Gibson Brands Forums

To Leave Something Behind

drathbun

After watching the fabulous film "The Accountant" with Ben Affleck (he was in the film, I didn't watch the film with him), the end title music stayed with me. It sounded like a cross between Johnny Cash, Tom Waits and Tom Wilson. The song is "To Leave Something Behind" and was written and performed by Sean Rowe. In a live performance, Rowe mentions he wrote it "inspired" by his son. I worked on it for a while as Rowe tends to play and sing at different tempos and, like Springsteen, Rowe likes to fit his lyrics into his melody lines regardless of whether they scan on not. He also rather loosey-goosey with his embellishments, fills and number of bars between verses and choruses. Of course, this all makes his performance real, raw, emotional and fantastic. I do NOT do justice to this song so please watch or listen to Rowe's version. And also, watch "The Accountant". I had to watch the film twice and the second time was even better than the first. I'm hearing that Affleck has already signed up to do "The Accountant II".

Here's my YouTube video. The lyrics are printed in the information section of the video but I'll post them here too. Very thoughtful and resonant song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVINRUUx8oE

To Leave Something Behind

Sean Rowe

I cannot say that I know you well

But you can't lie to me with all these books that you sell

I'm not trying to follow you to the end of the world

I'm just trying to leave something behind

Words have come from men and mouse

But I can't help thinking that I've heard the wrong crowd

When all the water is gone my job will be too

And I'm trying to leave something behind

Oh money is free but love costs more than our bread

And the ceiling is hard to reach

Oh the future ahead is broken and red

But I'm trying to leave something behind

This whole world is a foreign land

We swallow the moon but we don't know our own hand

We're running with the case but we ain't got the gold

Yet we're trying to leave something behind

My friends I believe we are at the wrong fight

And I cannot read what I did not write

I've been to His house, but the master is gone

But I'd like to leave something behind

There is a beast who has taken my blame

You can put me to bed but you can't feel my pain

When the machine has taken the soul from the man

It's time to leave something behind

Oh the future ahead is already dead

And I'm trying to leave something behind

I got this feeling that I'm still at the shore

And pockets don't know what it means to be poor

I can get through the wall if you give me a door

So I can leave something behind

Oh wisdom is lost in the trees somewhere

You're not going to find it in some mental gray hair

It's locked up from those who hurry ahead

And it's time to leave something behind

When my son is a man he will know what I meant

I was just trying to leave something behind

I was just trying to leave something behind

Edited by drathbun

Bravo! I thought you did very well with this one. It's not an easy one to do well. There is sooooo much personality and flair in the original that is tough to capture while staying within one's own particular style. I have done this one a few times. I'm sure you do it much better than I do.

One thing I LOVE about the original is that big, raw, woody and edgy bass notes. I don't know if they are dubbed in or done kind of a Neil Young style thing. I've been curious how he actually gets that. Any idea?

I'm sure you've seen his original on you tube. Any idea what that tape on his guitar accomplishes?

Again, very nice job on this one. [thumbup]

I did try watching that film when they gave us a free preview of the pay stations. An accountant with autism and a high powered rifle. OK, I can buy it. But I have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to movies on TV (other than those with Cagney in them) so after the formula wore thin, I started wandering in and out and did not stick around long enough to hear what music was playing over the credits. But maybe I should give it a listen. But I liked your run through of it. And sure liked it a whole lot better than the movie.

Edited by zombywoof

Great job! I'd not heard this song before and like it very much.

Bravo! I thought you did very well with this one. It's not an easy one to do well. There is sooooo much personality and flair in the original that is tough to capture while staying within one's own particular style. I have done this one a few times. I'm sure you do it much better than I do.

One thing I LOVE about the original is that big, raw, woody and edgy bass notes. I don't know if they are dubbed in or done kind of a Neil Young style thing. I've been curious how he actually gets that. Any idea?

I'm sure you've seen his original on you tube. Any idea what that tape on his guitar accomplishes?

Again, very nice job on this one. [thumbup]

I stumbled onto a YT video of Sean Rowe covering 1952 Vincent Black Lightning a couple years ago and was blown away.

Subsequently, I watched an interview with him and he said in regards to the tape "his real goal was to be able to recognize his guitar in a corn field from 500 yards away." In the same interview, he says for the low E string he uses a medium electric string. Here's the video. Guitar specifics mentioned starting at 4:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwJbDhxfjIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrGOs1a1lOk

Edited by thegreatgumbino
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting that YouTube interview with Sean gumbino! It was great to listen to his inspirations, his voice dropping DURING a song when he was 11 and in a kids garage band, and his "organic" altering of his acoustic with dollar bills and pens. It is cool what he's done with that Tak. The humbucker embedded in the Feedback Buster is way cool as is his use of electric flats with the low E a medium electric. He sure gets a thumpy, percussive sound from it. I prefer the crystal ring and sustain of a full-on SJ200 myself but to each his own.

ZWoof: The film is worth a second look. It is more than the action/thriller genre it presents. The film is constructed in a way that is metaphorical for the theme. The film is a jigsaw puzzle, not unlike the one the protagonist puts together upside down.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. The song is very Dylanesque in its lyrical content. I found it quite haunting.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 1/4/2020 at 9:19 PM, joecffv said:

like it but it is driving me crazy that  ... i keep trying to put other words to it from maybe dylan or someone similar from my past memories  :)

Amanda by Don Williams