Gibson Brands Forums

Fire On the Mountain

duluthdan

Is1xmmH.jpg

Evacuated as this raced down the mountain to my neighborhood last night. Exploded in 20 minutes Lake Christine fire Basalt Colorado. I had my trailer hooked up and ready to launch. When this thing crested and wind shift sent it Roaring down towards my hood, the dog, the trailer, a safe and a J-35 Vintage Collectors Edition made the dash outta here. I spent much of the night asking myself why didn’t I take my 57 J50, or the J45 Legend, but I had no time to dwell, so I guess I answered the question “which would you take?” All is well now. House is intact, and my rack is still here.

in the midst of the terror you must have felt it's great to hear that you are safe. The bonus bit is you still have your possessions.

Growing up in the boreal forests of north-western Ontario I know how quickly these things can spread and how much devastation they can create.

Hope the worst is over,Dan!

Wow. Holy Crap ! Awful lot of traffic - going in other directions. Are they not all trying to evacuate?

Now that your heart has slowed down to 100mph - how did you happen to select the J-35? Was it something you'd more or less already considered?

....Evacuated as this raced down the mountain to my neighborhood last night.....

Yikes! Good to hear you and your stuff are OK. That is freaking scary, especially since I just sold a house in SoCal and bought a place essentially in the middle of a forest, from which this shot was taken....

Fires, stay away!

hht483.jpg

That's scary, Dan. Glad you're okay. As Sal mentioned, there's a song in this. This is truly songwriting material. A real event and "writer's license" can create some gems. ------- This came out of a real event in 1949. If I remember correctly, think I read that the writer read about it in a book called "Young men and fire" or "You men in fire."---something like that. Fortunately, your story didn't end-up tragic for you personally, but it likely had that impact on someone. I think your style and technique of writing and playing is ideal for this kind of folk tale. Hoping you find the "muse." Here's the guy doing his song.

Wow, that is quite a story - glad it had a happy ending. I am also surrounded by forest and there have been some major fires in the NJ Pine Barrens. Just lucky so far. Last year an arsonist started a fire in the woods about 1/2 mile from me. Luckily somebody drove by just as it was happening and alerted the fire department. As much as I love my guitars, I doubt they would even make the list if time and space were limited. They are just possessions that could be replaced. My first guitar, a 1974 J-50, is already on permanent loan to my son in law so it would survive. :)

Geez Dan that'll make a fellow snap to attention. Spring Creek fire just South of here will end being Colorado's biggest ever. Been thinking about what to pack up if need be. Guitars, photo albums, two file cabinet drawers.

No room for the cat ...

Archived