Gibson Brands Forums

Historic Tail peace Tail Piece

Gibson57Champ

If I want to remove my Nashville bridge and add a ABR-1 on my Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003 do you believe it would fit ? I was told from a guitar tech the that he believes it will not fit on my guitar with out trying ? What’s your opinion Sir .

You can not directly make this swap. You will need to change the Mounting posts, there are kits available for this conversion.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bridge-and-tailpieces/abr-1-bridges/abr-1-parts/conversion-posts-install-a-abr-1-on-gibson-guitar-with-nashville-bridge-nickel/

Hope that helps

Johnny

I just enlarged the holes to fit existing posts. 10 years and no issues.

I thought the ABR1 bridge had small diameter studs screwed directly into the maple cap.

Where as the Nashville bridge uses a lager bushing pressed into the maple cap which the studs then screw into.

Drilling a bigger hole will not help an ABR1 installation

I thought the ABR1 bridge had small diameter studs screwed directly into the maple cap.

Where as the Nashville bridge uses a lager bushing pressed into the maple cap which the studs then screw into.

That is correct the post on an original ABR is smaller in diameter and did screw directly into the top. The conversion posts I linked have the smaller diameter on the bridge side and larger diameter to fit the bushings of an already installed Nashville.

Drilling larger holes to replace an ABR with a Nashville would work though.

I believe Zeplin meant that it was the holes of the ABR-1 which were enlarged to accept the Nashville studs - otherwise the post makes no sense.

If it were me then, even being the tight-fisted Scot that I am, I'd shell-out the twelve bucks and not risk f-ing up a bridge.

Pip.

I believe Zeplin meant that it was the holes of the ABR-1 which were enlarged to accept the Nashville studs - otherwise the post makes no sense.

If it were me then, even being the tight-fisted Scot that I am, I'd shell-out the twelve bucks and not risk f-ing up a bridge.

Pip.

You are correct, sir. Did it on a drill press with a #19 drill bit. Didn't know about the conversion kits at that time or even if they were available then.

It does when you enlarge the holes on the bridge. I could have been clearer on that.

It does when you enlarge the holes on the bridge. I could have been clearer on that.

Yup, that makes a big difference, not sure I'd take a drill bit to the bridge, I'd be way too worried about destroying it.

Seems your courage has paid off.

Johnny

You are correct, sir. Did it on a drill press with a #19 drill bit. Didn't know about the conversion kits at that time or even if they were available then.

I congratulate you on your abilities!

And yes; you might well be correct in that they might not have been available when you modified your own example.

Pip.

Archived