

• 2 weeks later...

Brass saddle?

I was trying to impact just the hi e, i figure going the saddle route would impact the overall sound. anyways - i've put a set of martin PBs (12/54) on, and so far liking it... but i always love the sound of new stings, so need to give it a little bit to decide. I also just put martin PBs 13/56s on my guild. They seem a little more pliable than the d'addarios, so that would be my next thing to try on the J45 if I still want to try and get more oomph out of the hi e.

I also like the idea of raising the hi e just a little bit. after those i'll start playing with pins, maybe saddle and nut.

thanks all again for the input - rgds - billroy

Archived