Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton

uncle fester

With all this talk about the stones, I was thinking about who out of the old dudes who are still around that I'd want to see... looking to see an icon, but also a show worth seeing. (My father in law went to a BB King show not too long ago, but it was past the time BB should have been performing, and didn't leave a good impression).

Anway's - out of anybody still around that i would believe would give me the show I want, it's Clapton. The stones are the stones, steve tyler's kicking about, etc... and E - Aussie, I bet, hope and wish you have an awesome time, but seeing Clapton work his magic is something I believe would defy age and am still hoping to see.

My rambling thoughts only... Hey Hey. Anyone got anyone else they'd like to give a shout out to?

I would go and see Eric in an acoustic only night, other things like that.

But full on concerts in stadiums, you can have.

They have taken the fun out of everything, probably necessary because of a few people that always ruin everything, but now it is a 'sit down only' affair because of insurance, security and the general do-gooderness.

I use to go to everything I could, and a list of artists I have seen would take weeks to assemble, so I mean 'everything'!

The early 70s things were just plain wild! But then the police have to move in, security, governments, councils, banks...establishment......and they turn it in to a 'nice' run of the mill establishment 'function'.

I saw the changes happening, in particular I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn at a concert hall with more ushers and security than audience and we all had to sit...first time I had seen this......and some hillbillies lit a spliff and started dancing like they did at all concerts and all of them got bumped!

And I saw the incredible ZZ Top at a stadium, sensational, and we were allowed to stand in 'rows' near the front of the stage but the security at the ONE gate IN searched everyone single person's body, pockets and bags and it took HOURS to get inside!

So ...sit down..no smokes, no drinks etc, everything off at 11pm etc.....they don't really want you to go, do they? [unsure]

I did go to a couple of 'Day On The Green' events at wineries, but the cops had booze buses out the front to breath test EVERYONE! So being the designated driver, saw my first gig stone cold sober. :unsure: Wow, what a night.

BluesKing777.

I would go and see Eric in an acoustic only night, other things like that.

But full on concerts in stadiums, you can have.

They have taken the fun out of everything, probably necessary because of a few people that always ruin everything, but now it is a 'sit down only' affair because of insurance, security and the general do-gooderness.

I use to go to everything I could, and a list of artists I have seen would take weeks to assemble, so I mean 'everything'!

The early 70s things were just plain wild! But then the police have to move in, security, governments, councils, banks...establishment......and they turn it in to a 'nice' run of the mill establishment 'function'.

I saw the changes happening, in particular I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn at a concert hall with more ushers and security than audience and we all had to sit...first time I had seen this......and some hillbillies lit a spliff and started dancing like they did at all concerts and all of them got bumped!

And I saw the incredible ZZ Top at a stadium, sensational, and we were allowed to stand in 'rows' near the front of the stage but the security at the ONE gate IN searched everyone single person's body, pockets and bags and it took HOURS to get inside!

So ...sit down..no smokes, no drinks etc, everything off at 11pm etc.....they don't really want you to go, do they? [unsure]

I did go to a couple of 'Day On The Green' events at wineries, but the cops had booze buses out the front to breath test EVERYONE! So being the designated driver, saw my first gig stone cold sober. :unsure: Wow, what a night.

BluesKing777.

Eric Clapton, was thinking acoustic night... but kind of the idea of wanting to see him, is I believe he's evolved to that as well.

I saw SRV once as well, before I knew who he was enough to appreciate who I was seeing, but remember it being a party atmosphere, not overly policed. I think I'm done with stadium shows as well, (except the ones I'm playing)... actually, I'd go see Jinder at a stadium - if he promised to play 'there's no sunshine... '

I’m with BK

Not only have they taken the very essence of a rock concert away , but because there’s zero danger involved anymore it means that all the annoying people aren’t afraid to go . Sitting beside someone with their G&T is not conducive with a rock n roll show

Be better watching for a stones tribute bad and seeing them in a smaller venue

There’s a chance of a bit of attitude and fun

And it won’t cost you the extortion that they charge at the stadium gigs

I only see shows at small venues nowadays. Coworkers still go to monster concerts (U2 for example). I can’t imagine it.

My favorite shows have been Dave Bromberg, Lyle Lovett & John Hiatt, Lovett and REK, Tedeschi Trucks, and Tommy E.

I saw Isbell ar Red Rocks last year, but didn’t like as I much as I thought I would have. I think a big part of that was because extremely rude audience right by me. Almost got into fisticuffs- at my age. Ruined the vibe for me.

Yes. I got old and I don’t know how.

For some reason never heard Ol' Clapper (as Harrison called him on Dark Horse), but took the concert below in the cans the other day.

Straight and good. It made me learn I Shot the Sheriff, which is a gas to sing/play.

2018 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfgTAuibL-Q

Old geezers on the list would be Paul Simon, but it's too late now, besides he's insanely expensive.

Don't go for Macca anymore, , I don't dare. The bucket of Dylan-gigs is full too.

Saw Neil recently and would love to see him again with Promise of the Real. They do genuine essential Young great justice.

Actually also attended what probably was the second-last CSN-show ever. We'll see. .

And have fantastic tics for Croz w. band in a great hall this summer. An evening I really look forward to. Could very well turn out to be magnificent.

I also prefer smaller, more intimate shows, these days. I also saw Jason Isbell in Stockholm (playing the tune "Stockholm" of course) about two weeks ago, and I was absolutely blown away. I didn't know what to expect and left with an enormous smile on my face. I have never been to a concert with such pristine and perfect sound quality. Also, Isbell seems to have it all. Not only is he a brilliant writer of lyrics and melodies, but he's also a superb singer and guitar player. He is for sure an artist I will keep a close eye on from now on. Very good, and on so many levels too.

As for other artist, I very, very, very much regret not seeing Johnny Cash when he performed about an hour and a half from my house in the mid 90's. It was at my all time favorite concert spot, the courtyard of a 16th century castle ruin (as made famous in some cheesy Roxette video some 25 yrs ago). Life got in the way... I would also give some kind of limb to have seen The Smiths in the 80's.

As for living artist I'd like to see, Bob Dylan (on a good day), The Jayhawks and Son Volt would be great. Then there are a few Swedish artists too, but you wouldn't be familiar with them anyway... [biggrin]

Lars

It made me Learn I Shot the Sheriff, which is a gas to sing/play.

Wow, now that's a blast from the past!. I remember giving that song on a 45 to a friend across the street as a b-day present when it came out, had to be the late 70s? Where about in the vid is that? ... if you get a hankerin, post a version - would love to see it?

Rgds - billroy

Although I prefer Mike Bloomfield, the most chromatic blues player ever, on electric there is no doubt that Clapton's :Crossroads" remains the best blues rock solo ever laid down. But I always found Clapton's acoustic playing sterile. A great technician but too precise and too clean, if that makes any sense.

As far as who is out there today, my favorite on electric and acoustic remains Alvin Youngblood Hart. If you have ever seen him, he is one of those guys who just stalks a stage. He has been described as the cosmic love child of Howlin' Wolf and Link Wray.

Here is a taste

As far as who is out there today, my favorite on electric and acoustic remains Alvin Youngblood Hart. If you have ever seen him, he is one of those guys who just stalks a stage. He has been described as the cosmic love child of Howlin' Wolf and Link Wray.

Here is a taste

[thumbup] , Thanks ZW! Had not discovered him before, but just found someone I'm going to find out a lot more about!

. Hey Hey. Anyone got anyone else they'd like to give a shout out to?

Charlie Musselwhite....

plus, all fans of Clapton must see the 2007 *Crossroads* DVD where he does a version of Queen of Hearts with some fantastic help...just a fabulous rendition.

[thumbup] , Thanks ZW! Had not discovered him before, but just found someone I'm going to find out a lot more about!

Alvis' first LP came out in the mid-1990s. I picked that cut because he is playing in Open G which you recently posted about.

Joe Walsh still rocks out big time, and his open air shows reek of pot and beer (here in Canada anyway) he may not be Eric BUT his shows are FUN and he swings his axe like a viking !

I saw Clapton in Hyde Park in London around 2010ish. The show had a great lineup-Scott McKeon was wonderful, John Mayer seemed to be sleepwalking, Sheryl Crow was unbelievably terrific (I wasn’t a fan when I arrived, I was a massive one when I left) and the atmosphere was high for Eric, but his show was a bit of a letdown. The acoustic section in the middle was brilliant (especially Before You Accuse Me, which set the night on fire) but the second half of the band set was really uninspired bar-band blues-rock. I’m a big blues fan and have been playing the blues for many years, but it was surprisingly sloppy stuff. The band sounded bored, and even the great Abe Laboriel seemed to hit the snooze button on his musical alarm clock at the halfway point. Doyle Bramhall took many of the solos, and whilst he sounded eerily like Clapton himself, it made a lot of people around me question why the great man himself was chunking our rhythm parts whilst his wing man was taking the solos.

Maybe they were jet lagged or at the end of a long and tiring tour, but it was a bit of a disappointment after forking out a huge amount of money for the tickets.

Kind of an embarrassing bit of eclectic tastes, but I wish I had been able to see the J Geils Band wayyyyy back in the day before they hit Pop Rock fame. I love that old Blues-Rock thing they had going in their early 70's stuff. Also would have liked to see Frank Yankovic, the Polka great. I missed his show by a single day. Saw a review of it in the paper and I didn't even know he was in town.

I am also kicking myself in the butt forever and ever because I gave up my Prince ticket to someone who was just a-begging and pleading anyone for a ticket. I'm too nice for my own good sometime. IIRC, it was the Purple Rain tour.

Oh well......I've not been to a ton of shows, but I have seen some good ones. No real complaints.

Kind of an embarrassing bit of eclectic tastes, but I wish I had been able to see the J Geils Band wayyyyy back in the day before they hit Pop Rock fame. I love that old Blues-Rock thing they had going in their early 70's stuff. Also would have liked to see Frank Yankovic, the Polka great. I missed his show by a single day. Saw a review of it in the paper and I didn't even know he was in town.

I am also kicking myself in the butt forever and ever because I gave up my Prince ticket to someone who was just a-begging and pleading anyone for a ticket. I'm too nice for my own good sometime. IIRC, it was the Purple Rain tour.

Oh well......I've not been to a ton of shows, but I have seen some good ones. No real complaints.

Lol - J Geils band, they're a boston local and I believe still live in the area. I think someone just told me they saw a double show of J Geils and Aerosmith (another boston band) not too long back, but I might be mis recollecting

Purple Rain - I feel that tour (along with Michael Jackson) jump started pop performances as rock concerts, didn't see either, wouldn't have wanted to back then, but in retrospect, I would jump at the chance to see either if given a time machine

Years ago, I saw Mance Lipscomb....would have loved to have seen Mississippi John Hurt and Huddie Ledbetter. A few years ago, I saw John Sebastian and David Grissmon in an acoustic concert...lots of finger pickin' and Delta blues.

Never did get to see Bloomfield, but I'm right there with you on that one, Zomby.

Luckily got spoiled seeing people like Doc & Merle Watson, Norman & Nancy Blake, Bill Monroe, David Grisman & others in very small venues.

Last big outdoor concert I recall going to was Bonnie Raitt with Lyle Lovett (quite a few years ago now). Tour bus caught on fire behind the stage, right in the middle of a song. Delayed the concert for about an hour. Bonnie commented on how her fingers weren't working yet because it was cold.

Keep it indoors, warm, and cozy.

I saw Clapton in Hyde Park in London around 2010ish. The show had a great lineup-Scott McKeon was wonderful, John Mayer seemed to be sleepwalking, Sheryl Crow was unbelievably terrific (I wasn’t a fan when I arrived, I was a massive one when I left) and the atmosphere was high for Eric, but his show was a bit of a letdown. The acoustic section in the middle was brilliant (especially Before You Accuse Me, which set the night on fire) but the second half of the band set was really uninspired bar-band blues-rock. I’m a big blues fan and have been playing the blues for many years, but it was surprisingly sloppy stuff. The band sounded bored, and even the great Abe Laboriel seemed to hit the snooze button on his musical alarm clock at the halfway point. Doyle Bramhall took many of the solos, and whilst he sounded eerily like Clapton himself, it made a lot of people around me question why the great man himself was chunking our rhythm parts whilst his wing man was taking the solos.

Maybe they were jet lagged or at the end of a long and tiring tour, but it was a bit of a disappointment after forking out a huge amount of money for the tickets.

I first saw Clapton at Cream's first U.S. gig. The Who were also on the bill during their first US. Tour. But I always thought Clapton was at his absolute best with Delaney & Bonnie. If you never saw them, that was one hell of a rhythm section.

I first saw Clapton at Cream's first U.S. gig. The Who were also on the bill during their first US. Tour. But I always though Clapton was at his absolute best with Delaney & Bonnie. If you never saw them, that was one hell of a rhythm section.

Indeed. We call them "The Dominos".

rct

The one electric guy Id still like to hear play is Bill Kirchen (played with Commander Cody). He tears it up pretty good.

Old icons Id like to see (but probably wont) in a small club or hall: Taylor, Crosby, Jorma, Bromberg. Might yet have a shot at the latter 2. An an ideal world, Paul Geremia, but I doubt he will recover sufficnetly to perform again.

I’m with BK

Not only have they taken the very essence of a rock concert away , but because there’s zero danger involved anymore it means that all the annoying people aren’t afraid to go . Sitting beside someone with their G&T is not conducive with a rock n roll show

Be better watching for a stones tribute bad and seeing them in a smaller venue

There’s a chance of a bit of attitude and fun

And it won’t cost you the extortion that they charge at the stadium gigs

I get ya, but the Stones show somehow was able to feel intimate and 'small' even though there were some 60,000 odd people present. I reckon its a combination of outstanding PA, with speakers all around the venue, which made it it sound like they were playing in a club, ultry clear, and the stage visual / vids. But it felt intimate, and it was great.

As I get older, my tolerance for being treated like cattle at stadiums and other huge venues is pretty much gone. I'd much rather see a group or artist at a performance hall or theater. Some of the worst shows I've ever seen were at indoor stadiums played at ridiculous volume levels way beyond what the building was designed for. I blame the sound men on that.

Archived